Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Cherry Tree

Hi All,

I have a Japanese Cherry Tree which is about 30 years old and about 7 metres tall with a very high sentimental value. We are intending to create a new vehicular access on to the highway to assist with visibility and safety - subject to the relevant planning approvals; which we have in principle. Unfortunately the tree is probably in the way and I have had our very helpful Government Arborist on site to give advice. He stated we should dig around the tree approximately 1 metre radius and a spade width to a depth that cuts the anchor roots- approximately 1/2 to 1 metre and then immediately re-cover with the excavated soil, but only when the tree is dormant (late September to early March) i.e. when there is no leaf. Leave the tree to leaf and blossom in the next growing season and then relocate the tree during the following dormant period into a pre excavated and prepared hole. He has stated, (but I do not hold him to this) it is possible to relocate the tree within our property but this generate risks the tree may not survive.

My question has anyone moved a tree of this genus and size and was the outcome succesful?

Any help, advice or warnings would be appreciated.

John

Yea I moved a group of native holly tree about 12 years ago and we bedded it on some well rotted FYM and for the following summer we watered it every evening. Well it's doing well ever since. I don't suppose you have a tree supplier on the island you know some one who rootballs trees.......
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

I moved quite a biggun

clikky here

with my 13 tonner... all is well even to this day, and I just whacked it out and re set it .. different tree though, the digging around method then leaving for a year or so is the correct one, and also as Stock mentioned, once its moved .. water it every day rain hail or shine. I sometimes put a bit of 2 " wavencoil into the hole with the rootball to get water to the base more easily
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Stock, Thanks for the info. Doug, the guy from the Government who came up, (who was really helpful) said the new receiving hole should be well prepared and a good dollp of well rotted FYM plus some bone and blood meal mixed in for good measure, he also stated to water wellwhen necessary - twice a day if possible.

You mention a "rootball lifter", I think that is a bit of kit that has two very large hydraulically operated opposing shovels that can dig under and pick up the tree plus a really good rootball. Doug mentioned about one of these but unfortunately there isn't one on the Island.

We are still considering if we can work around the tree so no final decision has been made, but wther we move it or not I still have to do some surgery, and I am not looking forward to that!

Comment

Hi Muz,

You are a mine of information!!

Thanks for your input, the reason I asked Doug from the Government to come up, was that I felt I would get unbiased advice. He was really helpful and gave loads of tips, i.e. transplant on a cool damp frost free day, if at alll possible, which helps to keep the rootball damp and stake heavily if the new locatiopn is a little exposed and also to replant in the same orentation - the north sideof the tree is replanted facing north.

John - still Takeuchi TB016 digger hunting!

Comment

Working...
          X