BIG LOAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG LOAD

Recently, I was tasked with surveying a local county road for pre-existing conditions in anticipation of an oversize load being routed over it. Whereas I am not a road engineer, and I didn't portray myself to be one, I was asked by a friend who used to be a heavy haul owner/operator to go out on behalf of the company hired to transport the load. There were given an alternate route to bypass a low bridge. The local county officials must have given cause for concern, thus the request. I went out last week to survey the road by taking photos and noting any imperfections I could. This included spalled or damaged asphalt, crushed or collapsing culverts, utility repairs, etc..

Today, after several false starts earlier in the week, many thanks to the officials who grace the positions of power in the great (NOT!) state of Illinois, the load made it's way to the final destination about 90 miles down the road. My wife and I were on hand to photo the operation and then to once again, survey the road for any apparent damage. It was interesting, if not a little cold with the wind building across the snow-covered plains of northern Illinois. At least the skies were clear and the sun shone. Here's a few photos.
    Attached Files

Probably the best time of year to move a heavy load like that with the ground being frozen. Was there any damage left behind?

Comment

Not one thing that I could see. They were hardly on the road. They went by at about 45 MPH. The grade crossing took more like 20 minutes as they had to ease the binders to allow a little flew in the dollies.

Comment

Doing that here Bruce would require at least six months of planning, then a large cheque to the utilities and roads authority, who would also want a bond for damage. At least three surveys, you the council and road authority and god help you if there is a bridge en route. The survey are detailed ones with every structure needing looking at, then one has to submit a plan for reinforcing any part of the route, alternate routes for traffic every town etc etc etc ....and finally when you plan to move it what hours.................
        when you past a section of road it needs to be resurveyed by you and independent engineer as well as the road authority.................and the haulier requires special permits a €600 a lash per vehicle all paid for by the client.................. The bond can be for three years
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

.....and after all the red tape this happens......

Comment

Naah here a tunnel boring rig on its way to Shells site in Mayo slipped of the road at a bend...................some planning there.............
            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
            X