Utility related work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good postings Bert .. enjoyed reading that with a coffee

I'm surprised how poor the operators visibility is in the trencher .. must get a bit hot in there too
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Was just thinking Bert that here the road contractor is responsible for putting in the ducting and the electricity company pulls the cable.
      On PPP the company then owns the ducting and raises revenue from the companies that use it, on other road jobs it belong to the council or road authority.

All ducting is now colour codes here, red for electricity, black for telecoms, yellow for gas, purple for tv, blue for potable water, black for firemain. brown/pink for foul sewer

And this is the UK
      VOLUME 1 NJUG GUIDELINES ON THE POSITIONING AND COLOUR CODING OF UNDERGROUND UTILITIES’ APPARATUS

Colour

• ·Black
      • ·Red
      • ·Grey

• ·Blue
      • ·Yellow
      • ·Purple
      • ·Orange

Type of cable carried

• Electricity (Normally Low Voltage), Motorway Comms (Scotland Only)

• Electricity (Normally High Voltage)

• Communications, Telecoms, BT, Water

• Water
      • Gas
      • Motorway Communications (in England and Wales)
      • Rail Ducting (Track Crossings), Motorway Electricity (in England and Wales)

A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what the rules are here as it sometimes seems like they make them up as they go along at least in this province. And I guess this particular job the General Contractor could of hired a proper utility contractor to do all the installation which probably would of been faster but they for whatever reason decided to take on Hydro's offer. But in the end it meant I got to do some excavator work instead of doing something more mundane like driving a dump truck which I thoroughly hate.

Here I guess if you wanted to put stuff as colour coded orange pipe usually means conduit for power, telephone/fibreoptic, and cable t.v.
        New water main installation is usually blue plastic pipe with tees, valves, '90's, and other special fittings being made out of coated cast iron. Sanitary and storm sewer can be made out of a number of different materials such as green plastic, concrete, (old days) cast iron, and clay tile pipe.
        Natural gas pipe is always yellow but can be a couple of different materials like yellow coated steel pipe and plastic pipe. Petroleum such as crude oil, diesel, gasoline, and other 'ene's' e.g. benzene is I think always steel pipe and coated usually with a special very thick green paint of course to protect from corrosion. I could probably get more info from a chemical engineer friend of mine that works on the plant side of oil and gas refining.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Good postings Bert .. enjoyed reading that with a coffee

I'm surprised how poor the operators visibility is in the trencher .. must get a bit hot in there too
          Glad you liked it Muz, yeah the trencher has a strange cab for sure but it is air conditioned and has a canister style air filter on the outside of it for easier maintenance. I found a link from Vermeer's website that show's that the trencher is also available with a rocksaw instead of the chain. The foreman told me that when they originally bought it cost around $300,000! That's a lot of money for a machine that sits around most of the time and maybe gets used about once a year!

http://www.vermeercanada.com/new-equ...55_commander_3

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            The foreman told me that when they originally bought it cost around $300,000! That's a lot of money for a machine that sits around most of the time and maybe gets used about once a year!
            Yaah ...... not half ? when you consider how many tracked excavators you could have bought
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Well not to many tracked excavators can keep up to this thing when it's working in ideal ground conditions, it apparently cuts through frost at an amazing rate which would be nice to see.

Comment

I thought I'd update this as I've been working for a place for about 3 weeks now, the money is good and the work seems to be plentiful however they are terribly unorganized and like to lay off labourers and tell the equipment operators they have to do the labour work which is pretty stupid especially when you've got enough work to do as it is. But if all works out it'll get me through the winter without having to work out of province and maybe I can finally buy a diesel pick up truck which will come in handy when I can finally afford a digger.
                The work I am doing is called 4 party work as we trench and install power lines, gas lines, telephone, and t.v. the telephone lines are actually fibre optic and every house will have a its own fibreoptic service which means faster internet and all that stuff that's kinda beyond me. lol On these two jobs I've been working on we are also installing conduit for future fibreoptic cables but from a different company I'm not sure why but that's what we are doing and it's a lot of product to install. Also the yellow polyethylene pipe is gas pipe and has to be so many millimeters away from the 'primary' power cable which can be up to 25 KV and is regulated by the Public Utilities Board.
                Attached Files

Comment

Some lovely weather I've been working in lately some trenching and a little later backfill and grading work with frozen lumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck5_M_5AEtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_nV2eZv6_s

Comment

Working...
                  X