Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39757677787980818283848586878889

Thread: Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Well Druid .. I was missing your fantastic updates here ... saw you sowing some seed on that evil Facebook 'old girls' thread .. I thought this gentleman, is a family man .. how could he have left us ? and we felt abandoned .. undernourished .. bereft good to see you back
    Aye .. I soz Muz ..... very remiss of me ..... can't for the life of me think of a plausible excuse though other than ... not enough hours of an evening, to keep up

promise to get it updated ....... but you may live to regret that ...... i gotsalorra catching up to do
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    so .... skip to the 25th Nov .......

had an interesting afternoon ..... examining / drooling over Alex's new mount

All I can say is

Oh YEH !!

it had arrived

it's different alright ..... it was SOME tool ...
    multiple modes of operation with further choices in each mode!!

Like a Menzi, it'd take some learning to get the best out of it.
    Alex is already familiar with 'em, having used one for years, but he's got yet more toys on this un

Few niggley bits to iron out, which were in process then ... I was looking forward to having a crack at it though.
    Needed a masters touch, for what we were about , in a confined spot so left the man pilot it .

I know you're all going to be impressed with it though .... what a buy

lesson for a Saturday morning .......

Don't assume 'cos Clara and granny are playing quietly with the playdough, while you have your toast, that they're not up to mischief !!

Cheeky mares

TBF, it's actually very clever .... I certainly couldn't do that sort of thing ... wouldn't know where to start

Fair play Pam is very artistic .....
    as said ....
    where the hell would you start, doing something like that

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

it was now the 29th and .......

Scored a piece of pick up tube, earlier in that week, for that fuel pump .... me local guys had the tail off a roll about 10 ft long ... ideal and even more so, as it came gratis

installed a few fittings in the inlet that afternoon and lopped off a piece to get me to the bottom of a barrel ...

might bring it in the house and pop it on a rad, then stick a length of bar down it to keep it straight whilst it cools and hopefully adopts a slightly 'straighter attitude'

.... but did set it on the fitting, to sit against the side of a drum, which'd help it 'find bottom'.

anything'll be easier than hoiking yon drum onto a stand then lifting it on't box roof .... it works well but is just such a faff, up and down and time consuming!!

hop forward again to the 1st December
    "Better late than never" .....as they say

should have been here the previous Monday .... and having 'talked him in', 'twas nice to finally see this .....

a 'few' bits an' bobs, to be knocked together,

for a certain someone ........ an' his new toy !!

could not believe how much bother was had, trying to get someone to profile these locally!!
    Had to farm it out, ' oop cooontreee ', eventually, to get a turnaround this side of Christmas !!!!!!!

would've been even better, if it hadn't been for the 'snobbers' !!

spec.ed at a min. 50.1mm / pin clearance fit, I was a tad pissed to find
    (a) the above
    and
    (b) elliptical cuts in some of 'em ..... !!!

Out with the die grinder and a TC burr .... some time later ...

..... I was getting there,

but with several more to do.

however ...............

You can't keep a good fabby down though .....

...... and soon had 'em all set out and set up ......

ready for some stitching together, with the ol' hot stick ...

TBF .... aside from the hole issue, the profiles were damned good and cock on dimensionaly .... even with the die grinder time!
    I could not have broached the 16 holes anywhere near as quickly

started at about half twelve and by the time the lights went out, I had all four marked out, set up, stitched and ready to be welded up ... so about 4hrs roughly

flood light on for the last tidy up

I'd be well happy to get 'em welded up at the same rate !!!!

but it wasn't gonna be that day .......

gets dark real quick when that big yeller thing goes down behind them thar hills !!

three bolt on pick ups (hence the heavier duty base plates) and a weld on (which needed a base) .... got some hole centres to set out next and some perforation treatment !!

the dates tend to hop forward in 'lumps' due to the usual British weather .... total shite ... if it wasn't pissing down it was blowing a hooley

Sunday the 4th was one such example and Dozing that morning, considering a bit of a lazy start to the day when I hear a vehicle on the drive .... look at the clock ... 7:55 ... WTF is that ???

