X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Levels

On the last job I was working on, I was using one of these

http://www.datumproducts.com/quattro.html

The site had some really flat levels that drains had to go into, and it would have been impossible to do it by eye.. but this level made it a real breeze to work out the falls

So I was thinking about getting one ... I think they are about £550 which I think is pretty reasonable .. I'd still need to buy a tripod and staff though ... any of you guys used something similar, with any advice on the gear ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Hey muz. never heard of that make before. We have two Topcon levels that do the falls. wouldnt be without them. aslong as u set her up rite and work in straight lines you can work to millimeters. lol That make you showed is probly as good as any but for the same sort of money you could pick up a topcon and in my opionin it would be a beter buy. If in a few years you decide to up grade it to the newer model you would have people que'n up to buy your second hand topcon. 1 feature our levels lack and i think would be dead handy is a remote. When tilting the beam to give the gradient its a two man job. 1 holding the staff with the receiver and the other standing at the tripod pushing the botton on the unit to tilt the beam. A remote that would work the tilt from the receiver would be some job. I think you can get it but it be big money i reckon

Comment

I have been meaning to get a laser level for years but never had the spare cash to go buy one! Is on my long list of things I want though!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbozaxis View Post
        Hey muz. never heard of that make before. We have two Topcon levels that do the falls. wouldnt be without them. aslong as u set her up rite and work in straight lines you can work to millimeters. lol That make you showed is probly as good as any but for the same sort of money you could pick up a topcon and in my opionin it would be a beter buy. If in a few years you decide to up grade it to the newer model you would have people que'n up to buy your second hand topcon. 1 feature our levels lack and i think would be dead handy is a remote. When tilting the beam to give the gradient its a two man job. 1 holding the staff with the receiver and the other standing at the tripod pushing the botton on the unit to tilt the beam. A remote that would work the tilt from the receiver would be some job. I think you can get it but it be big money i reckon
        I didnt get to really mess with it, so I dont know what all the features were. One thing that impressed me, was how quickly it auto levelled so you could start using it in seconds. Why would you need to tilt the beam (sorry, bit new to this) .. couldnt you just work out the differences in heights from a point to a point ?
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yeah we had a lecia before the topcon and it was leveled manualy you had to screw we fings around to level it then if you tracked the digger past and the ground moved it turned off and you had to reset it. The topcon level you set her ontop of the tripod and push the botton and she levels herself.

This mite not make sense to you but i hope it does. It sounds simple in my head but getting it to the computer screen is another thing. lol

Rite when doing a sewer If say your layin 2 lenths of 4inch pipe your going have at least a foot of a fall You'l set the lazer at the start of your dig ie a outlet from a manhole. Measure 12meters (in the direction) your digging set the reciever level with the ground at that point. When she bleeps level measure down the staff a foot and move the receiver to that point. Now make'n sure your staff is in the same position as before get someone to hold it there and walk back to the level Theres to arrows on the unit for up or down. you push the botton to move it down (this is tilting the beam on the machine untill it picks up the receiver again which will be a foot below the original mark) Then take the staff back to the start of the dig (Say it be an outlet of a manhole etc) place the bottom of the staff at that point and move the receiver up ontill it bleeps level again. this means as you dig back when you reach the 12meter mark your dig will be a foot lower than the outlet where you started from. Im sorry im not very good at explain'n it. but honestly when you do it a few times it'l come naturly to you. Im sure theres someone else on here that could explain it beter than me.

Comment

remote

groundwork co i did a bit for had a remote control one ,great when you were on your own setting up falls

Comment

Originally posted by jimbozaxis View Post
              Im sorry im not very good at explain'n it. but honestly when you do it a few times it'l come naturly to you. Im sure theres someone else on here that could explain it beter than me.
              I think I have ye Jimbo .. a fine enough explanation .. it basically works out the grade (because of the angle) so theres no maths to do for the digger driver an his mate .. you set the fall , and the distance on the base unit.... and just check the dig depth as ye go .. cool

Comment

Yip you've got it. Its really simple when you do it a few times. What i do then is dig out a few inches lower and set a few bricks in the trench to the dig level with the laser. And then use the bricks as a guide to level your pipe bedding. (rember'n to take them out again of course)

Another tip i picked up which is really simple aswell is when digging foundations rather than use'n the staff i use a piece of lath. Set the bottom of it at your dig just like you would with the staff. But then Drive a nail in 9 or 12 inches up (depending on your depth of concrete) This way you can check the dig and drive in a pin or peg to your concrete depth use'n the nail as your guide on top of it at the same time.

Comment

I always use a water-level for making datum references.....never fails. It is a 2 man job but it goes round bends, walls, through out of sight doorways and works up to 30m point to point.....very accurate although I'd probably be laughed offsite with that and steel toe-capped Wellies...

Comment

Jack , Out of interest ,How is a water level a two man job ?
                    The pool installer I work for has a water level for doing the pool digs .
                    It is a 20 litre container With a hose coming out near the bottom .
                    Fill container with water and food dye to make it easier to see .Tape the clear pipe to a stick or piece of pipe .Mark the Datum point .measure up to the pool level points and ground level at top of pool Job done .

Comment

I have this for about ten years can't fault it. My next purchase will be a biplane grade laser. The Laser uses ordinary AA batteries so you are never caught and the receiver /remote uses a 9v...............

http://www.vektools.com.au/robotoolz...el-p-1589.html
                      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                        Jack , Out of interest ,How is a water level a two man job ?
                        I supposed I meant the bit when you go around a corner...more internal levels than outside.

Anyone know how the ancient Egyptian pyramid engineers got their levels?
                        Last edited by jackpreacher; 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

using this type of instrument................

might be of interest to some one...........
                          https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Ce79uaIwv3RFdv
                          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

........just pop that in the back of the car.....

Comment

Working...
                            X