New tracks needed- advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tracks needed- advice please

One of the tracks on my 2004 Takeuchi TBO 16 has just given up the ghost and I intend to replace both of them. Can I ask for any advice regarding changing old tracks for new ones? How do I identify what model/specification track I need for my machine? Can anyone recommend a supplier that I can by on line from and get them delivered? Any tips or tricks will be much appreciated.
    Rgds CL

Global track Warehouse

http://www.gtweurope.co.uk/

Astrak

http://www.astrakgroup.co.uk/default.aspx

Both very good but as always phone to check prices and the ever present carriage charge

Last week I bought a pair from ATS

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/?gcl...FavHtAodSTQAWQ

as they are now solideal suppliers and they beat Astraks best price

Astrak offer a 2 year gurantee though
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Many thanks Muz, I'll get researchin'.
      Rgds CL

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Global track Warehouse

http://www.gtweurope.co.uk/

Astrak

http://www.astrakgroup.co.uk/default.aspx

Both very good but as always phone to check prices and the ever present carriage charge

Last week I bought a pair from ATS

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/?gcl...FavHtAodSTQAWQ

as they are now solideal suppliers and they beat Astraks best price

Astrak offer a 2 year gurantee though
        Hi Muz
        I've got enquiries launched with the first two but the ATS link only takes me to a tyre sales and I've failed to find any link to digger tracks. Their phone line links are only to local UK branches and concessionaires, web problems or complaints. I see no reference to plant or machinery, have I missed something?
        Rgds CL

Comment

Yea it's new thing they've started doing.. So it's not on their web site yet... May be its only certain depots ? I thought you might get a better delivery quote as they are a pan European outfit. GTW will have an agent in your region somewhere dunno about Astrak but there are plenty more of these guys about
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for the steer Muz.
            I checked them all and got a good deal, including delivery, from a French concessionaire, plus a 2 year guarantee from your link at
            http://www.astrakgroup.co.uk/default.aspx.
            Much appreciated CL

Comment

Nice one fella .. thats what this here forum is all about

Comment

I fitted both tracks today.
                The first took three hours of levering, lubricating, banging & not a little swearing, to get the damn thing on the drive sprocket. There was a time when I doubted that the size moulded into the inner surface was correct, as it simply seemed too tight a fit but eventually I got it on with the aid of grease, sash cramps, a big lever and a 14lb hammer!. The second track went on in about three minutes not three hours - why? - I just don't know. There seemed to be a lot more play allowing it to be levered on to the drive sprocket without any difficulty. But with the tracks stretched to the correct clearance below the central track roller they appear to be exactly the same size. Just odd?

Thanks again to all for your advice and guidance.

Rgds CL

Comment

start

did you not fit them on the sprocket end first

Comment

One of your Idlers didnt go in far enough then ...

When I take the old track off I throw an old fence post in between the sprocket and the track .. rotate about 180 degrees to force the grease chamber empty and that give full clearance for fitting new.

The down side of this method is that if your TT (track tension) rod is rusted .. it rips the seals on the TT ram and it wont retension and hold pressure

It works ok for tracks that wear out fast on hire kit .. but I wouldnt reccomend it on privately owned kit .. unless you know your TT ram chrome work is good

Comment

Originally posted by d4c24a View Post
                      did you not fit them on the sprocket end first
                      No, (being a total amateur and needing to learn a lot) I followed a couple of u tube posts re changing tracks and fitted one end of the track on the idler wheel (or whatever it's called) first, so that I could use a lever between the teeth on the drive sprocket to pull the track on. That worked eventually but see the post by Muz.

Rgds CL

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                        One of your Idlers didnt go in far enough then ...

When I take the old track off I throw an old fence post in between the sprocket and the track .. rotate about 180 degrees to force the grease chamber empty and that give full clearance for fitting new.

The down side of this method is that if your TT (track tension) rod is rusted .. it rips the seals on the TT ram and it wont retension and hold pressure

It works ok for tracks that wear out fast on hire kit .. but I wouldnt reccomend it on privately owned kit .. unless you know your TT ram chrome work is good
                        Hi Muz

Good advice, thanks. As mine is not professionally used it may well be that the TT rod is corroded and therefore wouldn't compress fully thus causing the lack of 'slack'? The second track went without a hitch, suggesting that the TT rod was more compressed than the first. Maybe I should take a good look at my TT ram chrome? Thanks for the steer.

Rgds CL

Comment

Originally posted by CaptLimey View Post
                          Hi Muz

Good advice, thanks. As mine is not professionally used it may well be that the TT rod is corroded and therefore wouldn't compress fully thus causing the lack of 'slack'? The second track went without a hitch, suggesting that the TT rod was more compressed than the first. Maybe I should take a good look at my TT ram chrome? Thanks for the steer.

Rgds CL
                          Most commonly its full of muck that gets packed in there ... if you pull the whole idler out, you'll be able to see whats stopping it .. usually its time to attack with a pry bar and get all the sh*t out

Comment

Working...
                          X