No announcement yet.

Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gees , things don't move fast there in Wales do they ?
    http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/0...er-it-was-sent

Comment

• Good to see the ting tong back out .. and some more post detail .. Eeer .. you fancy making me a rotary head for my grab fella ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
        Gees , things don't move fast there in Wales do they ?
        http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/0...er-it-was-sent
        well you should see me scuttle round the floor trying to catch the latest mouse the boys have brought in for an evening's entertainment ........ that's quick and some of these country mice are 'kin rapido ..... least the live ones are
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Good to see the ting tong back out .. and some more post detail .. Eeer .. you fancy making me a rotary head for my grab fella ?
          No notifications for the two above Muz ..... six for Dylans post in Any tips for 1st day as a Dumper Driver ? !!!
          I've altered nothing in settings?

WTF is a "Ting Tong" ????? ..... hope there's enough detail for you mate .... there's lots more pix if you look in the 'Bucket .

What sort of rotary head you got in mind and what grab?
          I know for some real nice rotary units/worm, powered slew rings, in varying sizes ..... think I might have put 'em in my thread some where, otherwise I have a web link somewhere .... you'd need a rotary coupling too, but plenty of roemhelds on ebay ATM ... typical ... when I wanted one I looked for months
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            No notifications for the two above Muz ..... six for Dylans post in Any tips for 1st day as a Dumper Driver ? !!!
            I've altered nothing in settings?
            Try refreshing your browser ? The original poster in the dumper post used to be called James1981 or something and he asked me to change it, which I did being the genial host but to get all his posts renamed meant a back end refresh of forum user names

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            WTF is a "Ting Tong" ????? ....
            Well I read your use of the name for something and got the notion for it being a mag mount drill perhaps I got that wrong

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            What sort of rotary head you got in mind and what grab?
            I know for some real nice rotary units/worm, powered slew rings, in varying sizes ..... think I might have put 'em in my thread some where, otherwise I have a web link somewhere .... you'd need a rotary coupling too, but plenty of roemhelds on ebay ATM ... typical ... when I wanted one I looked for months
            Oh you know .. those ones that cost £0 .... I'm in dream land
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Grab is here

http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...er-Exctraction

Comment

• OK ..... the 30th was .... drier than it has been ... sort of !! Started well and just went downhill, but having got meself set up to do something ..... it had to have it !!

Got the Hill’s brackets tacked into position and flipped it .....

.... off the plate to weld up the brackets ......

Sequentially stitched, with bridge bracing to keep it all in place.....

End at a time

While I was waiting for the one end to cool, I put the 70mm cheek plates back on the base plate to get the location for the Aux. QC mount blocks, which I’d removed from the 70mm cheeks .....

First one .....

Second stitched ready ...

.....and all welded up solid ...... note the wetness!!!!
                Got well and truly pee-ed on ..... for about ten minutes

Followed by a clean out of all the threads of any stray spatter and crud ..... and more wetness!!!!!

Comment

• Stayed dry long enough to get a couple of coats of shiny tish on most of it

Well that was yesterday ..... this morning’s mission was to create and locate a suitable mount for my QH valve for the Hill .....

The creation .....

And the location .......

I am now extremely tight for space in the VA-r’s lower and have been wrestling with WTF to put this for ages , alternating between a few spots and then finding issues with each of them. The biggest issue has been plumbing routing and this spot give me the most available space for pipe work and routing ....

Next was to get it secured in situ ......
                  Couple of coats o’ shiny tish for this ‘un .....

And a couple of good coats of clear lacquer for this one .....

And I was good to go with securing it in spot .....

Got some holes drilled and all bolted in place, then had to modify the protective cover to fit over this area to accommodate the mounts .......

Having got all the fiddly bits done ..... for now .... still have the pipe work to sort, but more on that front later .... I have some Qs to run by you all and an idea to try perhaps on that?
                  I turned my attention to re-assembly of the lower, ready to get mated up with the upper again ...

Comment

• I put the 70mm cheeks on for now as they are they easiest to work with for getting it back in one piece .......

Got the Roemheld ......

....... back into it’s lower mounting ......

And re-plumbed to the aux ports .....

