Blunt Grading Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt Grading Bucket

Went to do a spot of gardening the other day, this involved stripping back the turf, however I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the bucket to bite into the ground.
    When changing buckets my attention was drawn to how rounded the cutting edge was, never really been a problem in water filled ditches.

So my question is this, can I take the angle grinder to the edge, to sharpen it, or will I stuff up the temper/hardness of said edge.
    If this is not the way forward what else can I do to improve cutting on harder ground?

Pete

I wore out my last grading bucket in 3.5 years I have a hardox faceplate bolted on her. It was blunt but could still work it fine. New bucket I got last month (Strickland) has a bolt on face plate and as its new she is sharp just now. Never sharpened one so can't say.

Comment

From time to time, I use my burner to cut out a worn cutting edge, which you can replace. You can buy new edge in various sizes and hardnesses depending on your application. Usually the leading edge has a bevel on the top side of it, reducing the main thickness down to about a quarter thick if that makes sense
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        From time to time, I use my burner to cut out a worn cutting edge, which you can replace. You can buy new edge in various sizes and hardnesses depending on your application. Usually the leading edge has a bevel on the top side of it, reducing the main thickness down to about a quarter thick if that makes sense
        If if the rest of the bucket is good it is a good idea to weld in a new cutting edge, normally available in different steel quality, but probably available in a fixed length of about 3 metres.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
          Went to do a spot of gardening the other day, this involved stripping back the turf, however I had quite a bit of difficulty getting the bucket to bite into the ground.
          When changing buckets my attention was drawn to how rounded the cutting edge was, never really been a problem in water filled ditches.

So my question is this, can I take the angle grinder to the edge, to sharpen it, or will I stuff up the temper/hardness of said edge.
          If this is not the way forward what else can I do to improve cutting on harder ground?

Pete
          Would really depend on just how much you need to grind back Pete.

The temper will be affected by the temperature that you achieve in the process - go at it too hard and blue it and it will degrade it. A gentle approach would not do too much harm and you could always quench as you go to keep it cooler.
          I'd guess that as it's only a 'gardening tool' it'd not be so critical to you anyway?

A pic would help to see just how bad it is

As said, a replacement would ordinarily be the way to go, or a second edge attached under the existing would give you a serious digging edge to work with and a longer toe to the bucket!

As Mick points out too, you can get new edge in varying lengths up to 7500mm long, as stock bar, or can buy it in cut to length sizes, but is a dearer way to buy it.
          Depends if you need more than just what is required in this instance.
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Finally I have found the pics I took a while back.

Finally after 1/2 an hour i have managed to get them on here, I think.

Did have a small go with angle grinder a couple of days ago, but it's going to take a while to get it back like new!!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Finally I have found the pics I took a while back.

Finally after 1/2 an hour i have managed to get them on here, I think.

Did have a small go with angle grinder a couple of days ago, but it's going to take a while to get it back like new!!!!
              Bit of an understatement that Boyo!!
              Two choices - cut out and replace with a new one ......

Or.........

Square up the front of that one a bit and weld another new edge under it, or even bolt one on, as is often done from new, by some manufacturers .

Cutting edge should drill ok, IIRC.

I'd just nail another edge on under it TBH, if it's only for 'gardening', etc. Barely worth all the effort of cutting the original out!!
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                I'd just nail another edge on under it TBH, if it's only for 'gardening', etc. Barely worth all the effort of cutting the original out!!
                That's what I would do too As long as the original is flat enough to allow a good weld all along the edge, front and back, because it takes a fair load Mind you the bucket looks good enough compared to some I've had !!
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Bolting it on is another option. Whichever way you go with a spot of weld at the ends of the edge will stop any shock loads shearing a bolt
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all replies, you all seem to be in favour of a new wear strip, what are the advantages of this over just sharpening whats there?
                    for one I can see a lighter pocket, but will a newer sharper edge be quicker to dig with? will it be more fuel efficient? or will it just make the bucket a bit bigger?
                    I have found these guys offering wear strip in metre lengths, as opposed to Digbits, who have 98" lengths,
                    http://www.bmc-buckets.co.uk/wear-parts/
                    This doesn't look too bad a price, has anyone used them? good or bad.
                    If I decide to buy I would weld it on, how far in front of the old edge should it be? something like JW's pics OK? I only have an old Pickhill type welder, will this be OK? what size rods? I have 3.2mm, or do I need a special type of rod? what Amps for best weld on this type of material? will the heat from welding affect the edge in terms of hardness?
                    Sorry for all the questions but I have not done welding on this type of material before, and don't what to mess it up.
                    JW, you look to have a decent edge on that bucket, why are you putting in a new edge?
                    Cheers Pete

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all replies, you all seem to be in favour of a new wear strip, what are the advantages of this over just sharpening whats there?
                      for one I can see a lighter pocket, but will a newer sharper edge be quicker to dig with? will it be more fuel efficient? or will it just make the bucket a bit bigger?
                      I have found these guys offering wear strip in metre lengths, as opposed to Digbits, who have 98" lengths,
                      http://www.bmc-buckets.co.uk/wear-parts/
                      This doesn't look too bad a price, has anyone used them? good or bad.
                      If I decide to buy I would weld it on, how far in front of the old edge should it be? something like JW's pics OK? I only have an old Pickhill type welder, will this be OK? what size rods? I have 3.2mm, or do I need a special type of rod? what Amps for best weld on this type of material? will the heat from welding affect the edge in terms of hardness?
                      Sorry for all the questions but I have not done welding on this type of material before, and don't what to mess it up.
                      JW, you look to have a decent edge on that bucket, why are you putting in a new edge?
                      Cheers Pete
                      I'd say he's replacing another bolt on edge that's probably worn away Ginge, looking at the existing bolt holes.

Not had much more than correspondence with BMC, who are not far from me in Chepstow and it's always been promptly and courteously responded to.
                      I know a couple of the guys on 't'other one' have had stuff from them, one very recently and all have been pleased with their purchases.
                      There is also Evans and Reid who sell edge and many steel stockholders do also.

Dyfed steels/Ex Stock Steels in Newport deffo do, right up to 25 ft lengths - I shall be ordering a length shortly as I have a few to do. A 7600mm length of 250 x 25mm bevel edged hardox is £452 + VAT (circa £1660 a tonne), but buying cut pieces will be substantially dearer, probably, depending on source.
                      Ex stock's chap, that I deal with usually, is Roger Meehan - 01633 253111 - ask him if they'll do you a cut piece - they usually will.

As far as positioning a new edge goes, I personally ( but without seeing it) would position it half and half, perhaps erring a little more rearward even, but some pix would help !

As for the rest of the Q.s, they'll have to wait as it's now 'kin late and my bed is calling. Rod wise 7018 Lo Hydrogens preferably - avoids hydrogen cracking on high strength steels!

Comment

Spot on lads the old edge had been turn once already and was burnt out Changed to two lengths of dozer blade this time so had to drill new holes at 150mm centres.

Comment

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Comment

Only advice i have ,and it probably is not relevent to over your side ,as it does not seem that Graders are all that popular over there . Don't use Grader cutting edges ,as they are curved .See a lot of "Hobbyfarmer " types here put them on.
                            No matter which way they are put on they are a problem , trying to either pull the bucket into the ground or wanting to ride up .

Comment

Working...
                            X