Little project for home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little project for home

Today I finally got around to do a project that's been bugging me for a while. The little house that my wife and I live in has a basement like most houses on this side of the pond, however it was built on the cheap back in 1950. So it's got a shallow footing and cinder block walls which are ok in most places but here with our heavy gumbo clay that swells and shrinks it's not great, plus there is no proper weeping tile that we are aware of...which is also a big no-no. This spring we had a lot of run off from a pretty harsh winter that didn't want to die and because of that a lot of moisture found its way onto the basement floor, our landlord finally succumbed and hired a plumber to install a proper sump pit which was an interesting job for his apprentice. After that I had to deal with the discharge hose which was routed outside as required by law where as the old one just pumped into the floor drain which is illegal. Only problem with this discharge hose is that a fair volume of water is pumped out every day during the summer as the air conditioner and a dehumidifier both drain into the sump pit not to mention whatever ground water finds it's way down there. Well at first I had the hose stretched across the lawn out towards our lilac bushes and it seemed to have caused the leaves to turn brown on two parts of the hedge plus it was a pain in the arse to have to move the hose every time I mow the grass. So today I decided to dig a trench across the driveway so it can drain into a shallow ditch between our property and the neighbor, the driveway was gravel so it wasn't complicated but quite well compacted as well there is a small cinder block wall separating a flower bed from the lawn and all the blocks were well attached together so out came a sledge hammer I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed a couple years ago I eventually busted a hole big enough to pass the corrugated pipe through.
    Attached Files

You back on the 1RB again Bert..................
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

This weekend I am but I'll be back on a machine on Monday probably a 580M Case backhoe.

Comment

Working...
      X