Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobelco SK024

I bought a Kobelco SK024 off eBay.

its all been working well, until I got a stone in the swing gear.

i thought that it would crunch down, but it didn't. Instead I lost 7 teeth from the the bottom gear and now it won't swing.

i have been searching for a replacement, but have been told the SK024 is a grey import and Kobelco won't supply parts.

i found a local machine shop who would manufacture new gear for £650!!!

does anybody know of a solution please.

Originally posted by Jezt View Post
    I bought a Kobelco SK024 off eBay.

its all been working well, until I got a stone in the swing gear.

i thought that it would crunch down, but it didn't. Instead I lost 7 teeth from the the bottom gear and now it won't swing.

i have been searching for a replacement, but have been told the SK024 is a grey import and Kobelco won't supply parts.

i found a local machine shop who would manufacture new gear for £650!!!

does anybody know of a solution please.
    Jezt sorry you couldnt post immediatly as weve been getting some spam problems lately .. anyway welcome to the forum

Are the teeth stripped from the drive pinion or the ring ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Jezt sorry you couldnt post immediatly as weve been getting some spam problems lately .. anyway welcome to the forum

Are the teeth stripped from the drive pinion or the ring ?

Thanks for the reply Muz,

not knowing one end of a digger to another! It's the big gear on the bottom of the swing motor, so I would say that's the drive pinion as I'm guessing that the ring sits in the bottom of the digger with teeth all round. The drive pinion then turns on these teeth to swing the upper body round.

cheers, Jez

Comment

Thanks for the reply Muz,

not knowing one end of a digger to another! It's the big gear on the bottom of the swing motor, so I would say that's the drive pinion as I'm guessing that the ring sits in the bottom of the digger with teeth all round. The drive pinion then turns on these teeth to swing the upper body round.

cheers, Jez
        OK so the ' stub' is the drive pinion coming out of the bottom of the slew motor that drives the big ring gear.

And you can physically see teeth missing from it yes ? You need to get a good look to be sure.

The reason I ask, is that, a lot of slew motor pinions especially the Jap designs, had another drive shaft inside the pinion, and it was these that got stripped, causing the drive to fail. This was because the drive motor was an orbital design, and the shaft rotated as well as travelling in a circular radius inside the pinion due to the lobe motor that powered it .. these are a different thing to sort. I think those motors were Sumitomo
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

OK so the ' stub' is the drive pinion coming out of the bottom of the slew motor that drives the big ring gear.

I've taken the motor out and there a 7 teeth broken on the stub.

I've also taken the smaller drive shaft out from inside the motor and all the teeth look intact, some worn

Can I post pictures? Would I help??

Jez.

Comment

I've taken the motor out and there a 7 teeth broken on the stub.

I've also taken the smaller drive shaft out from inside the motor and all the teeth look intact, some worn

Can I post pictures? Would it help??

Jez.
            No no .. Your spot on .. just wanted to make sure we were talking about the right bit. If youve removed the internal shaft, you might need to watch how far youve stripped this pump as it is 'timed' so dont go any further in.

Who makes the motor ? It will have a plate on it .. this should hopefully enable us to find the part

Comment

No no .. Your spot on .. just wanted to make sure we were talking about the right bit. If youve removed the internal shaft, you might need to watch how far youve stripped this pump as it is 'timed' so dont go any further in.

Who makes the motor ? It will have a plate on it .. this should hopefully enable us to find the part
              Muz,

Cleaned the plate and its a Kayaba 21960-30006

does that help.

Cheers, Jez

Comment

Muz,

Cleaned the plate and its a Kayaba 21960-30006

does that help.

Cheers, Jez
                I called 2 guys for you .. the first lot couldnt help, and said you cant get the bits .. the second guy is a bit more like a dog with a bone with these things, I'm waiting to hear back from him. Another option is that I've got some old ones kicking about, the bottom gear can be cut off and welded to your shaft by a machine shop who would true it up, this would make a good repair First things first, whats the total number of teeth on your one ?

Comment

I called 2 guys for you .. the first lot couldnt help, and said you cant get the bits .. the second guy is a bit more like a dog with a bone with these things, I'm waiting to hear back from him. Another option is that I've got some old ones kicking about, the bottom gear can be cut off and welded to your shaft by a machine shop who would true it up, this would make a good repair First things first, whats the total number of teeth on your one ?

Hi Muz,

its got 14 teeth of which 7 are broken!
                  p

Comment

Working...
                  X