No announcement yet.

IHI 16 BROKEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at the exploded drg, the grease looks to be forced up the centre of the rod to the bottom of the cylinder, so the grease port can never be covered to the point that it won't go in there.
    Grease gun obviously ain't got the guts to shift it so ...... replace nipple with hyd adaptor, couple up a hand hyd pump and give it some pressure ....... gently.
    Suggest having the whole contraption contained some how, in something substantial - steel box, or similar, in case it decides to go ballistic​, with any decent pressure in in it!!
    If it don't go with a LOT of pressure in it, try some gentle taps at the side of the blank cylinder end ...... bearing mind that it may become a missile at any time!
    Otherwise, contain it, pump to the max and leave it - could also try a kettle of boiling water over the closed cylinder end regularly, or a steam cleaner if available, with it under serious pressure still - just be VERY VERY wary of it in this situation, it could be deadly
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by IHI mini View Post
      Hi ,
      I used a trick from youtube, lump of wood in the track, drive the track over the idler, the wood forces the ram back. Worked a treat, you are telling youtube lied to me?
      No but .. like searching the Internet for health problems .. sometimes speaking to a doctor is best

Well that explains why she's in so good

The spring should only just be in tension as its bolted together, otherwise it couldnt be field stripped .. but try slackening the ram retaining bolts a bit and see if it starts to get loose ?.. if it doesent you might be right, and dont risk it if you are worried

Follow the instructions on this thread in the about section for posting pics

http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...s-to-the-forum

Heat is usually a fix, but not so effective here .. I'd try other methods first

Have you given the bolt heads a really good clean and are sure they are welded ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi ,
        I used a trick from youtube, lump of wood in the track, drive the track over the idler, the wood forces the ram back. Worked a treat, you are telling youtube lied to me?

A bit frightened to undo the spring bolts, I hear the compression of these springs are enormous, the bolts heads appear to be welded on too.

About some heat on the ram tube?

'use the 'about' section above' must be me, but I don't follow this.

Steve
        The spring looks to be contained around the cylinder Dave with washer no. 8 one end and held in place t'other end by the 1, 2, 3 & 4 part no.s of the assembly.
        Looking at that it's purely a shock absorber to allow a little movement in the track tension! The rod/piston is totally independent.
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          bearing mind that it may become a missile at any time!
          .. Um ... I'd avoid any use of hydraulic pressure to free this .... lets try some passive methods first
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
            .. Um ... I'd avoid any use of hydraulic pressure to free this .... lets try some passive methods first
            To Quote Ianoz from another thread - "no sense of adventure"

Know what you're saying Muz, but ............ IMHDO .. this is beyond a bit of passive abuse - a very gentle approach with a hand pump'd be my next try - but no way would I advocate using a power pack - unless you want to launch it into next month/year/universe

Comment

Hi All,

Looking at this lot, I can't understand what the spring is doing.(I found out the spring tension is 26mm, ie free length 161mm, 135mm fitted.)

I am trying to send pics. When I click on 'insert image' I don't have the browse option and don't use URL sites. I don't understand my the first image I did, was a simple copy from one source, then pasted to here. ????

Any road up, it's beer time, then I make even less sense than normal. Tomorrow I will find a bigger hammer, I will keep you informed.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Hi All,

Looking at this lot, I can't understand what the spring is doing.(I found out the spring tension is 26mm, ie free length 161mm, 135mm fitted.)

I am trying to send pics. When I click on 'insert image' I don't have the browse option and don't use URL sites. I don't understand my the first image I did, was a simple copy from one source, then pasted to here. ????

Any road up, it's beer time, then I make even less sense than normal. Tomorrow I will find a bigger hammer, I will keep you informed.

Cheers

Steve
                Open a (new) Photobucket a/c Steve - it's free - and load yer pix to that, then click on 'get links' for the URLs to post here!
                You don't have enough posts to have manage att.s, I think - a problem I had at the start here

Muz'll soon put me straight on that if I've got it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                  Open a (new) Photobucket a/c Steve - it's free - and load yer pix to that, then click on 'get links' for the URLs to post here!
                  You don't have enough posts to have manage att.s, I think - a problem I had at the start here

Muz'll soon put me straight on that if I've got it wrong!
                  Ah yes its 5 post or 1 day I think is the criteria .. I'll fix that now for ye fella

Comment

Hi All,

Cheers

Steve
                    Well ill if there is a 26mm spring compression, then surely the bolts must be long enough to release it! Applying any heat would melt any seals that were in the cylinder.

Mick

Comment

give up

This morning I get a jack in there again, bent the ram, bugger. Now I give up, I will give it to the experts.

Trawling around the local machine shops, one pointed me to Thorne Hydraulics. He said, "of course we call fix that" I think it will cost £££
                      but better than hurt your self and others.

Funny, I can get the 'browse' function now, here are some pics

Funny, after this one, it won't do any more.

More on the spring. It has only 5mm left when bolted up. What is the point for 5mm?

Thank you all for your inputs. When I get the bits back, I will (try) to sent a pics.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

This morning I get a jack in there again, bent the ram,
                        Howd you do that fella ? ... . my mission objective is to save you guys cash .. not spend it

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Howd you do that fella ? ... . my mission objective is to save you guys cash .. not spend it
                          I was wondering that too, seeing as how the ram was stuck inside the cylinder, last going off?

Comment

Working...
                          X