Thread: another clever idea-lube free ball bearings

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

another clever idea-lube free ball bearings

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Tartan paint and sky hook supplier .. also long stands Muz's Avatar
    I see the principal .. and its interesting, but, I can also see where it will fail. A lot depends on the metals ofcourse, but when the race wears, as many do, the dynamics will change. Not only that, the propensity for particles to accumulate in the bearing would be more likely with this design which would accelerate wear. Whether these are greater costs than replacing a bearing with a failed cage is another matter, (and Ive had a few) .. infact I think I posted here somewhere about it ? The last most noteable one was on a track motor on a 3 tonner .. big 6 inch bearing that failed due to the plastic cage breaking up
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help lots of others, which is why we exist

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    I see the principal .. and its interesting, but, I can also see where it will fail. A lot depends on the metals ofcourse, but when the race wears, as many do, the dynamics will change. Not only that, the propensity for particles to accumulate in the bearing would be more likely with this design which would accelerate wear. Whether these are greater costs than replacing a bearing with a failed cage is another matter, (and Ive had a few) .. infact I think I posted here somewhere about it ? The last most noteable one was on a track motor on a 3 tonner .. big 6 inch bearing that failed due to the plastic cage breaking up
    Agreed - the fact it's running lube free is going to generate a lot of heat too, I'd have thought. I also wonder how they'd perform in lower speed applications too?

At least with a cage, separation is guaranteed, except in the case of cage failure, as you say, usually with disastrous consequences!!
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Grease and oil are cheap and painless....just my two cents. They are messy though at times. lol