Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching Blade

Hi all
    I am thinking of making a blade for ditching to go across the face of my 90cm grading bucket, as I will only be pulling up weeds, water and a bit of mud I thought something 2 meters wide would be a lot quicker than 90cm. I was thinking that the bucket behind would help to strengthen it.
    I have some 5mm plate a meter square, i was thinking to cut this in half, weld the 2 sides together,and maybe a piece of box to go along the top, some hooks on the top to hang it on the bucket, then some cleats on the back to line up with the holes in the side of the bucket and a rod through to hold the bottom in to the bucket.
    This is to go on my JCB 801.4, so I am expecting someone to say it wont even pick it up off the ground, as I know some of you do not rate them.
    This is all still in the thinking stage yet and I thought some of you guys would tell me if this is a non starter.
    Got several hundreds of yards to do, over the next couple of years, so thought it might be worth my while spending some time in the workshop while it is dark so early.
    All thoughts and recommendations appreciated, Pete

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
    Hi all
    I am thinking of making a blade for ditching to go across the face of my 90cm grading bucket, as I will only be pulling up weeds, water and a bit of mud I thought something 2 meters wide would be a lot quicker than 90cm. I was thinking that the bucket behind would help to strengthen it.
    I have some 5mm plate a meter square, i was thinking to cut this in half, weld the 2 sides together,and maybe a piece of box to go along the top, some hooks on the top to hang it on the bucket, then some cleats on the back to line up with the holes in the side of the bucket and a rod through to hold the bottom in to the bucket.
    This is to go on my JCB 801.4, so I am expecting someone to say it wont even pick it up off the ground, as I know some of you do not rate them.
    This is all still in the thinking stage yet and I thought some of you guys would tell me if this is a non starter.
    Got several hundreds of yards to do, over the next couple of years, so thought it might be worth my while spending some time in the workshop while it is dark so early.
    All thoughts and recommendations appreciated, Pete
    Cant quite see your fabrication method, although I see your principle. Your problem will be, catching your design on solid underground objects, that will cause your bucket/design to distort if it hits something. The 1 tonner has such a small dipper width, that , such a wide design will put a massive loading on it, which it will not withstand, so something will give way in preference, either your dipper will twist or your bucket will bend.

The thing is that on that kind of width, even a root obstruction will cause you trouble. If you know your ground, perhaps you might be ok, but you will need xray eyes to be sure .. I like a project .. so dont let me put you off .. maybe be a bit less ambitious ? .. 0.25M either side instead of 0.5 ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Be inclined to agree with Muz, a 750 mm on each side may be a bit much on the dipper, definitely start small and develop it from there.
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
      X