Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
    I use the ones that are mesh all way round .. dont really dry the logs as well as I was expecting when left outside covered
    interesting to hear Muz ..... look bloody fragile to me, with 'sharp', spiky bits of wood, in 'em

The solid ones don't fare too well with anything sharp in 'em
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      interesting to hear Muz ..... look bloody fragile to me, with 'sharp', spiky bits of wood, in 'em

The solid ones don't fare too well with anything sharp in 'em
      It depends on the duty thickness of the bag material, the hardness of the wood, and the size of your logs.
      label.jpg bag1.jpg bag2.jpg

I give mine quite a hard time stacking them up , the logs are harwood, and about 15" in length as I have a big stove .... the bags seem to survive quite well ... above my expectations I would say. Probably helps that I dont 'brim' the bags.
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
        It depends on the duty thickness of the bag material, the hardness of the wood, and the size of your logs.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4060[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4061[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4062[/ATTACH]

I give mine quite a hard time stacking them up , the logs are harwood, and about 15" in length as I have a big stove .... the bags seem to survive quite well ... above my expectations I would say. Probably helps that I dont 'brim' the bags.
        same certification on those I've just acquired Muz .... I've also 'packed' them fairly carefully, to avoid protrusions through the bags. Plus, I'll be lifting them on a 4 point lift, rather than a single lift, pulling the lift eyes to centre, which will hopefully help longevity, dramatically.

I currently use two 115 mm dia tubes across the forks, to support the lift eyes .... a good 'soft' bearing for them and much easier to thread the tube into the eyes and over the forks.

Been meaning to make an X shape lift beam for them for ages, so I can hang them off a single point lift too. If I do go down the bag route for bulk storage, in addition to the cages, it'll deffo be on the 'to do' list, sooner rather than later now.

Orderly packing should also make them stack much more neatly too and get plenty into 'em

In light of the availability of good timber ATM, I think a 'blitz' is in order ..... it'll save me having to do it for a year or two then and it'll all be nicely seasoned too
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• But you don't want them packed tight, you need the air to circulate, and especially in jumbo bags where not much passes through the the woven sides. Your steel crates look ideal, half a dozen of those would be very handy, I'll send you my address :)

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
            But you don't want them packed tight, you need the air to circulate,
            Yes .. agreed .. loose is best .. feck the possible bursts on the bags... they will still work after many punctures
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• well I got there today .... finished lopping and splitting it all ....

Job for Pam tomorrow ..... pack them baskets

Next load ...........

Comment

• " job for tomorrow " went to hell in a bucket at 9.30 this morning when we found a 'small person' in need of day care at the door

managed the odd few bits an' bobs, but Clara's full time, eyes on, especially on a nice day like today ... constant attention required .... plus mid potty training too so .... can't take yer eyes off her.

Did get a bag lifter design sussed and looked out a few bits for knocking it together with ......

and stuffed another bag

but, forecast to be pissy wet again tomorrow ..... so doubt the bag lifter will appear before Wednesday/Thursday .... Monday is gonna have to be fridge/freezer/grub cupboards filling day and Tuesday is the usual early kick-off Clara day !!!!

Lift a couple of baskets out Wednesday morning and Pam can go on filling 'em, while I knock out the lifter

Comment

• would've been a LOT busier Saturday ....... without our little 'angel's' presence .....
                  but .......
                  she's only gonna be this size once and she makes me smile
                  ........ which for me, is a bit of a surprise, as I've never really been 'into' 'rug rats' as a rule ..... not having had any of my own, or a great deal to do with 'little people'

First 'solo' sleep over last night,
                  as her mummy was going off to Plymouth, for a job interview this morning and staying with her brother, down there, Sunday night.
                  Looked like it might be a loooooooooooooooong night, Sunday
                  she doesn't sleep much, at night

Well - it was a very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong night
                  ---- I did get a bit more sleep than Pam though
                  Clara slept until about 11pm ..... then fits and starts for the rest of the night

