Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precision Engineering with Sledge Hammer !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision Engineering with Sledge Hammer !!!

I came across this Youtube video while searching for tips greasing my slew ring.

Who needs grinding or scraping - no need to mess about with engineers blue - all you need is a Sledge Hammer

feature=player_embedded&v=of4dhbBS-9M" target="_blank"> of4dhbBS-9M

They never seem to consider that the slew gear itself might be warped !

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
    I came across this Youtube video while searching for tips greasing my slew ring.

Who needs grinding or scraping - no need to mess about with engineers blue - all you need is a Sledge Hammer

feature=player_embedded&v=of4dhbBS-9M" target="_blank"> of4dhbBS-9M

They never seem to consider that the slew gear itself might be warped !
    Too painful to watch ........ gave up after 5 minutes of abusing the crap out of that poor lil' turret !!!
    Would like to know just what was at fault and how it came to be soooooooo rocky!!

Muz yer bugger - yer's moved all the Icons about again!
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Seems that the slew bearing actually broke! He has another video of the wreckage:

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
        Seems that the slew bearing actually broke! He has another video of the wreckage:

Jeez .......... more painful viewing with a turret that out o' shape it's hardly surprising the original broke up or was it the break up caused it ?

chicken and the egg
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          Jeez .......... more painful viewing with a turret that out o' shape it's hardly surprising the original broke up or was it the break up caused it ?

chicken and the egg
          Brings back memories of Hanix's, could maybe make an easy dredger build!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            Muz yer bugger - yer's moved all the Icons about again!
            Havent touched a thing .. sometimes they bunch differently on different computers or browsers.

Usually the ring bearing gets so worn that the machine starts to nod a bit, and you can see the wear by using the bucket to jack the machine off the ground. If theres any lift, before the undercarriage comes up with the superstructure, thats free play in the bearing, and there shouldnt be hardly any at all. Eventually the whole unit will fail. Machines that have done a lot of breaker work are more prone to trouble like this.
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Havent touched a thing .. sometimes they bunch differently on different computers or browsers.

Usually the ring bearing gets so worn that the machine starts to nod a bit, and you can see the wear by using the bucket to jack the machine off the ground. If theres any lift, before the undercarriage comes up with the superstructure, thats free play in the bearing, and there shouldnt be hardly any at all. Eventually the whole unit will fail. Machines that have done a lot of breaker work are more prone to trouble like this.
              LOL - mine seem to change every five or six days !! Just get used to what's where and bugger me they've all up-ed and moved again!!
              Same 'elsewhere' too, so must be a software thing ....... keep you on yer toes !!

Ring lift was the big check when buying a s/h mobile crane - put the boom on the rest and get someone to watch the ring as you take the weight from arse heavy, with the tail weight hanging, to nose heavy with the boom air-borne again.
              Wear is inevitable, but that lil' JakieB, in bits, looks pretty tidy to have a catastrophic failure like that.
              As you say, you'd get tell tale signs long before that sort of issue reared its ugly head.

Comment

Working...
              X