Female plant techs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female plant techs.

Hey guys: Just wondering are there many female plant fitters around nowadays ?. I only ever remember meeting 2 & that was a long time ago.
    Reason I'm asking is that ever since she was tiny that's all my 12 year old has wanted to do, well except move to live in the Highlands that is.

Andy

Not much use to you over there ,but here , we have a lady that runs a cylinder head reconditioning workshop .
    The JCB dealers have a female fitter ,Never had her out to work on my machines . The guys that did have her come out to their machines said she was very good at smiling and never did much .

Comment

None Ive seen recently .. but I know girls are doing more truck driving and plant operating than before, so I suppose its only a matter of time ... I'm not sexist in any way .. but theres not many that are happy with skinned knuckles and black fingernails constantly, and the work can be physically demanding, but nowadays, there is much better support from workshop equipment to help remove the physical aspect, and as always its the knowledge retention that is key to being good at the job, apart from understanding the basics of mechanics and electricals, but personally speaking IMO , there is no barrier to any woman if she chooses to make it her vocation.

Theres a lot of stereotyping in many industries, and services which puts women off and I can understand that, but any employer worth their salt will see the potential of a candidate regardless of sex, if they can demonstrate their abilities.
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Guys: Ian I know what you mean, 1 of the female techs I knew was more interested in looking good & chatting up the guys than actually repairing things. Have to be fair though, the other 1 was only happy when she was covered in muck with a wrench in her hand & she could actually do the job.

Muz: Totally agree with you mate, she's definitely interested. Nothing she likes more at the moment than being in her uncle's garage working on cars with him, but she told us in no uncertain terms that she's going to be a heavy plant mechanic. She reckons cars are OK but they're not the real thing, suppose I should have known what I was in for. My eldest daughter is an apprentice sparky in a steel mill.

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X