Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which 5 ton excavator

Firstly, hi folks, looks a great forum.

Im looking for a 5 ton excavator to put on my building plot. My brothers a plant operator and will be doing all the ground work etc. Ive been learning a bit too and getting the hang of it.

Im wondering what your thoughts are, looking to spend around 13 to 14k plus vat. and getting a bit lost with all the options. Would older machine with lower hours be a better option than newer machine with high hours. And on that subject what would be thought to be high hours. Looking at 5 tom Kubotas and there are a few slightly newr models but over 4000 hours. Is that a bit on the high side?

All advice appreciated.

Al.

Originally posted by ally mac View Post
    Firstly, hi folks, looks a great forum.

Im looking for a 5 ton excavator to put on my building plot. My brothers a plant operator and will be doing all the ground work etc. Ive been learning a bit too and getting the hang of it.

Im wondering what your thoughts are, looking to spend around 13 to 14k plus vat. and getting a bit lost with all the options. Would older machine with lower hours be a better option than newer machine with high hours. And on that subject what would be thought to be high hours. Looking at 5 tom Kubotas and there are a few slightly newr models but over 4000 hours. Is that a bit on the high side?

All advice appreciated.

Al.
    Hi Ally welcome to the forum

It's good to have some depreciating plant on your books for some reasons, but.... The fact is that plant hire rates haven't changed in 20 years so , you can still set that cost against your project but have the convenience of well maintained kit, and also no long term costs for fixing it and get exactly the right size of kit for the job
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Hi Ally welcome to the forum

It's good to have some depreciating plant on your books for some reasons, but.... The fact is that plant hire rates haven't changed in 20 years so , you can still set that cost against your project but have the convenience of well maintained kit, and also no long term costs for fixing it and get exactly the right size of kit for the job
      Thanks Muz.

I appreciate that but its not too easy to get anything bigger than a 3 tonner here. We have weighed up all the options and are going down the purchase route.

Al.

Comment

Thanks Muz.

I appreciate that but its not too easy to get anything bigger than a 3 tonner here. We have weighed up all the options and are going down the purchase route.

Al.
        Fair enough .. Where abouts are you ? It would be hard to go past Kubota for your choice , I'd have thought you could have found one for less than your budget, what model were you looking at?
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Fair enough .. Where abouts are you ? It would be hard to go past Kubota for your choice , I'd have thought you could have found one for less than your budget, what model were you looking at?
          Were up in Oban Muz, Kubota would be our first choice. 5 ton, not sure which is the best model. that's also why im here :) Weve seen for less and that would be great, trying to strike the balance between initiall outlay and running costs (repairs etc). I resigned myself to spending a bit more that I would like to try and get something half decent without excessive hours.

Ta. Al.

Comment

We have seem a JCB 8052, 2006 with 3500 hours, £13000 plus Vat, delivered to Oban from Birmingham area.

Does that seem a reasonable purchase? I know they are not as highly thought of as Kubota but its probably 4 to 5K cheaper.

We are waiting for a bit more info on it.

Al.

Comment

Well Ive been buying diggers for 25 years and managed to avoid JCB so far . Who are you dealing with ? There used to be a dealer Allan Maxwell on your doorstep? and I know Young plant supply a lot of kit in your area and they are the Kubota dealers. You'll be looking for a 161 or a U 50 I'd imagine ?

Comment

Well Ive been buying diggers for 25 years and managed to avoid JCB so far . Who are you dealing with ? There used to be a dealer Allan Maxwell on your doorstep? and I know Young plant supply a lot of kit in your area and they are the Kubota dealers. You'll be looking for a 161 or a U 50 I'd imagine ?
                http://plant.autotrader.co.uk/used-p...4209cdcf6059c2 Miller Plant In Dudley.

Aye we know Allan, hes been looking for Kubota for a few weeks for us but nothing yet.

Are JCB really so Bad? My brothers got a 6 ton JCB on a site and hes happy with it so far.

Comment

http://plant.autotrader.co.uk/used-p...4209cdcf6059c2 Miller Plant In Dudley.

Aye we know Allan, hes been looking for Kubota for a few weeks for us but nothing yet.

Are JCB really so Bad? My brothers got a 6 ton JCB on a site and hes happy with it so far.
                  Dont listen to Muz he don't know what he is taking about! JCB are ok in my book!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
                    Dont listen to Muz he don't know what he is taking about! JCB are ok in my book!!!
                    Cheers Jim, its just trying to find a balance, Kubota would be great but we will see.

Keep the advice coming chaps

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
                      I know you is only messin fella .. u iz a owna driva init ? .. you is always gonna pump your own kit

Comment

looking for a 5 ton excavator
                        Dood .. i'm going to PM you the number of a good guy in Scotland .. dont mention what you want to pay.. just tell him what your looking for

Comment

Dood .. i'm going to PM you the number of a good guy in Scotland .. dont mention what you want to pay.. just tell him what your looking for
                          That would be great Muz, many thanks.

Al.

Comment

Any luck fella ?

Comment

Any luck fella ?
                              Im going to look at a hitachi in Luton Tomorrow Murray http://plant.autotrader.co.uk/used-p...46297adc754952

What do you reckon?

Al.

Comment

Working...
                              X