little volvo on the blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little volvo on the blink

Hello Gents, johny robby here, i haven't posted for along time and feel a tad guilty posting only when i need some valued advice....thought id give it a go and see what is said.. Ive clocked in over 200 hours on the ec15 and treat it kindly, cleaning and servicing, the machine that is...and have just had a problem with what i think is the relays under the seat. I had a read on some other threads posted by jack and co, and i think I'm in the same area of problem.......ill be bold and describe the problem...

2 weeks ago had trouble turning off the starter heater/ glow plug? once engine had started..had to disconnect batterie to turn of machine straight away.

couple of days ago had flat batterie and had to jump start..

and today all good no problems until i stopped for a quick break,,,,went to restart and wouldn't start, it nearly did, then it nearly did a bit less and then it definitely went dead. I noticed a noise coming from the RELAY for starting the engine and i held it and it was buzzing a lot as i turned the ignition....

Now there is no power at all when i turn the key and fuel pimp dosnt engage....
    I know the previous owner had put a new CU as pictured on the forum before on a previous post here, wondering if it could be the same problem....

So all in all i guess my question is should i start with changing the relays and then onto bigger things if this dosent work,.....ps i know nothing about electrics..

Any advice is much appreciated Thanks for being here..

John

Back again with update....Managed to jump start machine and had no operating difficulties...ran for around ten minutes and then turned it off...tried to restart with key, nothing just a a click and then dead again, no lights no power....no buzzing noises,nada..
    Dead battery...but i guess this must stem from an electrical failure somewhere?or am i way off?
    cheers

Comment

All your relay buzzing is just happening because your battery is putting out very low power. You need to change it for a new one. Before you do, make sure its not just low in electrolyte in some cells and that its getting charged properly, and the fan belt tension is good.

Not being able to shut the machine off suggest either a faulty cut off solenoid, not shutting the pump down, or the more sinister problem of the starter motor not disengaging after starting the engine, Ive seen both and the starter one is nasty and a potential fire problem, but far more likely would be the cut off solenoid. I cant remember which way round they are, but I think they are constantly energised. I've had ones that end up with a bent pin, because it glances off the striker plate in the pump, and doesent retract properly, when de energised, so keeping the machine running, you'll need to remove it for examination.

Whilst the starter issue is a bugger to get at, the fix is usually just a clean and lube of its moving parts, but if it is that you'll need to get to it quick, as it wont do that for long before it burns out. The engine sounds quite different at idle if its stuck on

Let us know how you get on
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz for the sound advice as usual....i feel like I'm at the docs waiting for a diagnosis, explain the symptoms and get the treatment....i will do as you explained and let you know how i get on... as usual i expect the worse....at least I'm often pleasantly surprised with the outcome....hope the same goes with my christmas present...thanks again

Comment

If the engine wont shut down, just unplug the solenoid at the 3 pin multiblock first and start your process of elimination there. Have a ten mill quarter inch drive socket with extension, handy to remove the solenoid if its stuck and the engine still runs, that way you can be certain its the solenoid. In this case .. removing the unit will leave the engine running .. get a small 2 inch stick and poke it in there to shut it off dont be tempted to use your finger

Either way I'd be starting it and stopping it a few times before going to work to try to make sure it isn't the starter. It can be intermittant, on disengaging, and you will hear the difference in the engine tone if its stuck on, but a single days work at full revs will see it burnt out, if thats the problem .. good luck
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

thanks for the ongoing advice Muz, ill be on it tomorrow afternoon, ill be sure to keep you posted...

Comment

Originally posted by Johny Robby View Post
              thanks for the ongoing advice Muz, ill be on it tomorrow afternoon, ill be sure to keep you posted...
              I am with you on this one, having a think, are you sure the battery is good? And alternator charging!
              Mick

Comment

Hi Mick and Muz, still haven't had a chance to get on the machine as been away for the weekend, hoping to get the time tomorrow.I booked her into a local garage over christmass couple of weeks ago to get the bent pipes on the boom straightened out and a hole in the exhaust patched up.... its only taken me a year to do this...worst comes to worst i could ask the mechanic to have a look, but I'm going to give it a good go repairing it myself.....should be a breeze with all the good advice from you guys though....it is frustrating knowing so little about this digger stuff,...give me a hammer and a nail and a length of timber and ill sing all day long..the fun is in the learning....thanks john

Comment

Working...
                X