Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow jcb 801.4, losing power

Hello all

I have a JCB 801.4 (1996 model), its slow and the tracks pull to one side, it also seems to lose power to the digger arm, amongst other things. Having done a search on the forum and looking at answers from the members, it seems it could be the relief valves.

I am new to the forum, and was wondering if anyone knows of any mobile fitters familiar with the old JCBs. I am in Lincolnshire and so far the JCB people I have spoken to only work on newer machines.

Look forward to your replies, thank you

Hi & welcone to P&C .. it could also be a worn pump, infact TBH thats what I would test first, you need someone to pressure test it to be sure ... Not the end of the world , and yes a few bob to sort but in the scheme of things ... no the worst. Certain services are grouped through the valve block, but on older systems, particularly where its a multiple section gear pump that provides the power, if one section of gears isnt putting out enough pressure, it will have the effect of knocking out 2 or 3 sevices simultaneously which is what you describe, can you post a pic of the pump ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hello Muz
      Thanks for your response. I don't have a picture of the pump (left the digger on a job) but it is a triple section pump. As I say, the local JCB dealer doesn't want anything to do with an older machine and I'm having trouble finding someone to check it out

Comment

Originally posted by titan1378 View Post
        Hello Muz
        Thanks for your response. I don't have a picture of the pump (left the digger on a job) but it is a triple section pump. As I say, the local JCB dealer doesn't want anything to do with an older machine and I'm having trouble finding someone to check it out
        Aye .. product support JCB style .. very nice of them. Well those pumps quite commonly wear out, and when they do its a throw away job, unless you can cobble two failed ones together, but its hardly worth it.

What you can try,.... to prove its the pump, if you dont have any guages, is to swap one of the high pressure outputs, onto a different pump section, then, if your previous services that were slow suddenly come back to life, that would suggest the pump is at fault
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Muz

Thanks for that, anything I need to be aware of when I switch them over? Don't want to make things worse!

Comment

Originally posted by titan1378 View Post
            Hi Muz

Thanks for that, anything I need to be aware of when I switch them over? Don't want to make things worse!
            No .. just power everything down and move the sticks about with the console engaged and ignition on to let the pressures all relax

Comment

Working...
            X