Hydraulic Problem JCB 801.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Problem JCB 801.5

Hi, I am looking for some advice re topping up the hydraulic fluid on an JCB 801.5 (1998 model I think). It's my father in-law's machine which I'm using for a self build project. It had been working fine, although now thinking about it, it did seem to be slowly loosing some power over the last few weeks. We hired a hydraulic breaker to help get rid of the foundations of the old house, but since connecting the hammer (and removing it again), we've noticed more power loss, and checking, the hydraulic level is showing about minimum. I've got appropriate fluid to top it up, and a 17mm hex key, but we can't get the filler cap open. Is there something special we need to do? What is the correct process for topping it up? We're trying to get hold of the local JCB mechanic we've used before (and he changed the fluid maybe 4 months ago), but can't get hold of him just now so were looking for some advice. Thanks in advance, Robert

Hi Robert ,Welcome to the Forum Mate .Sorry know nothing of the Wee JCBs .But Wee Jim ,has one and hopefully will be able to point you in the right direction .

Comment

Hi Robert

I have the 801.4 anf if it is like mine you top it up via a largr nut outside of the cab oposite side to the fuel filler, it's a big nut around 45mm.

hope this helps

Comment

thanks for the reply. that sounds like it, on the one we've got the fuel filler is under the engine cover at the back while the hydraulic fluid filler is on the right hand side, it's at an angle, recessed maybe half an inch and looks like a big bolt, as you said, about 45mm, with a 17mm hex socket in the middle. Should it just be a case of unscrewing this? It just doesn't want to budge and I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious

Comment

If its a metal cap and not plastic, they can get very tight due to heating and cooling , and its quite a large suface area nut to shift.... my volvo ones take a socket and 24" bar, sometimes, to get them off, and thats even with me only doing them up hand tight a few weeks before hand. Welcome to the forum BTW
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Well, it's stuck on there good! I've got a 17mm hex bit with a 3/8 drive, and couldn't get enough purchase with just a small 3/8 breaker bar. I got a 24" breaker bar with a 1/2 drive and converter and have snapped 3 converters, including an impact rated one! Managed to locate somewhere to purchase a 17mm hex key with a 1/2" drive, so off to give that a try tomorrow! Thanks, Robert

Comment

can you give us a photo of it before you welly into it ?
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Success!

Just saw your message, but got it sorted! 17mm hex key with a cheater bar (scaffold pole) cracked it open in a couple of seconds. Machine topped up and back to normal! If anyone else is in the same boat - I got a the hex key, and a 17mm hex bit with a 1/2 drive from my local branch of Cromwell.co.uk - never heard of them before, but think they will come in very handy! Just goes to show the old adage about the right tool for the right job is so true! Could have saved a load of grief and time if I'd gone there in the first place! Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X