Bush removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush removal

Does anyone have a reliable method of removing a bush from a dipper, or any part of a digger for that matter?
    DSCF1536.jpg
    Maybe I am just being lazy, I am trying to replace the bush without having to take the dipper to pieces and drag it over to the press. There must be a tool of some sort as on big machines it wouldn't be possible to use a press I assume. I have tried using threaded rod and various size pipes to pull them out although bust 12mm rod twice. I did have some success with parts from an old vice as the threaded rod was nearly 20mm, although was a bit crude. The bushes are about 34mm diameter so are not that big, what do people use on big stuff?

DSCF1537.jpg

The black blob is just a shadow, but as you can see it is nothing special, but incredibly tight in the hole. I have lubricated and swore at it several times, but its not having it. I have cut them out in the past, although the risk of cutting the housing puts be off doing this method.

Any thoughts most welcome.

I usually burn mine out.. If you get your pressures right for the gas you can skim the bush down to the receiving boss (usually) without damaging it.

Just burn a line right along it, then use a chisel to collapse it inwards and knock it out
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz,I will give it a go in the morning and hope I don't set fire to the workshop in the process

Comment

Originally posted by 801_user View Post
        Thanks Muz,I will give it a go in the morning and hope I don't set fire to the workshop in the process
        Just one word of caution .. some of those bushes can have some funky alloys in them that 'burn' with the heat from the oxy-acetylene
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
        X