Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12HP petrol Lawn Tractor conversion to 36VDC electric

Project Aim

To convert a Westwood T1200 lawn tractor/mower to run on electricity.

Parts Bought so far

1. 6KW 48V DC ex-forflift motor - £150.00
    2. There is no 2!

This thread may drag on a little as I can only work on the tractor on a Friday.
    I'm doing this for health reasons. The old petrol motor is noisy and, just like any ICE [internal combustion engine] it gives off fumes. Yuk.
    My far better half does the mowing - 3 acres in total - and she hates the fumes and noise.

Mower without engine.jpg
    The mower with the 12HP motor removed...

Where the motor WAS!.jpg

The 6KW motor transplant.jpg
    Ex-Forklift motor

The splined female driveshaft.jpg
    Note the splined shaft. This used to be connected to a hydraulic pump.

Hohoho here we go again another thread to drool at..............................
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

£150 for the motor? Michty me! You get ear defenders for like £20! I got mine for £60 and they have a radio in em! Cheaper and less hassle!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
        £150 for the motor? Michty me! You get ear defenders for like £20! I got mine for £60 and they have a radio in em! Cheaper and less hassle!
        With a wife one can't wear the hearing protectors all the time much as we want too.................... you'll find out Jim in good time ...........

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
          Hohoho here we go again another thread to drool at..............................
          You're too kind Stock........but there is method in the madness - by starting the thread I have to finish the project on time, which in this case is by April, or by whenever the grass needs cutting.

Has anyone else followed what appeared to be a good, juicy thread/project only to get to the last page and .....well......you know......it just fades out..?
          Last edited by jackpreacher; 08-03-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I actually got two motors - the other one is a 3.8KW, 48VDC @£100.00. Both the 6KW & the 3.8KW weigh 30kg each.

(BTW, I don't know if anyone followed my crazy idea to convert my EC15 into an electric digger...?....well, the 6.8KW motor would ideal for that as it is already setup for a hydraulic pump installation. Still, that's water under the bridge now.)

The additional 3.8KW motor will be used to accept auxiliary drive from a crossflow water turbine that will be driven by our private water supply (sounds posh eh?) ...and that will be connected to a grid-tied inverter that should offset all electricity usage.

PS- we're not posh and Santander wins most of the house

Comment

Jack, are you planning on juicing this motor with batteries or a really long extension cord? Somehow, I think the operator (your wife) may or may not like the concept of permanently curly hair once she runs the cord over or drives too deep into the drainage ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
                Jack, are you planning on juicing this motor with batteries or a really long extension cord? Somehow, I think the operator (your wife) may or may not like the concept of permanently curly hair once she runs the cord over or drives too deep into the drainage ditch.
                Well Bruce, you've asked the million dollar question!
                In all seriousness though electricity at 12V can be dangerous so 36V or 48V can kill. It has to be able to roam freely over 2/3 acres so deep cycle batteries will be the solution. I'll post the calculations here to fill the thread out as it may take a month to complete.

Battery chemistry will likely be Lead-Acid - ie. NOT Lithium Ion or LiFePo.."..
                Other member input here would be most welcome if not actively encouraged ....this is a first conversion project so I'll get loads wrong........bound to......law of averages....

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                  Well Bruce, you've asked the million dollar question!

Other member input here would be most welcome if not actively encouraged ....this is a first conversion project so I'll get loads wrong........bound to......law of averages....
                  Here's the solu, you just need to keep everything lined up

http://theoverheadwire.blogspot.com/...olleywire.html

Comment

....I only just got that Jim!!!

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
                      Here's the solu, you just need to keep everything lined up

http://theoverheadwire.blogspot.com/...olleywire.html
                      .....damn.....if I'd known it was going to be that easy I would have dismantled the washing machine...

Comment

Well there you go plenty of washing lines that can be juiced up to cut the grass......................

Comment

Another very ambitious project jack ,and a large area for a battery powered mower,so you might have to tow a trailer for extra battery capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                            Another very ambitious project jack ,and a large area for a battery powered mower,so you might have to tow a trailer for extra battery capacity
                            ....or pedals.......

Comment

Batteries

I've decided to buy 4 off Trojan T1275 Deep Cycle Batteries.

These have a capacity of 150Amp.Hours and can be cycled around 500/800 times to a Depth od Discharge of 80% [maximum] but 50% is more acceptable for long life.
                              I'll add the costs as they arrive..

Comment

Working...
                              X