JCB 801.4 side window falling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 801.4 side window falling out

Please could anyone advise me how to re-seal a side window in my JCB 801.4 mini digger (year 2001). It's a fixed (non-sliding, non-opening) piece of glass that seems to be bedded/glued onto a rubber compound running around the window aperture. The 'glue' has failed and the glass is falling away from the rubber. Is there a particular glue I should use to reseal the glass to the rubber or should I remove the old rubber compound and replace it (and if so with what). Any help gratefully received.

Originally posted by cbwillow View Post
    Please could anyone advise me how to re-seal a side window in my JCB 801.4 mini digger (year 2001). It's a fixed (non-sliding, non-opening) piece of glass that seems to be bedded/glued onto a rubber compound running around the window aperture. The 'glue' has failed and the glass is falling away from the rubber. Is there a particular glue I should use to reseal the glass to the rubber or should I remove the old rubber compound and replace it (and if so with what). Any help gratefully received.
    Is it in a rubber 'surround' or bonded with flat surfaces to a frame ? welcome to the forum BTW
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Is it in a rubber 'surround' or bonded with flat surfaces to a frame ? welcome to the forum BTW

Many thanks for the welcome and the response. The glass is bonded with flat surfaces to the frame (there are no clips, and it doesn't sit in the rubber surround). I've attempted to insert a photo with this post. As the glass has peeled away from the rubber it seems to have left a black residue on the glass which has the consistency of flakey paint. The bead of rubber is about one centimetre thick which makes me think its a bit like a sealant that has been put around the frame with a sealant gun. Any help in identifying what to do is appreciated.

SAM_5571.jpg

Comment

You need the flaky paint on the glass for the sealent to bond too. It's something like tiger seal you need to bond it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
          You need the flaky paint on the glass for the sealent to bond too. It's something like tiger seal you need to bond it back in.

Thanks Wee Jim, looks to be just the job. For good measure I've found a website that tells me how long a bead I could get from a 310ml tube of the stuff for varying depth and width of the fill/bead. Apparently from one tube I should get 3 metres of bead of cross section 10mmx10mm, which is perfect. Thanks once again for the suggestion.

Comment

Because the sheet of glass is flat.. if there is any part of the door frame bent, you need to vary the thickness of the bonding material to accomodate this, usually those doors get whacked all the time, but you can straighten them up. Looks like that one has been replaced before.
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Because the sheet of glass is flat.. if there is any part of the door frame bent, you need to vary the thickness of the bonding material to accomodate this, usually those doors get whacked all the time, but you can straighten them up. Looks like that one has been replaced before.
              Good point Muz. I'll first remove the old sealant/glue and check the deviation from flat. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Job done and window holding fast

Thanks Wee Jim, looks to be just the job. For good measure I've found a website that tells me how long a bead I could get from a 310ml tube of the stuff for varying depth and width of the fill/bead. Apparently from one tube I should get 3 metres of bead of cross section 10mmx10mm, which is perfect. Thanks once again for the suggestion.
                The Tiger seal was perfect! The strength of the bond, relatively easy flow from the application gun, and the hard rubbery texture was ideal for making a weather resistant seal with good adhesion and a bit of vibration proofing. Many thanks for positive suggestions.

Comment

The Tiger seal was perfect! The strength of the bond, relatively easy flow from the application gun, and the hard rubbery texture was ideal for making a weather resistant seal with good adhesion and a bit of vibration proofing. Many thanks for positive suggestions.
                  Good result Thanks for posting back to let us know. Ive actually replaced some bumper trims and car headlamp trims with that bonding agent too .. it doesn't just get used for glass .. handy stuff to have

Comment

Glad I could give some positive help!

Comment

Working...
                    X