Allen Scythe Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Scythe Question

On my Allen scythe on the right hand axle, there's a saw tooth ratchet wheel and a ratchet pull - does anyone know what this actually does? We were originally told it was for driving accessories, but have never come across any references to accessories which would be driven by this.

I'll have a look but I've not heard of this. On mine both axles were covered by curved guards originally. It would sound impractical given the size of the wheels
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      I'll have a look but I've not heard of this. On mine both axles were covered by curved guards originally. It would sound impractical given the size of the wheels
      That's why it's such a puzzling feature. I haven't come across any others with this, so I'm very curious to know what it's for.

Comment

Try here

Put a post on the vhgmc forum for an answer to this .

Comment

Originally posted by Medulla View Post
          On my Allen scythe on the right hand axle, there's a saw tooth ratchet wheel and a ratchet pull - does anyone know what this actually does? We were originally told it was for driving accessories, but have never come across any references to accessories which would be driven by this.
          Hi,
          Would this be anything to do with allowing the m/c to turn - long time since I've looked at one of these, but if it's on the wheel drive, might it act as a rudimentary differential?
          As i'm far from familiar with these I could well be barking up the wrong tree, but seem to recal they had this set up on the wheels?
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sdarmstrong View Post
            Put a post on the vhgmc forum for an answer to this .
            Hi Dave, nice to see you've found the 'way in' - how's that lil' Ransomes dumper of yours coming along?
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I'd long forgotten about this thread .. I think its the clutch engagement pinion
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I'd long forgotten about this thread .. I think its the clutch engagement pinion
                Just a a guess but I would say it would replace a diff, And allow the scythe to turn, as already mentioned.

Mick

Comment

Mine usually resides a long way from me .. its a 'BRUTAL' machine but I have it in one of my sheds as I want to sell it .. see if I can get a photo of the bit in question .

As a self powered machine .. it would chop small saplings and power on regardless .. dragging its operator behind if you failed to let go .. and with 24" wheels .. it climbed over anything ..

You have to use this thing to believe it ... then on a small bit of peace and quiet .. you'd be trundleing along at walking pace and the cutter would hit a rock and suddenly you got whipped on the pelvis by its 4 foot long handle bars .. which were already vibrating in the opposite direction to the reciprocating scythe head .. brutal .. just fecking brutal it was

Comment

I used to wrap the handle bars with cloth ... a 1 hour session on it gave you callouses on the joints on your hands

Comment

Mine usually resides a long way from me .. its a 'BRUTAL' machine but I have it in one of my sheds as I want to sell it .. see if I can get a photo of the bit in question .

As a self powered machine .. it would chop small saplings and power on regardless .. dragging its operator behind if you failed to let go .. and with 24" wheels .. it climbed over anything ..

You have to use this thing to believe it ... then on a small bit of peace and quiet .. you'd be trundleing along at walking pace and the cutter would hit a rock and suddenly you got whipped on the pelvis by its 4 foot long handle bars .. which were already vibrating in the opposite direction to the reciprocating scythe head .. brutal .. just fecking brutal it was
                      yeh but rocks are the only thing that stops the buggers - awesome scrub despatchers

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                        y- awesome scrub despatchers
                        Yeah but at a human cost you have one dude ? (op is long gone) the villiers motor is a wee shite and its guvernor gave me trouble for years ?

Comment

Yeah but at a human cost you have one dude ? (op is long gone) the villiers motor is a wee shite and its guvernor gave me trouble for years ?
                          Nah - I've used one a few times and that's enough for me!! Need a lot of scrub to warrant owning one o' they lil' beasts ....... and there's better about these days.
                          Would have one for resto 'praps, if it fell in my lap

My Ransome MG2 will do me for now, in the old iron stakes, having sold my Matchless G80S 2 years ago. Just wasn't getting used

Got no 'Brit Iron' left ...... all Jap stuff now!

Have to admit to regretting it of late
                          matchy2.jpg

matchy5.jpg

matchy1.jpg

Comment

This is what Christine was on about although I suspect she has long forgotten about the thread

Img_3656[2].jpg

I had a quick look and it doesent engage with anything, although the clutch engagement is directly below it

Comment

This is what Christine was on about although I suspect she has long forgotten about the thread

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2791[/ATTACH]

I had a quick look and it doesent engage with anything, although the clutch engagement is directly below it
                              D'ya 'spose it was for some sort of 'accessory' drive Muz, though I've never seen much in the way of accessories for these?

Comment

Working...
                              X