Scania stuck Caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scania stuck Caliper

Well .. out on a job and detected some excess heat from a drive axle hub, got home and next day I popped on a spare brake chamber as the usual culprit, thats it had all 4 done on both back axles, they've all failed before 225,000, kms. Dunno how the fronts have lasted so long, but they seem to be a different design.

Anyway, no joy with the brake chamber, the hub was still getting too warm, luckily, I'd detected this early before any brake or bearing damage could get done. So this time it was the caliper that was seized. Pretty much the same as a car to get off, just 10 times larger

Here is the two pot main section removed from the caliper, its at either end of this where the sliders are, and its the bottom one (as always that was seized)

Img_2967.jpg

This should give you an idea of scale with the 1/2 socket held up close

On this occasion I fitted a new one, just to get a feel for what I needed, next time I think I'll just get a slide kit and refurb the old one

Img_2974.jpgImg_2975.jpgImg_2976.jpg

1 down .. 5 to go
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Buy the slide kit + a spare, and recon your current unit, and keep the spare for when the other side goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberprog View Post
      Buy the slide kit + a spare, and recon your current unit, and keep the spare for when the other side goes!
      Welcome to the forum

I fooked up... and scrapped the old one some how Mad for doing it cos its not a hard job to repair .. you work on these often fella ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Just remembered you can't use one on both sides also as they are L and R sided

Comment

Greetings Alex - you decided to have a look in then Boyo
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

A scotsman , throw something away Shame on you
            Seriously ,I found if i replaced something ,and most somethings are in pairs, and bought two of ,for when the other one goes .
            It is pretty much Will guarantee. other one will never give trouble .The shelves sag with spares gathering dust

Comment

Working...
            X