Petter diesel engine AA1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petter diesel engine AA1

Anyone got any information on this engine?
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Whats it on ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I bought it today, it has a belt driven hydraulic pump and it is an ex uk army unit. No tank or valves just engine &pump.

Comment

Don't really know anything about them is that an english made engine? What are your plans for it?

Comment

Tis a 3.5hp Antique .....Before my time anyway .....looks like they were a popular engine in boats .

Comment

Worked on them about 35 years back.Pig to start if you don`t know the procedure even if the timing,pump,injector,bump clearance and compression is good.
            Must have been made in the hundreds of thousands as the model number changed over the years but still basically the same engine.
            Ask me something and embarass me. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Gridley View Post
              Worked on them about 35 years back.Pig to start if you don`t know the procedure ......Ask me something and embarass me. :D
              Oh come on Stock ,hurry up and ask him something ...............

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                Oh come on Stock ,hurry up and ask him something ...............
                He`s trying to think of an easy one to start with. :D

Comment

Either that or he's fixed it
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

COME ON STOCK ask him a question will ya ,the suspense is killing me ....Well really now just how hard can it be to think up a question ....

Well if you want to be antisocial you had better buy this to read ......
                    http://www.jensales.com/Lister-Pette...3_p_77490.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                      COME ON STOCK ask him a question will ya ,the suspense is killing me ....Well really now just how hard can it be to think up a question ..
                      how long ya gonna keep us in suspenders then stock ?

you asked ... the forum has answered you, with an experienced memeber, who has kindly offered his assistance ?

Here I ask one for ye since yeve gone shy

Gridley , sir

would they be suitable for welders, water pumps and the likes ? or more suited to cement mixers ? what were the most of the ones you worked on from ?

Comment

Evening folks been away for a couple of days, work has to be done too you know.................

The engine is a nato/UK army unit that won't start. We primed it with oil but no luck, opened the fuel line to the injector but very limited diesel being ejected. Opened the Broyce pump, cleaned the check valve, checked the copper washer and o ring for damage but none apparent, I was unable to remove the pump even though it was loose once the retaining nuts were removed. It appears that the linkage to the rack won't release.
                        There is good compression so anyone got any ideas..............

Comment

A squirt of Ether/Aerostart while cranking the sucker ,if it fires you know straight away it's a fuel problem..
                          Yes I know you don't like that idea but a little squirt of spray wont hurt anything ...But a big squirt will make it rattle and bang ...

Comment

Can you hear the injector "squeak" as you turn it over slowly by hand?
                            I can`t remember an issue getting the pump out apart from one or two of the nuts were a bit difficult to get on to,but if you`re getting diesel out the pump it`s probably ok.
                            Official starting method is
                            Prime with oil
                            Turn over by hand until you hear the injector squeak
                            Rock engine crank back and forth so injector squeaks ten times
                            Should then go on first pull/crank

That is the official starting method.
                            Back in the seventies I was garage foreman with a haulage firm.Boss decided to get into builders supplies and small plant hire.First machine he bought was a pedestrian roller with a rope start AA1 in it.
                            We spent many miserable days trying to get it started.It would go out on hire followed by one of us when the customer complained You`re hands were raw pulling the rope.
                            We finally got a Petter service engineer out to it.He walked up to it,carried out the above procedure and the b*st*rd started first time,and everytime thereafter if we did what he told us.
                            I then went to a planthire company who had hundreds of these,mainly on waterpumps but I very rarely worked on anything smaller than the PH`s there.
                            Mixers had mainly Listers in them with the odd PAZ1

Comment

Can you hear the injector "squeak" as you turn it over slowly by hand?
                              I can`t remember an issue getting the pump out apart from one or two of the nuts were a bit difficult to get on to,but if you`re getting diesel out the pump it`s probably ok.
                              Official starting method is
                              Prime with oil
                              Turn over by hand until you hear the injector squeak
                              Rock engine crank back and forth so injector squeaks ten times
                              .......you forgot "take away the first number you thought of"

Comment

Working...
                              X