Volvo EC15B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B

Hi, im having a problem with my Volvo EC15B. The engine starts and runs for 9 seconds and then cuts out. Ive been told that this could be an electrical problem. Has anybody had this issue before and knows how to trace it?

Any help would be appreciated as this one has got me stumped.

Hi Pete welcome to the forum

Give me a mo to collect me thoughts after some admin business .. and I'll see what springs to mind most prominently
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Ok .. there are three main sensors linked to the ECU .. the water temp sender .. the oil pressure switch .. and the air vacuum sensor, the first two will cause a shut down if they go into fault.

The ECU itself can also develop a wiring harness fault.

However .. that may not be the fault .. what else do you do when the shut down happens ? ... drop the left hand console perhaps, which engages hydraulic flow ?

Can you give us more info .. engine revs ... hot or cold etc ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by pete_massey View Post
        Hi, im having a problem with my Volvo EC15B. The engine starts and runs for 9 seconds and then cuts out.
        Hello Pete,
        ..is it 9 seconds every time?

Comment

Thanks guys for the info this happens when the digger is started from cold it never gets chance to warm up. It will start instantly but only run for 9 seconds every time.

Comment

Most likely oil pressure switch then .. now lets not get too exited though .. if the switch is doing its job .. its not detecting enough pressure which could suggest lower pressure from the oil pump .. perhaps because the oil is too thick or cold, however thats not a common problem.

However.. when Ive seen this, 9 seconds is too long.. it usually happens after 3.

Possible workaround is to bung the revs to full then start .. and see if it keeps running .. If that doesnt work disconnect the spade connector to the sender which is a 27mm hex brass plug with a black bakelite top and 15Amp tag on it although if covered in shit you wont make any of that out.. but its down by the fly wheel if I remember correctly.

Try those first and see where we go from there .. theres a whole load of other potential things but these are the simplest to start with

One of the next is that you could have a short in the loom somewhere

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. Got the multimeter out today to sort the problem checked oil switch etc. Then checked out the electric engine stop electro switch on the injector pump.Removed the unit off the pump and engine runs and keeps running. Got new unit 130 quid !! plus vat this has cured it again thanks for the help

Comment

Now that we helped fix it well will want to see some pictures of it working..............
                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
                X