Head out the Velux ... only bloody Yodel !!!

Bought this weeks ago and it'd been winging it's way across the pond, from the States .... seen better packaging ... a lot better !!!

Considering how far this had traveled, I was amazed it made it unscathed and still in its box .... although it had obviously been trying to escape

now I know I have a spare for the VA-r ... a brand new one, but this was the first one of these I'd ever seen on Fleabay and's circa 1800 quid new ... which this is .... weren't as cheap as t'others, but at 10% of new it had to be had ..... I have an idea for an upgrade

six galleries and a case drain .....

a bit taller than the 4 gallery Roemheld in there ... but I have the space and equally importantly ... it's the same body diameter, so will fit a treat.

Fed the cats, made a cuppa and retreated back upstairs .... damn me there's another vehicle on the drive !!!

Alex and his tranny guy, come to suss getting in here and where we are for later in the week !!!!!

So much for a 'later' kick off to the day .......... 'twas up and at it !!!!

I'd spent a few hours the previous day hauling Alex's Kins log grab out, whipping the rotater off it .....

and sussing the mount centres !!

of which there was a profusion !!!!!!

got it sussed, set out and drilled

went for the 6 on a 173 PCD (I ask you ... WTF did they dream that one up from??) and on for a fit.....

sweet as ..... once I'd had a tap down through 'em to clean years of crap out the tapped holes

and enough room with the right length bolts to get a lock nut under the tapped mount plate

Now I had hoped to have been able to MIG this lot up ..... finally got around to ordering one of those 250A single phase sets that I've been promising meself ..... but it hadn't turned up yet ..... and these mounts need to be 'battle ready' for the next week ......so ......out with the trusty Caddy ......

and lay a few sticks down .....

ain't coming apart !!

dropped it on and nipped it down well enough for handling with some 8.8s .... 10.9s to be sourced to replace 'em .. soon as

then turned my attentions to the next on the agenda .... suss the PCD for the second HPX, which also needs an S50 ....

rotater off ....

to reveal the usual push fit connectors, that t'other one had

expecting to find a similar set up ....... noooo ... too easy, that'd be ... same centres, bigger ports!!!

My solution to plugging these on t'other had been pretty simple and almost off the shelf with some 12mm bolts cut down to just a head and short shank, with the heads suitably fettled to fit the appropriate gap, to keep 'em in ... had worked very well.
    Not so this time ..... 15mm ports !!!!! 7mm gap Argh!!

so .... Monday's mission for Alex (whether he chooses to accept it . . . or not),
    https://youtu.be/XAYhNHhxN0A
    is to either:-
    [a] find me a pair of M15 shanked, hex head bolts !! (I've never seen any)
    or
    [b] find me someone with a lathe to knock out a pair of top hat plugs

or
    [c] find me a piece of 15mm BDMS so's I can get creative on the bench, before I can fit the HPX with its nice new S50 cheek set.

Oh and guess what the PCD was ...... ?????? you've got it !! .... plus the usual 140 x 140 rotater feet ctrs. on a 98.5 PCD!!

got the next S50 set out and ready to perforate and get melted together ...

it's as tight a fit in here as it's going to get ..... and still function !!!

Just had to get those ports plugged .... and before you ask .... no they're not threaded ... O ring push fit seal ... hence the top hat button requirement to sit under the S50 to seal them.

Luckily this slightly newer model has built in/OE side ports, to make the connections conventionally, so I don't have to get creative with this one, like the last one.

Pound to a pinch of pig sh1t said they'd be bloody metric though !!

so 'today' was the 5th......
    Got t'other / the second head set out, holed and welded up that afternoon.

Two sets of holes, as an either / or alternative for fitment ...
    the weird 173mm PCD x 6 holes and the 140 square std Kins rotater mount centres, (another weird 197mm PCD), so it'll fit most Kins att.s with this configuration.