Plus the ¼” FF QCs for the Hills ‘fluids’

Followed by the ring gear and got it all pulled down, after length-ing all the bolts to suit.
                    In hind sight it would’ve been a damned sight easier to have dropped the ring gear on first and then done the Roemheld ..... C’est la vie !!

Have had some pretty intense and heavy showers this afters, so ‘battened down’ for the night .... in anticipation of lots more.

Having got it all clean, dry and ready to grease pack ... did not want it getting wet !!

Would ‘ve liked to have lifted the two halves back together today, but ‘tempus fugit’ and tea time was fast approaching ..... did not want to be in the middle of that when ‘the summons’ came.

Right questions for yer’s all ........

But firstly .... here’s my understanding of ;
                    [a] what the QH valve is and how it works.

It’s basically a 3 way diverter, but with a dump to tank, pressure relief valve ..... P goes to A, or to B when activated .. when the hitch piston dead ends either open (A) or closed (B), the relief valve dumps to tank!

It has a continuous and constant live pressure feed and is therefore continually dumping to tank, whilst the machine is running, whether the dead-man/control knockout is engaged or not to maintain QH circuit pressure.

In a tilty this ‘continuous feed’ is taken from the pressure feed to the unit, which is only supplied with pressure, when a motion is demanded/activated and relies on the non return valve in the QH ram to retain/maintain pressure to keep the hitch closed when not being fed pressure .... every time a motion operates, the pressure initially ‘tops up’ any pressure drop in the QH circuit, which then dumps to tank ... unless it goes elsewhere .... i.e. to operate whatever motion is activated. It’s therefore continually being topped up, every time a motion is activated!

I’d originally planned to run two additional ¼” lines down the boom/dipper feeding them by tee-ing into the constant supply to the Miller’s QH valve in the engine bay and terminating them in FF QCs at the dipper tip. These would then supply two new ¼” lines, that I’d have to lay in to the VA-r and to the hitch valve that got installed today .....

However .... I can see no reason why I can’t tee into my P & T lines in the VA-r’s lower and supply my QH valve with these, in the same manner as any other tilty?

The Valve will only dump to tank if the pressure has no where else to go ..... i.e. activating a motion and will only dump at full pressure. Even with an Aux att. in use, it will still only dump to tank when the Aux ... say my grab, is either dead ended, open/shut or when it has max pressure applied to grip whatever it is handling and the check valve in it will maintain full grip, unless pressure in it drops, when it will then take any excess available, before the QH valve again dumps to tank.

Are you all with me?

So.....anyone have any comments/see any problems with this ..... other than the fact that I am gonna some how have to persuade a ½” to ¼” tee into the P and T lines that are already pretty damned tight for space in the lower !!

‘Tain’t going to take a lot of trying, apart from the Tee issue and the cost of a couple of pretty short pipes to make the connections. The Valve’s A & B port’s plumbing to the Roemheld rotary’s gonna be the same whatever is feeding the valve.

Take it from me .... it’s all pretty bloody tight in there and is going to take some cramming in.

The facility to make me own pipes would be sooooooo handy!

Comment

• Lost me at the "Got a Question for ya "

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                        Lost me at the "Got a Question for ya "
                        LOL Ian ..... I'm sure you do yourself an injustice

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                          My breaker return is direct to tank Stock, via the return filter ........ and 1" hose. I see there's what I assume to be a cross line relief valve in the system which'll get re-used, close-ish to the motor .

The head is deffo more modern looking than that old beast ...... WTF is an anti-cavitation valve ..... I understand what it does, but never seen one

I'd guess from the belt cover it's got maybe 3 or 4 Vee belts ...... will have to take it off for a look see and will prob.s drop them off for initial set up/trial, save having them flaily things whizzing about
                          My understanding of this Mr Druid is that when the flail head is switched off (on the tractor) the oil is allowed to circulate between the flow and return so the motor doesn't run dry.
                          On excavators this valve needs to be fitted and for some reason they tell me the tractor valve won't do..........
                          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                            My understanding of this Mr Druid is that when the flail head is switched off (on the tractor) the oil is allowed to circulate between the flow and return so the motor doesn't run dry.
                            On excavators this valve needs to be fitted and for some reason they tell me the tractor valve won't do..........
                            I'd be guessing that that is the cross line relief valve then Stock, which allows free circulation between the two motor ports and prevents the head from coming to a dead halt when the pressure is removed .... basically a closed circuit for the motor, full of oil and free flowing to allow it to run down steadily.

