Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery charging problem

Hi
    For some time I have been wondering if my DB 990 charges properly, always spins over a lot faster after charging up battery, which needs to be every 2/3 weeks this cold weather, so after looking on you tube and borrowing a multimeter off I went.
    Anyway at rest I had 12.6v, so started up and yes I had 12.6v, now you tube led me to believe I should have at least 13.6v.
    So decided dynamo needed checking, back on you tube, did the test with F and D wired together and had 23.7v, pretty good I thought, must be fault in regulator.
    Back to you tube but didn't get much luck, anyway after taking out throttle linkage, loosening steering column, and shunting bonnet I am in behind dash, I have a Lucas RB 108 with D E A F terminals, did volt check, D 12.9 , A 12.8, F 12.7, then I find that the earth wire just hangs around, not a very good earth I'm thinking, here's my problem, make good the earth, then I have D 12.9, A 0.04, F 12.7, I do now realise that I should have done A on an amp setting, anyway after putting all back I'm charging at 13.0v, am improvement , but not as much as I'd hoped for.
    Now next morning, I have 12.6v and after firing up yes I have 12.6v, (short lived euphoria).
    Where do I go from here, I believe that this regulator is adjustable (you tube) does anyone think this is my next move?
    Or have any other suggestions
    Thanks in anticipation, Pete
    PS tractor is a 1970 model and used every day for scraping up the cattle yards.

I used to have this problem with one of my old Fordsons .. which I fixed by chance.

The charging light stayed on at most revs, indicating a fault, but the fan belt was fine , but at higher revs it went out. Usually ( in good health) it would go out just over tick over. You can adjust the regulator to start recharging at a variety of revs, because the voltage from the dynamo increases as the revs do, but you have to stop it sending too much charge to the battery otherwise it cooks it

I first changed the regulator believing it to be faulty, but actually theres not much to go wrong with them, sometimes they just need a clean at the contacts, but that didnt change anything, despite me fooking about with the two screws on the back of it. Frustratedly, I then changed the dynamo for a new one.. and guess what ? ... no change .. so I inspected the old one and pulled it apart, I fastidiously cleaned the commutator and removed gunk gently from between the plates, gave it a polish with some fine emery.. problem solved Shes as good as new. I thought it was goosed, but it just needed a clean.

Why the new dynamo didnt work is beyond me , and thats what troubles me yet, I can only assume it has a different output, despite the fact I was assured it work work fine all the connections looked the same ... The tractor was a 1963 Super Major

The other factor in the equation was that the battery was knacked also, and just wouldnt hold a charge .. we had a sucession of cold winters up in the North West of Scotland, that weakened the battery beyond serviceable state, when it wasnt getting charged regularly.

HTH Pete

BTW .. I fondly remember on old uncle of mine used to carry a hand sickle on his DB scraper tractor in the 70's as the ignition was buggered, and he just yanked it between the 2 poles on the starter to fire it up ... ran like that for years .. they dont make em like they used to
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      I used to have this problem with one of my old Fordsons .. which I fixed by chance.

The charging light stayed on at most revs, indicating a fault, but the fan belt was fine , but at higher revs it went out. Usually ( in good health) it would go out just over tick over. You can adjust the regulator to start recharging at a variety of revs, because the voltage from the dynamo increases as the revs do, but you have to stop it sending too much charge to the battery otherwise it cooks it

I first changed the regulator believing it to be faulty, but actually theres not much to go wrong with them, sometimes they just need a clean at the contacts, but that didnt change anything, despite me fooking about with the two screws on the back of it. Frustratedly, I then changed the dynamo for a new one.. and guess what ? ... no change .. so I inspected the old one and pulled it apart, I fastidiously cleaned the commutator and removed gunk gently from between the plates, gave it a polish with some fine emery.. problem solved Shes as good as new. I thought it was goosed, but it just needed a clean.

Why the new dynamo didnt work is beyond me , and thats what troubles me yet, I can only assume it has a different output, despite the fact I was assured it work work fine all the connections looked the same ... The tractor was a 1963 Super Major

The other factor in the equation was that the battery was knacked also, and just wouldnt hold a charge .. we had a sucession of cold winters up in the North West of Scotland, that weakened the battery beyond serviceable state, when it wasnt getting charged regularly.

HTH Pete

BTW .. I fondly remember on old uncle of mine used to carry a hand sickle on his DB scraper tractor in the 70's as the ignition was buggered, and he just yanked it between the 2 poles on the starter to fire it up ... ran like that for years .. they dont make em like they used to
      Thanks for that Muz
      I don't have a problem with ignition light, that goes out fine its just not charging the battery enough although it must be putting something in or it would go dead much quicker than it does.
      If all else fails I may try stripping dynamo apart for a quick look.

I also have used the sickle key on mine in the past, only I think it was a screwdriver or spanner that I used.
      Cheers Pete

Comment

A new dynamo needs flashed off a battery to set the polarity before it will charge.
        A genuine Lucas used to have that in the instructions in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridley View Post
          A new dynamo needs flashed off a battery to set the polarity before it will charge.
          A genuine Lucas used to have that in the instructions in the box.
          Ah Thanks Mark That'll be the answer ... spose I should have known since ive already flashed an older power major dynamo to convert the tractor from positive to negative earth .. I'll need to see if I can find the sheet on how to do it again
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Here`s a link to polarising dynamos.It`s a bit long winded but does explain it.It`s that long since I done one that I wouldn`t be able to do it from memory either.
            Have you still got your Fordson Major? My all time favourite tractor.I`ve always fancied building a Triple D,even replicas are making £30-40K.

http://matchlessclueless.com/electri...-lucas-dynamo/

Comment

Working...
            X