Volvo EC15B XTV Thermoswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B XTV Thermoswitch

Hi all, new to forum but have been following with great interest for a while.
    I have a 2006MY with 2100hrs and apparently been regularly serviced by volvo under service contract. It seems to be in very good condition, although I'm no expert. Was told that it was one of the fleet of machines that Volvo supplied for London Olympics construction works?
    Can I also add to the commendations for Muz and Jackpreacher on their terrific write ups and info given regarding the EC15.

Now for the begging bit, my machine has also started to cut out for no apparent (to me anyway) reason. The machine has worked flawlessly for the past 10mths since purchase, although not done many hours and not really worked that hard. I believe the issue is with the thermo-switch as coolant level is good, rad fins are clear, engine does not seem to be running hot and yet the machine cuts out after about 10-15mins of running from cold. The Stop light illuminates along with the coolant light on console. I have disconnected the wire and taped over, at switch on thermostat housing and the machine runs fine. So does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement switch?

Any info is much appreciated.

Regards
    Simank

PS: I also have a lazy LHS track, so I would also like to sort this ASAP .

Hi Simank .. welcome to the forum

I can tell you a story about that switch. We had so many failures at one time, I was determined to source an aftermarket supplier rather than pay Volvo's extortionate prices. I hunted for long and weary to no avail, I trawled the internet .. to no avail. Volvo makes it hard because it removes virtually all demarcation from the component, which makes it impossible to get a comparative part.

That year I went to BAUMA and was amazed at the size of the show. You could buy every single component there to build a digger, from a rivet, to a seat, to a moulded bonnet, to a cab light etc etc, and I was standing amazed at all the different languages being spoken all around me, when I suddendly heard some broad Scots accents, and homed in on a stall from a company called Honeywell who have a base here in Glasgow, so I went over and lo and behold, they manufacture sensor components and there was a brass nut temp sensor that looked very like the one I was after. It was the last minute of the last day, and I had no chance to check it out. Ive never needed any since.

I had a quick look at their web sites just now and didnt see it, but found this one as an example.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-R...908536711.html

But if your fins are clear, you are definately on the right track ... just make sure your fan belt is good, and properly tensioned too, as Ive seen this as an overheat cause on that engine too.

As for Item specs, it has to be a switch that grounds to the engine block when temp is > 100 degrees C say, so it shouldn't be impossible to track down, its been several years since ive looked though, what might be harder is getting one thats threaded, but its sure worth a look rather than paying volvos 'massive' prices

Good Luck
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply Muz, I have searched extensively online for a replacement before asking on here and it's very elusive to find. I deal with Honeywell regularly for domestic and heating components, predominantly installing only their components as I've found them to be very good quality and reliable. I will contact them to see if they make a similar switch, threads will obviously need to be same but I will post back here with result. I will check belt tension again, but seemed ok when I checked initially.

Thanks again for your info.

Is the second reply to my post legit?!!!!!

simank

Comment

Originally posted by simank View Post

Is the second reply to my post legit?!!!!!

simank
        No ..and Jaxengeorge has now fallen on his sword
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
        X