Operator hood quick & cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operator hood quick & cheap!

After a soaking due to having to finish the job before the big hired digger had to go back, I resolved to fabricate an effective hood for my dumper the 'Benson Beast'.

BeastNewPaintWEB.jpg

It had to be big enough to keep the operator dry/shaded (when we get some sun!), inexpensive, rigid and easily constructed but not so big as to catch the wind when towing the machine.

So what to make it out of? Fireglass - too difficult & complicated. Fabric on a frame - too dificult & complicated and can't be left in place when towing. Answer - corrugated iron or 'crinkly tin'.

I made up some flat bar hoops with welded bolts to attach it to the ROPS bar, stiffened it with 'U' shaped aluminium extrusion, gave it a coat of paint and - hey presto! - Operator Hood done in an afternoon!

BeastHoodLoops01.jpgBeastHoodSupport01.jpgBeastHoodWEB01.jpg

Originally posted by CaptLimey View Post
    After a soaking due to having to finish the job before the big hired digger had to go back, I resolved to fabricate an effective hood for my dumper the 'Benson Beast'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1733[/ATTACH]

It had to be big enough to keep the operator dry/shaded (when we get some sun!), inexpensive, rigid and easily constructed but not so big as to catch the wind when towing the machine.

So what to make it out of? Fireglass - too difficult & complicated. Fabric on a frame - too dificult & complicated and can't be left in place when towing. Answer - corrugated iron or 'crinkly tin'.

I made up some flat bar hoops with welded bolts to attach it to the ROPS bar, stiffened it with 'U' shaped aluminium extrusion, gave it a coat of paint and - hey presto! - Operator Hood done in an afternoon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1730[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1731[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1732[/ATTACH]
    Looks Grand Capn .. just keep the driver away from tree branches .. cos its gonna get modified without your permission otherwise
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Looks Grand Capn .. just keep the driver away from tree branches .. cos its gonna get modified without your permission otherwise
      Very good point Muz, I've already 'modfied' the tree you see behind the machine, when I had just the bare ROPS bar!
      One advantage of the cheap design is that, if it does get bent I'll probably be able to bash it straight (ish) with a couple of hammers or I can replace the whole caboosh at the cost of half a sheet of crinkly tin.
      Rgds CL

Comment

Working...
      X