X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good, Bad and the Ugly of Wind Power

*Spilit from Hydrodam thread*

Another approach to storing Scottish Wind Power

1. Wind power currently converts wind to erratic AC that is electronically converted to DC then to synchronous 240VAC (in the UK at least) - Three conversions of energy.
    2. The land underneath wind farms is still usable arable land (debatable?) but.......
    3. ...the land under the soil could be utilised for a series of highly pressurised air/hydro storage tunnels. The turbines mechanically/electrically compress and pressurise air/water in vast underground storage tunnels that can be utilised to energise air/hydro turbines at synchronous AC voltage.
    4. This gives a buffered output with more of the wind power being used efficiently because the data of energy stored can be monitored in advance.
    5. This could make load balancing far more predictable.
    6. Extra durable Turbines could have mechanical compressors AND alternator assemblies combined so that relatively simple infinite gearing (think Volvo 340 drivetrain) could absorb much stronger winds than are currently deemed safe.
    7. The underground storage doesn't have to be the same footprint of the Wind farm.

A. None of the upheaval of pumped storage.
    B. Less environmental impact above ground.
    C. Tunnel boring technology is very well advanced.
    D. The Tubines could be purely mechanical devices, therefore, cheaper.
    E. Easy to put Solar PV in the loop by directly compressing the air/fluid mix.
    F. Solar thermal can be used to cool the PV and add pressure to the storage with added heat.

one other thing........all domestic dwellings within sight/lee/shadow of a wind farm should have free electricity

Shoot it down folks.....

I have to say I am not against renewables by any means, but Ive just recently helped fight off an aplication for a turbine in a completetly inapropriate place. Its seems too easy to stick these things up all over the shop, and the effect of them on tourism cannot be underestimated
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for 'saving' this one Muz
      Actually, it's the science and engineering that interest me - is it feasible? Is it doable? Is it worth it?

Buffering a wind turbine's output to compressed gas/fluid instead of chemicals has to be worth a thought though.

Politically my view is the craziness of London based politicians consistently overturning local planners decisions not to erect inland turbines must make a lot of blood boil.
      WT's, IMHO, should not be on land. Did the planned turbine you voted against get refused by local planners? If so, will there be an appeal?

Comment

...was driving through some gorgeous countryside in Cumbria this morning and, as she was pointed at a wide, panaromic vista, my far better half said "...there's an application for a load of WT's there...ongoing at the moment.."

Nuts.

Comment

Working...
        X