Remembered after I'd put the mag-drill away .... needed 4 more holes so's it'll also pick up my beam too .... annoying !!

thought I'd better make 'em a bit more recognisable too, with some APE 'branding', whilst I had 'em on the bench!!

this one fitted 'sweet as' and I even had a hand to lift the damned thing off the bench, in the shape of an 'Alex' .... hadn't realised they're 68kilos ... no wonder I been finding 'em 'heavy' !!
    Was gonna have to hump it back off in the morning though .... fit those port plugs, when / if I got 'em made !!

Clara day tomorrow and Pam'd been rough, all that night and the next day, with a gut bug doing the rounds ... Clara had had it the pprevious week and had obviously, kindly shared it with Granny !!
    so I couldn't see me getting much done , between looking after the lil' girl .... and the big one!!

Not often Pam's bad and had to persuade her to stop there that morning, which she did all day, remarkably, so must have been feeling 'proper rough' ...
    and I deffo did not want / need it ..... had a busy week ahead!

Tidy enough fit in the HPX ... knew it was gonna be tight and may yet need a turret making up for under it, to clear a certain -/*@=$- ........... you'll see why later !!

As predicted ...... naff all done that day

Had a report back on the S50 and grapple ..... 'twere a nice "snugg fit" .. as it should be

worked a treat apparently

was gonna be getting a good testing later that week !!

I'd been looking one evening at the HPXs side ports ......I might yet have to make it a packer block, tap those into the block and exit 90 out of the edge of it ..... there is f*** all room to get two hoses into the OE side ports

even with a compact elbow, either on the hose or loose onto a straight union, the amount of space is massively restricted by the four lugs on the body for mounting the ancillary ejector plate attachments ... might just about get over and behind them with the S50 in place, but was too dark to get a good look, after I'd found an adapter to fit the ports, for a gander.

Couldn't see that it'd be feasible with 1/2" plumbing though ... 3/8" possibly ??

I'd been busy on other things all day ..... and thought I might get time tthe following day for a look, between 'other things'

the Hill picked it up alright this afters and tucked it in out the way a bit better.
    Would probably suffice for loading with too, as there was no forces at work on the hook, other than vertically

don't know as I'd want to take the chance ?? safe enough for chucking it about empty though .
    First time the VA-r'd been on in a while !!
    There was a reason

Next day was a busy one ...... got the ol' cranab out and under the VA-r

It still chucked rocks about alright

this lot ......

was all off to a new home, over the next couple of days!!

to ensure a smooth load out, I'd spread 'em about a bit, as some of 'em were a tad on the tightly packed/stacked side ....

Plus I'd not had the VA-r on in a while and wanted to be sure all was well with it and there wasn't going to be any surprises for me the next day.

thought I might've been pushing my luck with a fifth one on top of the stack of four !!
    hopefully this would expedite a quick load out at 08.00 the next morning ... neighbours were gonna be happy when I wound her up at quarter to eight to warm up ...
    reckoned on a 90 minute-ish turn around for the first trip .... ish, then a bit speedier as it progressed ... perhaps .... assuming they got off loaded as quick as they went on of course ... LOL

Been a while since they got stacked and I'd forgotten just how easily the 'Drema handled these bad boys .... and just how hard that ol' Cranab grips the buggers.

I'm expecting a few jaw drop looks in the a.m., when the grab starts rotating and tilting to juggle 'em onto the transport !!

could have done without it pissing down all night of the 6th ... had been dry for days and the ground was well hard!!

not the morning of the 7th though !!!

got a lot of what I'd stacked the previous day, loaded out ....

the heaps were diminishing !!

