Greetings from Druid central !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Druid central !!

Hello - I’ve spent most of my life running my steel fabrication and crane hire business, until I became ill in late 2010 and was forced to give up what I loved doing – making things!

Was told initially I was terminally ill, then after 5 months the diagnosis was changed to an extremely rare disease called Gaucher’s, but it was treatable and that I would be on treatment for the rest of my life !!
    I was 53.

I spent a lot of time ‘winding up’ my business affairs and disposing of the assets and premises, which I finished completely last May.

I live out in ‘the country’ and have a small barn conversion with a couple of acres of ground.

After having a fabrication workshop for most of my adult life, it is hard not to have my facilities to use and so I am in the process of leveling some of my ground to put up a small workshop.
    The ground is a large bank and I started to excavate with a JCB 3CX and a 6 tonne dumper, to move the spoil to a neighbour’s ground and fill in a large gully for him.
    The ground conditions are very heavy clay-ish type soil and digging is restricted to dryer weather, or it gets everywhere!!

I have now replaced my 3CX with a Hydrema M1500, as it was becoming hard work with a 180 BHL and I needed more capacity for some of the rocks I was uncovering!!
    Plus I wanted the lifting capacity and reach that the M1500 gives me, for other uses. I chose the wheeled option, as I intend to use it as a materials handler, as well as an excavator and need to be able to ‘get about’ my property with it, without damaging the road surfaces/driveway, etc..

As a life long fabricator, I am always interested in other people’s work and like to share/help when I can.
    The 'Drema's had all sorts of attachments made for her so far

Machine experience-wise; I’ve been around heavy equipment most of my life and have operated crawler/truck mounted/self propelled cranes, FLTs, BHLs, 360 excavators – tracked and wheeled, of all sorts of sizes, up to 20t, and I will have a go at anything!!

I also used to have a LGV license and have driven trucks of all sizes. I have had a full M/cycle license since I was 17 and still ride bikes – currently a GL1500 Goldwing!

Hope this is enough of an intro for you all and feel free to ask anything you like – I might answer you !!

Graham
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

A comprehensive resumé indeed Sir ! welcome to the forum
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      A comprehensive resumé indeed Sir ! welcome to the forum

Thanks Muz

Ianoz suggested I might take a peek in here. Said there may be a few I know from other places

Gra
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Welcome Graham , Good to see you made it .
        Muz is the man that owns and runs the forum ..
        This ,as far as i am concerned is how a forum should be .It is kept up to date .
        Only thing missing is members .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
          Welcome Graham , Good to see you made it .
          Muz is the man that owns and runs the forum ..
          This ,as far as i am concerned is how a forum should be .It is kept up to date .
          Only thing missing is members .
          Evening Ian,
          Cheers
          Certainly looks good so far.
          T'other's having a bit of a sesh ATM you know who !!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
              Welcome to the forum!
              Thanks Jim.
              is this a mad house too?

Comment

I believe the lunatics have taken over the asylum yes.

Comment

Aye only the choochter ones .. Wahay wheres ma granny .. Oooohhhh the swing o' the kilt ... the fine coloured tartan
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Aye only the choochter ones .. Wahay wheres ma granny .. Oooohhhh the swing o' the kilt ... the fine coloured tartan
                    Excellent!! -I'll be in great company then

Comment

Welcome Druid you' been busy! unlike myself, forwhich I will no doubt get a slagging for non appearance good posts mate a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Welcome Druid you' been busy! unlike myself, forwhich I will no doubt get a slagging for non appearance good posts mate a good read.
                        Cheers Dan,
                        Some of us have more time than others - spent a good 35 years playing headless chicken daily, so know just what it's like mate

Glad my efforts weren't in vain and you've enjoyed 'em so far

Gra

Comment

Druid's gonna be a step-grandad!! It's official - cat's out the bag, at last -vicki & chris jnr..jpg- due November apparently

Comment

Evenin and welcome Mr Griffiths.............is it a prop or a child...........................
                            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Congratulations Grand dad to be .

Comment

Working...
                              X