Milling er Drilling machine Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling er Drilling machine Bench

Having recently just bought a mag mount milling machine, I need some sort of mobile work top for it .. anyone use one ? ... I have a few ideas, but just wondered what you guys use .. something with a variable stepped height perhaps for different work pieces, and adjustable chocks maybe .. a kind of black and decker workmate in steel I have a metal topped bench, but not sure whether to adapt it, as its got other kit stacked on it ATM
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Originally posted by Muz View Post
    Having recently just bought a mag mount milling machine, I need some sort of mobile work top for it .. anyone use one ? ... I have a few ideas, but just wondered what you guys use .. something with a variable stepped height perhaps for different work pieces, and adjustable chocks maybe .. a kind of black and decker workmate in steel I have a metal topped bench, but not sure whether to adapt it, as its got other kit stacked on it ATM
    http://www.shobha-india.com/precisio...ces-p22.html#2

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/ss...lide&ACTION=Go

cheaper one

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/E...ml#a4288306_2e

Also a handy bit of gear

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/engineerin...ill-press-etc/

However Muz, these mag stands are Drills not Mills - there's far too much play in the sliders on 'em to get any really accurate milling done, unless you lock the slides solid, plus the broaches cut on their ends, not their flanks like a slot drill for a milling machine, which will cut on both ends and flanks...

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      However Muz, these mag stands are Drills not Mills
      yes you are right not used to this high tech
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

yes you are right not used to this high tech
        I dare say Muz that with the sliders suitably adjusted - i.e. locked up, with some care it could be done, but you'd need a milling cutter/slot drill and one of those lil' compound slides.

A decent piece of UB makes a good platform to sit the drill on, to get height and clearance under it!

WP_20150329_17_03_26_Pro crop.jpg WP_20150328_14_37_07_Pro.jpg
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Funny you should say that ? look what I spotted and looked out last night and thought hmm ?

IMG_3286[1].jpg

I was going to turn it on its side and weld that plate over it to mount the drill, then cut the wings off left and right to give a clear work area ?

Comment

that compound table looks nifty for the money ?

Comment

Something like this

IMG_3288[1].jpg IMG_3289[1].jpg

Couple of slots on the base would be good for some sort of clamp bar ... anyway laters

Comment

Something like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2522[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]2523[/ATTACH]

Couple of slots on the base would be good for some sort of clamp bar ... anyway laters
                I'd have slashed it back t'other way Boyo, to give even more scope, but looks a handy weapon !

muz.jpg

Agree about the slots too

Is that a 7" Dewalt on the floor?

I've used their 5", 1400W DW 831s for years - use 'em all day without yer arm dropping off and last for ever. Not cheap but the mutt's nuts

Comment

that compound table looks nifty for the money ?
                  Both look handy, 'cept the ones a tad on the 'rich' side for my liking and the amount you'd likely use it
                  Chronos are fairly good on 'budget' gear and not too bad a quality for the bucks

Comment

I'd have slashed it back t'other way Boyo, to give even more scope, but looks a handy weapon !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2524[/ATTACH]
                    I think you're right, cos its not massively loaded good plan. I'm keeping the other side free for future development as I get to see how these mag machines work out

Is that a 7" Dewalt on the floor?

I've used their 5", 1400W DW 831s for years - use 'em all day without yer arm dropping off and last for ever. Not cheap but the mutt's nuts
                    Think its a 9 or 10 and I have the 5" too .. cant fault them really

Comment

I think you're right, cos its not massively loaded good plan. I'm keeping the other side free for future development as I get to see how these mag machines work out

Think its a 9 or 10 and I have the 5" too .. cant fault them really
                      No where near as much loading with a broach, as a drill

I find the ol' 9" a bit of a handful these days, for prolonged use - makes my hands ache, so the 5", with the power it has, is just ideal

I've had 10 years daily use out of those 5"-ers, before having to replace 'em . Ten hard years, a piece, on the shop floor, day in day out - they are just great tools.
                      The two I have ATM should see me out I reckon

Comment

I find the ol' 9" a bit of a handful these days, for prolonged use - makes my hands ache,
                        Yes I agree .. put a new disc on today to grind that H beam ... and well .. I knew I'd 'done' the job by the time I was finished .. I should have blown more off with the torch

Comment

Yes I agree .. put a new disc on today to grind that H beam ... and well .. I knew I'd 'done' the job by the time I was finished .. I should have blown more off with the torch
                          Yeh, it's why I tend to favour the lil' 5 inch-ers these days - plenty of guts to get it off, but not such a handful and handle-able enough for one handed fettling when required

It's got to be a biggish lump of grinding before I get a 9" out.
                          Must replace my 7" - a good in between-er and a lot less strain on the wrists - last one died some time ago and just haven't gotten around to 'acquiring' a.n.other one Dewalt do a tidy 7" ......... at a price!!

Comment

Originally posted by building materials
                            Hi guys i am looking for wholesale construction materials suppliers can you help me by suggesting one.
                            spammer alert Muz

Comment

spammer alert Muz
                              Yeah cheers for heads up ... but ya know what .. he did me a favor, I enjoyed re reading that

Comment

Working...
                              X