Old Druidic cult past-time ... boulder stacking ... anything over 5 high and they're getting shakey

'Twas dark when we kicked off that morning .... and really bloody dark by the time the last load had departed that evening ....

those LEDs were brilliant ...in all senses of the word ... to quote Dan, one of the drivers ... "they're ****ing blinding"

Got a dose more of 'em sat in me box, waiting to go on ...
    need better light behind, couple down the sides to see in the mirrors / cameras ..... oh and a few more up front'd be great too

'Twere dark without 'em .... that's just the halogens on me light pole .... though to be fair to them ..... yon phone don't take the greatest of pix in low light

Another early kick off in the morning ......... for the neighbours

forecast is drier but felt like snow out!!

what a bloody day it was on the 9th ... 7.45 kick off again and bang on the dot it started snowing.... properly!!!!

were very lucky that the ground was so wet or we'd have had a fair covering .. hills all around were seriously white.

Was coming down so hard at one point that morning I'd had to stop ... couldn't see WTF I was doing .... didn't get a pic....all you could see was white !!
    It'd been coming down most of the day

last of the rocks departed that day and had a bit of a rough tidy up...

some cover was required where they'd gone, so several loads of 'Druid dirt' were required ..... VA-r off and me fave Geith on for some bank ripping..

first to go was the 'shelf' where I'd lifted a load of stuff down from recently.
    Wouldn't believe this was the same day .. a rare glimpse of sun Frday between the snow storms !!

then it was on with the forks and lift down anything I could get at, as the requirement for soil hadn't been fully met ..... had stuff lying about all over the place that night ..... BIG tidy up the next morning.

Was glad I put those LEDs on the old girl .... gets dark seriously quick and VERY early those days .... 12 more days and it'd be the shortest day ... AGAIN!!
    where the hell do the weeks go?

Again, the snow did not help 'the cause', once it got to lighting up time and had had the front window open most of the day ..... and the heater on full bore ..... hell it'd been a cold one, with worse forecast for the weekend.

as said ..... stuff strewn about all over ....

I keep saying it but, great lights
    when the big yeller thing goes down it is SERIOUSLY dark up here
    the headlights are halogens .... amazing the difference .... and halogens were considered the mutt's nuts at one time!!

18.00 Friday .... last load gone and time for some breakfast ..... hadn't had a chance to stop all day, between loading out and prepping for the next load ... I was proper hungry !!!

God knows what it was all gonna look like in the 'cold light of day' ... passable i hoped !!!!!

well didn't get the chance to see what the carnage was like on the following morning

left her the wrong way round Friday evening !!!! was gonna have to hop her round to blade me way out

started 1.30 friday night .... 8" by 8 sat. morning and we'd had another 4" through the day .... was still coming down well, by dark, but was supposed to stop about 5 a.m. on the Sunday....... we'd see!

we'd got a good foot of snow in the a.m. .. everywhere .... first job was manually dig the Rangey out,

then see about getting out up the drive

minus five tonight though and it hadn't melted much Sunday

we'd had our fair share for now TBH .....

the bins are in a sheltered corner ... don't get much sun and been no wind to dislodge this ... gave a pretty good idea of what we got in 26 hrs

poxy white sh 1 T .... I really do hate the stuff, with a passion .. just work ...... lots of it!!

needed to get out Monday ....

..... and having had to negotiate that bit of drive in the past ... usually sideways, it had to have the shovel to it Sunday. ....
    I'd be parking up on the patch ... nice and flat/level ... when I came back. No worries about doing the full 4 wheel drift maneuvre on the cross slope .... there ain't one !!

I'd seen enough snow for last year, those last 48 hrs .... it's very pretty to admire nature's wonders .....

.....but it's 'kin cold, bloody inconvenient and you can't see a damned thing buried under it !!
    There was 2 grabs, five head plates and a few other bits an' bobs under that pile of whiteshite .... somewhere ??

needed to get the one finished, put t'other one back away, out me way and tidy up from the last weeks escapades, on Thursday / Friday, "getting me rocks off" as you'd put it ...
    Was nice to 'unload' them all, to one destination, in one hit. Busy couple of days though .... jeez there were some lumps in that pile !!!

Oh and I had to stop me new MIG being delivered monday .... they'd never have gotten back out !!!

had a call from the new MIG welder's supplier's delivery driver, asking directions and instructions .... "ring me later in the week ... I ain't towing you back out today"

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39757677787980818283848586878889