Comment

• I'd intended to put this lot up last night ....... but ran out of time and a working net connection so gave up and went to bye byes!!

So ...... pretend it's Saturday again .... "groundhog day" !!

Well the day started out pretty well, weather wise .... should’ve known better !!!

I’d no sooner wound the ‘Drema up and got the top half slung and down it came

For about 20 minutes ...... torrentially !!!!!

Then the sun came out, so got it in the air and the lower under it ..
                              For a suss on level to drop it on .....

Looked ok so swung it out the way ....

to grease the ring gear up .....

And the pinion...

Before getting it in position for the reunion !!

It went together reasonably well if not a little slowly .... on me own, juggling plumbing an inch at a time and getting it meshed ..... but as they say .. “patience is a virtue” ...

Got it sat with a few bolts in loose just in time for the next .... downpour ... worse than the first one ......

That blue tub on the bench had 6mm of water in it in minutes ..... It stopped long enough for me to get all the bolts in and seriously dogged up and was in the middle of reconnecting the Roemheld to the Cetop manifold, when it really came down ......

To the point that I got the phone out and video-ed it !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqKgAZ4UIE

doesn’t do it justice ... it was biblical !!!!

ten minutes later .......

And the sun was back out ..... finished the plumbing off and while it was still slung, swung it round and got it re-attached to its parking plate ..... ain’t gonna fall over sat on that and stuck it on the bench...... for further attention ......

Comment

• groundhog day - - - part 2 LOL

I’d had a look at my fittings stocks earlier .. while waiting for the ‘biblical’ downpour to cease and found three tees ..... two ½” M/M/M 3/8” branch and one ½” F/M/F ½” branch. The latter was going to be the favourite as it would be a lot shorter in position.
                                The triple M would need a F/F adapter to connect to the swivel union with !!

The T line was first to get attention as the P line had plenty of space around it ... in comparison, that is !!

T line was just long enough to re-connect, without straining/side loading the rotary swivel union .......

Had to stick a ¼” FF male on the ½ to ¼ adapter to blank it for now .... clean out of ¼” caps !! It’ll do for now .... the new pipe position presented a new issue ..... so a little mod-ing required ......

And a few tweeks to the tilt ram pipe runs ..... all looking good tonight....... apart from the bloody weather ..... enough was enough !!
                                The P line will have to wait and I’ve ordered another F/M/F tee for it .... saves a good inch plus, on length .... and every mil counts in the VA-r !!

Very tempted ... when it’s dry, to pinch a pipe off the aux QCs underneath, from the Roemheld, to use for sizing up the lines from the P & T ports on the valve ... going to have to be banjos and I don’t have a gash/spare line with a ¼” banjo end to use for a suss.
                                The A/B ports aren’t an issue as I have quite a few spare ¼” pipes I can size those up with and will be straight forward/conventional ends to those.

Forecast is looking pretty good for tomorrow, but been informed this evening that we’re off out for lunch with Pam’s elderly cuzs .... the eldest has been struggling with cancer in his right face cheek for quite some time .... had hoped to be clear after the last op and chemo/radio treatment .... gotta go back in next week for another op ... only told him this week so want him in quick BTLs and he’s pretty down, as you’d expect.

We’ve been promising to take ‘em out for his b/day which was the same day as Pam’s, so off to one of his fave ‘eating locations’ .... a little nursery locally that does the most stupendous home cooked grub in their ‘tea rooms’.
                                I’ve raved about their cooking before !!

So..... there’ll not be a lot done ‘til later in the day tomorrow .... if at all ..... after a trip to Redcastle.
                                Must remember to bell Ollie in the morning, (guy off t'oher forum, who's planning to call in perhaps over the weekend - down doing some marathon 24 hr hill walk!!), in case he’s able/planning to call by at all later in the day .... after his 24 hr torture session !!! .... assuming he doesn’t come down off there in an ambulance !!!!
                                Last edited by v8druid; 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X