Don't know what happened......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know what happened......

Last Friday I got a text from the boss saying that it was dry enough to resume work so I started getting all my stuff ready to head back to Western Manitoba and go back to work. Saturday morning came and I got a text that I was being laid off with no explanation I asked why and never got any reply back other than he asked what I wanted to do with the few things I had left in camp and said he could send them back by bus which still hasn't happened. I don't know if I said something or did something I had only been there a few days and spent most of that time working at the bosses house as he hadn't run me through all this safety orientation crap yet. I thought it was an upbeat kinda place with friendly people, a decent camp, and good food. But I guess I was wrong I was really hoping it was going to last through the winter and now I can't return to my old job as he's hired somebody else and I probably should of stayed there in the first place. I've already tried applying with other companies hoping to find some work to keep me digging through the winter but this is getting very very frustrating we just (my wife and I) want to get some stuff paid off and build up some savings and I was really close to buying a used diesel truck for this job and so I could eventually buy a mini-excavator and a skid-steer and do some side work as there are some new houses going up in the area. Maybe I'll have to start my own backyard nuclear weapons program.

You get laid off by text ? .. maybe we have Europe to thank for something afterall .. thats really crap Ive been an employer for 20 odd years and would'nt treat anyone like that, and trust me Ive had some complete arseholes/thiefs working for me .. love 'em or hate em we still have to go through a proper procedure
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz
      You get laid off by text ? .. maybe we have Europe to thank for something afterall .. thats really crap Ive been an employer for 20 odd years and would'nt treat anyone like that, and trust me Ive had some complete arseholes/thiefs working for me .. love 'em or hate em we still have to go through a proper procedure
      Yeah and today I finally got hold of them and by text messaging again as I still had some belongings left at the camp as I thought I found a decent place to work. At first I was wondering if I was going to have to go through the police to get my stuff back which was just a blanket and a pair of boots but I finally got a message back and also found out that they had hired somebody who had worked for them last year over me.
      Too bad you don't live a little closer Muz otherwise I'd go work for you instead of these shitheads, it's really hard to have any faith in mankind when you have to put up with bullshit like this all the time.

Comment

That Sucks Bert .

Comment

Yeah sure does Ian, so blood hard to get ahead in life sometimes.

Comment

I got a text from Minsky's (where I was working before 3DI) that they he might have some ditching for me to do next week for a private landowner so that upped my spirits a bit hope it follows through.

Comment

Struth Bert did you break a mirror or something, that's a dirty low act just getting a TXT and no explanation ,perhaps a stern email to the company might be in order here..{or get us to spam them }
              I know one person here who had that happen to them ,it's a sign of a shit company I think..

Comment

Didn't break a thing Wazza....

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                  perhaps a stern email to the company might be in order here.
                  I would say so ...
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Most definitely so, that an uncalled method of termination of employment. A good stiff email is in order ...........
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                      Most definitely so, that an uncalled method of termination of employment. A good stiff email is in order ...........
                      Well with being half German I'd much rather just run the b*****ds over with a tank!

But on a different note I found some work again I'll tell you guys about it later gotta meet up with my buddy we're going for an end of season quad ride.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bert,

Sorry to hear about your despicable way of being laid off; - no one should be treated like that.

Best wishes for the new work and hopefully it wont be too long before you get the truck, mini digger and skid steer.

My missus and I were in Canada last year and hired a quad to go up the mountains in Whistler - fantastic. We also hired a Harley in Calgary and did a bit of touring out in the Prairies, again what an experience - a bit stressful on a 6 lane motorway in rush hour on the way back though! Great country and great people, we loved it.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation Bert - were you on their books or subbing for them as a self-employed contractor?

Comment

Hi guys, I was 'on the books' I don't contract myself out but have thought about it as it's pretty common in Alberta but people here are a little slow when it comes to things like that. I wasn't unemployed for very long I have found some more utility type work stuff I've done in the past before while it doesn't pay as good as oilfield I am able to go home every night and sleep in my own bed but we still talk from time to time about making a permanent move to Alberta it's just a costly venture to do so and have to make sure it's what we really want to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X