Converting Kubota Kx080 from rubbers to steel tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
    So how'd you get the rod out????? or was the covered bit in better nick?
    Put the tensioning nipple/bolt back in and pump it out about an inch to reduce the neck tension, take the bolt back out to allow air in, and just pull the piston out by hand .. it does take a bit of grunt though. The area thats never been exposed is still shiney inside. If its really stuck you could weld something to the end to allow the use of some persuasion device aka a hammer

You sure that's chromed Muz? Looks like polished BDMS EN10 or 12 to me ?? can't see any difference between the parent material and 'the chrome'? Would deffo expect to see a definition between each, on the chamfer???

I'd be plastering that lot in grease, when it goes back in, to keep your lovely Scottish weather at bay!!

Looks a good job though mate
    Think I'll phone them to find out what it is ? ... it does look like a single metal to me. You cant really grease it externally because once its in there, and the track goes back on, you have to pump the piston out about an inch and a half to tension up the track, and theres no way to access the exposed part after that.
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I keep a hand spray bottle of Shell Ensis rust preserving oil cut 50:50 with white spirit for things like that. Adjust the track then a liberal spay over everything - it'll run over the back as well. Dries to a waxy film. Easily removed by more white spirit. Military use it for outside storage - Shell claim bare steel out doors ok for 12 months. I first used it when I had to put my machine tools (lathes mills etc) in an open barn for a year whilst I built a workshop. Everything came out superbly- except for the bits I missed :(

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
        I keep a hand spray bottle of Shell Ensis rust preserving oil cut 50:50 with white spirit for things like that. Adjust the track then a liberal spay over everything - it'll run over the back as well. Dries to a waxy film. Easily removed by more white spirit. Military use it for outside storage - Shell claim bare steel out doors ok for 12 months. I first used it when I had to put my machine tools (lathes mills etc) in an open barn for a year whilst I built a workshop. Everything came out superbly- except for the bits I missed :(
        Sounds interesting .. but as I say .. you can't get to the rod once the track is in tension as its in a box section.

I've just phoned the shop and they say its EN14 carbon steel with a 25 micron industrial Nichrome coating .. he said you cant really see the coating even once the ends have been ground down .. so there ye have it
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Sounds interesting .. but as I say .. you can't get to the rod once the track is in tension as its in a box section.

I've just phoned the shop and they say its EN14 carbon steel with a 25 micron industrial Nichrome coating .. he said you cant really see the coating even once the ends have been ground down .. so there ye have it
          A gaiter of some description'd be bloody useful on that eh?

Like the sound of Andrews gloop - i've seen military stuff that's been coated in it ....... damned good gear
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

A gaiter of some description'd be bloody useful on that eh?
            Agreed .. infact as a result of this discussion I thought of exactly that !! They are used everywhere else for the same reason

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Agreed .. infact as a result of this discussion I thought of exactly that !! They are used everywhere else for the same reason
              I 'spose the big issue is sourcing one that's dimensionally suitable ....... few here you could try -

http://www.trpsealing.com/bellows-an...FW7KtAodLlwKjg

http://www.rubber-bellows.co.uk/

http://runfoldplastics.co.uk/industr...llows-gaiters/

http://www.rubbertech2000.co.uk/rubber-gaiters.php

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/categories/1...ellows-gaiters

http://www.martins-rubber.co.uk/performance/

That last one looks like they make everything under the sun

Bound to be someone doing a gaiter that'd suit Muz - could start selling 'em on mate
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

holes..

Would it not have been a lot cheaper and easier to just go and buy a tap set??

john..

Comment

Originally posted by john87 View Post
                  Would it not have been a lot cheaper and easier to just go and buy a tap set??

john..
                  BUT ...... that would take all the joy out of sussing a "get around" LOL

Comment

The threads were that buggered, you wouldnt know where to tap ? so you could cook up muchos more problemos and doubtless snap a few along the way... best job was a clean break, and all holding well to this day

Comment

Working...
                    X