Pam's like a zombie today ..... she went back to bed this afternoon for a few hours
                  and I went and did our fortnightly 'shop' to replenish the fridge/freezer/grub cupboards

Job done for another couple of weeks - hate going into town - too many germ ridden people about

day to ourselves tomorrow --- clara is with daddy all day ... bag lifter coming up .... assuming it is better weather than today
                  Forecast completely out today ... like winter out there again

Comment

" job for tomorrow "

Now that looks like overkill and a lot of work for something to lift one tonne................
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                      Now that looks like overkill and a lot of work for something to lift one tonne................
                      bear with I, Mr Stock, Sir ...... it'll also be around a long time and likely get used a lot
                      It will have other 'uses', too

Peeing down here again, ATM .... 'sposed to be 'azure skies' this week

Comment

• the only redeeming feature about the weather, first thing this morning was ....... it was not ACTUALLY peeing down ....
                        .......wasn't that far away, looking at the sky, but was still pretty cool, considering the date

deffo not the wall to wall blue sky they forecast for today and tomorrow

When's it gonna end ? !!!!!!!!

apparently about 12 today ---- sun came out, chased the grey skies away and damn me if it didn't get quite warm !!!!!

so .. got some bits cut ...

plus a few more and started to knock it out ......

bloody wind was not 'helping the cause' at all and had to grind a few welds back out, occasionally !!

but it came together

not finished yet ....

... due to the need to eat tea

got a load of gussets to fit yet ... .... mostly cut, but job for the morning

and then a good fettle, to lose any sharps I've created in the 'nailing together' process.

so shocked to have shirt sleeves temp.s today, I forgot to fit some sleeves to the arms, stitching it all up .... ..... not suffering, but the arms have had enough UV radiation for today ..... and tomorrow

Must remember to put a jacket on next time

Hopefully, I should get this finalised through the day tomorrow, but 'tis a Clara day, so we'll have to see how it goes
                        Just listening to the weather guesstimate on the box and they're claiming another couple of nice days to come We shall see

Comment

• Four short chains would be better Mr D, the degree of flexibility the chains give will make attaching and detaching easier.................

Comment

Four short chains would be better Mr D, the degree of flexibility the chains give will make attaching and detaching easier.................
                            Know exactly what you're saying Boyo, but want the 'softness' that the 'snubbing posts' give for the strap loops, especially for 'heavies'
                            plus those loops are a fair size, to get over the posts, as long as they're somewhere near in position

as you've probably guessed ..... single centre point lift for firewood block bags and a '4 leg-er' lift for HEAVIER bagfuls

Comment

Know exactly what you're saying Boyo, but want the 'softness' that the 'snubbing posts' give for the strap loops, especially for 'heavies'
                              plus those loops are a fair size, to get over the posts, as long as they're somewhere near in position

as you've probably guessed ..... single centre point lift for firewood block bags and a '4 leg-er' lift for HEAVIER bagfuls
                              Them bags are rated for 1 ton so the need for the brothers may be mute.

We have used lifting frames, forklift toes, tractor FEL and the easiest I found was the chains on the spreader frame, easier to load and move, especially when one is alone......................of course now I have an apprentice in the seat.......................

Comment

Them bags are rated for 1 ton so the need for the brothers may be mute.

We have used lifting frames, forklift toes, tractor FEL and the easiest I found was the chains on the spreader frame, easier to load and move, especially when one is alone......................of course now I have an apprentice in the seat.......................
                                LOL ...... you ain't seen the lumps of stone I got bag-ed up in some of 'em Stock ..... they'm 'sposed to have a 6:1 overload factor
                                Personally I can't see them straps sticking that level of abuse , but dare say there's a good 1700kgs in some of 'em ... which is why a lot of 'em are palletised

I find on my own, the easiest way to lift 'em with forks, is with two 114 dia. pipes slid across the forks and through the loops
                                hopefully this'll change that

As for an apprentice ........... be a while 'fore Clara can reach the pedals on the 'Drema

Comment

Working...
                                X