Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Komatsu wheely

Hi All

i am thinking of trading in my old faithful Hyundai duck. I am after another 13 tonne duck to replace it and have come across a komatsu 140 W-7 I like the look of but have no experience of them at all . Has anyone had a drive or own one on the forum if so what like are they ?
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    cheers

Vin

No experience with Komatsu since about 2005 or so but I don't hear many good things about them like reliability, parts, and quality. Have you looked at any others like a Cat M312, Liebherr, Hitachi etc? I'm not sure what's available over there but I know you guys have more access to Ducks than we do on this side of the pond.

Comment

I have some limited experience of ducks all gained under duress as I hate operating the beggars, I found it reminiscent of driving a rubber tyred MF digger on site back in the 80's where you were every ones bitch but worse as the fecking duck is like a nodding donkey.

Given a choice (gun placed to my head) I would opt for a 170 sized machine, every bit a capable as the little 140 but a far more stable machine with greater lift and stability. I driven Komatsu, JCB, Daewoo / Doosan, Hyundai Hitachi and Atlas ducks and hated each with the same venom, vacating the seat as soon as I could delegate other to take over the duties.

There is very little difference between all makes now but the local dealer will make or break you. The steering on the older Doosans could give trouble and a share of them did chew up the diffs but if I recall they were Hurth axles and others makes who used them axles had the same issue.

I will say the Komatsu were a well built machine with good longevity where the Doosan's did age quickly. The JCB was on single tyres and therefore as giddy as feck. The Hitachi also was on single tyres but was a far superior machine in all respects than anything else on the market, followed by the Komatsu.
      The Atlas was an old dinosaur and should have been retired. ...........
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
        I have some limited experience of ducks all gained under duress as I hate operating the beggars, I found it reminiscent of driving a rubber tyred MF digger on site back in the 80's where you were every ones bitch but worse as the fecking duck is like a nodding donkey.

Given a choice (gun placed to my head) I would opt for a 170 sized machine, every bit a capable as the little 140 but a far more stable machine with greater lift and stability. I driven Komatsu, JCB, Daewoo / Doosan, Hyundai Hitachi and Atlas ducks and hated each with the same venom, vacating the seat as soon as I could delegate other to take over the duties.

There is very little difference between all makes now but the local dealer will make or break you. The steering on the older Doosans could give trouble and a share of them did chew up the diffs but if I recall they were Hurth axles and others makes who used them axles had the same issue.

I will say the Komatsu were a well built machine with good longevity where the Doosan's did age quickly. The JCB was on single tyres and therefore as giddy as feck. The Hitachi also was on single tyres but was a far superior machine in all respects than anything else on the market, followed by the Komatsu.
        The Atlas was an old dinosaur and should have been retired. ...........
        hi Stock

I take it your not a duck fan then ! I'd have to disagree about size as I think the thirteen toners are faster and more agile especially as I need it to do everything ! But that's just my opinion , thanks for your thoughts on the options I agree and have had experience of most just none on the komatsu.

Vin

Comment

A local fitter is going to take a look at it for me , it's in Northern Ireland so if it checks out I will head over myself at the end of the week .

Vin

Comment

Good luck Vin and be sure to post pictures for us.

Comment

Hi All

i haven't been able to check this machine out yet but I am hoping to go start of the week .

I have noticed a sign on the panel door behind the cab withCOT on it I am assuming this doesn't mean it can take a youngster as well as the pilot so does anyone know what it is ?

Vin

Comment

Got over to Northern Ireland , I wasn't convinced with the machine so I left it.
                Trying to get to Belfast Airport on the day of the orange marches with hindsight is not a good idea either so won't be trying that again I nearly missed the plane

i went to have a look at another one in York as soon as I got back , I got a lot of great help from a local guy called Ollie I got in touch with on the BCE forum he does work for its previous owners. The machine was fine and we closed the deal today
                i think it will be swapped over with the Hyundai at the start of next week .
                here is the dealers pics , I will post some more when I get it home .
                Attached Files

Comment

Well wear..............nice looking piece of equipment I hope she is lucky for you Vin................
                  A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Nice looking machine Vin....looks like you may have to get it dirty to pay for it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X