Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 801.5 breaker quickie connectors

I have a little project

I have a JCB 801.5 which I use on the farm for clearing ditches, drainage etc. I'd like to use it to drive an earth auger for putting in gateposts for which I have nice hydraulic motor powered gearbox. Thinking of driving it from the breaker hydraulics but don't have a clue what to ask for in the way of quickie fittings, no problem if it was the tractor but these are a type I've never used before. The fiittings are a standard JCB factory fit I think.

So, questions.....

1, What to ask for regarding connectors
    2, can you buy these as re-usable types so I can make up my own pipes
    3, where is the best place to buy the bits.

The motor/gearbox came from a quarry conveyor belt drive so plenty of torque to drive an auger.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Blairvoyach View Post
    I have a little project

I have a JCB 801.5 which I use on the farm for clearing ditches, drainage etc. I'd like to use it to drive an earth auger for putting in gateposts for which I have nice hydraulic motor powered gearbox. Thinking of driving it from the breaker hydraulics but don't have a clue what to ask for in the way of quickie fittings, no problem if it was the tractor but these are a type I've never used before. The fiittings are a standard JCB factory fit I think.

So, questions.....

1, What to ask for regarding connectors
    2, can you buy these as re-usable types so I can make up my own pipes
    3, where is the best place to buy the bits.

The motor/gearbox came from a quarry conveyor belt drive so plenty of torque to drive an auger.

Jeff.
    Hi Jeff,

Flat face couplings is what you want, 1/2" BSP male and female pairs, many places sell them, starting at around £30.00, Holmbury is one make.

Mick

Comment

You can get any hoses made up as you need them. Your biggest job will be to mount the motor in a cradle so it can drive your auger I use whites of Bristol for several Ive had http://www.whitesmh.co.uk/earth-augers.html they supply drill bits and all sorts

You will need to build it with a pinion drive that some ready manufactured flights will work with, not hard, but I'd suggest buying a flight of your desired drilling diameter and building your drive unit to suit.

Remember you will need bi directional flow so you can turn it both ways
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Cheers for the advice guys. Got the fittings on order.

Making the cradle etc. won't be the problem, during the day I work in the local engineers as a fitter welder. My plan is to get a drive boss made up to fit into the auger shaft and be mounted via angular contact bearings to the cradle. The gearbox, which originally was driving a quarry belt, I intend loosly coupling to the auger drive with a shear bolt (in case of hitting stones), should be more than enough torque to drive an 8" auger. I know I could hire one for less than it will cost to build but I hate having useful stuff lying around and I'm a tinkerer at heart. Already made my own grading bucket but hydraulics and their fittings are a mystery to me.

I do have two way flow on the breaker port. That was a question I asked here waaaay back when I first bought the digger.

If there is any interest, I will post build pics and a video for you all to laugh at

Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blairvoyach View Post
          If there is any interest, I will post build pics and a video for you all to laugh at
          Course there is Jeff ..lets be seeing it .. in every detail There'll be no laughs.. This forum isn't about judgement ... its about help
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yeah get 'em up Boyo, I'm dying to see what you're describing for the drive unit.
            Could do with an auger meself.
            I've got a hydraulic capstan winch, with an epi-cyclic reduction box on it, which I've been considering modifying/removing the capstan and fitting a hex drive spigot to it.

Another Druidfab attachment coming up 'praps !!
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
            X