1 RB's home made toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 RB's home made toys

I thought i'd put up a few pictures of some projects I've been tinkering with in the work shop.

i see a clip on you tube of a 13 ton duck with a grading bar in sweden & thought that looks good, so fired up the welder & thought I'll have a go & make one.

I started with a piece of RSJ pulled out of a extension demo job.

i cut some triangles out & warmed up with gas to bend the ends round to a 45 degree angle & welded a flat plat on the end. I had an old top hat from a breaker kicking around so nailed that on the top & hay presto 2 meter grading bar

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cool .. but with no long 'arse' on it .. it must be hard to control depth unless the digger has good float control ? .. or ofcourse the pilot in the seat has hand of leonardo de takeuchi
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

The next little project was a rake for prepping lawns for seed or turf.

this time I started with a 6 inch bit of box section 2 meters long, 320 mm long 20 mm round bar welded to the back & a bit of 1 inch box welded half way down the tines as a bit of a crumble bar.

then out with the new plasma to rattle up a top hat, so melting my way through an 8-4 sheet of half inch plate a set of bucket ears appeared.

Some 40 mm bar for pins & a few more kgs of mig wire to finish it off

I thought I'd be posh & crack open the black oxide primer for a coat of paint next door in the spray booth.

Attached Files

Comment

Look out Druid , Looks like you have some competition in the making stuff Field .
        Some good looking stuff there mate .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
          Look out Druid , Looks like you have some competition in the making stuff Field .
          Some good looking stuff there mate .
          Dunno how, but I missed this one - some good looking, well made gear here from 1RB's stable. Got a nice MIG to hand too, by the looks of the welding on the rake!!

1RB - you might like to invest in one of these for getting yer holes and curves a bit 'sweeter'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Circ...item259bf3c037

they're invaluable for getting a nice hole/curve - clamp it to the torch neck and away yer go
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I was going for the agricultural look. I did make a template on the computer, printed it out & stuck it to a bit of 10 mm ply & cut it out with a fret saw. The template is 5 mm smaller than it needs to be & I just run the plasma around the template. The pin holes are 45 mm for 40 mm bar so I've got a little wiggle room to get them lined up, the alignment has to be spot on for the 's' type coupler.

druid your right on the mig, 350 murex also my new toy is oxford plasma with 36 mm cutting capacity that also does thermal gouging & heating so don't need bottles any more
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1 RB View Post
              I was going for the agricultural look. I did make a template on the computer, printed it out & stuck it to a bit of 10 mm ply & cut it out with a fret saw. The template is 5 mm smaller than it needs to be & I just run the plasma around the template. The pin holes are 45 mm for 40 mm bar so I've got a little wiggle room to get them lined up, the alignment has to be spot on for the 's' type coupler.

druid your right on the mig, 350 murex also my new toy is oxford plasma with 36 mm cutting capacity that also does thermal gouging & heating so don't need bottles any more
              That is the one problem with a plasma - the cut nozzle is such a fine item that the steadiest of hands is needed to get a real nice flawless edge to a cut.
              What torch is on your set RB?
              Used to have a contact nozzle tip on my Traffimets, which allowed you to rest the torch on the job and give a constant distance between nozzle and work piece, which was one less factor to have to contend with.
              The hole template is also one I used to use too - makes for much easier cutting!

Can imagine that the S type doesn't have much tolerance for pin alignment - do you parallel pack them underneath, with a distance spacer between to get them parallel to each other?

I take it the Plasma is 70 amps. looking at its model no.? ....... can't honestly see it doing 36mm though?
              Used to have a 120A Cifi plasma which was rated at 34mm IIRC.
              Have cut 30mm with it and couldn't see it doing a lot more, cleanly

Not seen a plasma with a heat faclility - bet that's damned good !!

Is it inverter, or conventional power source?

Yer MIG certainly ain't gonna struggle, on most stuff and can see it certainly 'puts it down' !!
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Copper wound coils inside, I think is made by thermal dynamics under oxford branding, it's got a trafimet tourch with drag tips. I've only had a bugger about with the thermal gouging, you have to change the tips & turn the air up but blows out welds really well without burning the plate either side.

the hanging brackets are quite hard to get lined up but with lots of measuring & tacking temp braces in different places to minimise heat distortion.
                The tolerance is very fine on S type couplers, I brought some buckets from Abilijo that the pin centres were out by 4 mm & wouldn't fit, but after some f### down the phone & out with grinder for a quick fix.

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/Plasma_Cu...ter_range.html

Comment

Damn I need a new welder bad gonna have to study this thread .. whats the wee track barrow RB ?
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

That tracked barrow belongs to a chap who does abit of work with me, it was a bit crap till we fitted greedy boards, now you can fit 3 barrows worth of gear in it & track any where. It is suited to his u-10 Kubota & tight back garden jobs. Little Honda petrol engine on it

Comment

Originally posted by 1 RB View Post
                      That tracked barrow belongs to a chap who does abit of work with me, it was a bit crap till we fitted greedy boards, now you can fit 3 barrows worth of gear in it & track any where. It is suited to his u-10 Kubota & tight back garden jobs. Little Honda petrol engine on it
                      I have two lying in 'state' at the moment.. an HTC one that needs its pump resealed and a little Cormidi horror that needs new sprockets but it will take me 3 years to unwind the tensioner one nut face at a time to do it

Comment

I'm useless getting a decent line with a plasma, I wiggle all over the place

A few weeks back I bought an 'eBay Special' Chinese laser cutter / engraver, and one of my 'justifications' to myself was although really for engraving it will cut 5 mm ply which I can use as templates for the plasma

Not done so yet - just mucking about learning to use it making things like these boxes
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Damn I need a new welder bad gonna have to study this thread .. whats the wee track barrow RB ?
                          I've used one of these at a mate's shop Muz and am considering acquiring one my self, so was well happy to find he'd got a couple - he's replacing all his rectifier power sources as it's cheaper than getting 'em all tested and calibrated to comply with all the new CE bollox that fab shops are now subject to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251407053489...84.m1436.l2649

4 rolldrive and a gasmiser system too

There are a few models in his other items!!!!

The guy, Phil Weeks, is a 'proper' welding equipment & consumables supplier, based in Bath.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
                            I'm useless getting a decent line with a plasma, I wiggle all over the place

A few weeks back I bought an 'eBay Special' Chinese laser cutter / engraver, and one of my 'justifications' to myself was although really for engraving it will cut 5 mm ply which I can use as templates for the plasma

Not done so yet - just mucking about learning to use it making things like these boxes
                            That looks a cool bit of kit Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                              I have two lying in 'state' at the moment.. an HTC one that needs its pump resealed and a little Cormidi horror that needs new sprockets but it will take me 3 years to unwind the tensioner one nut face at a time to do it
                              Could you not put a ratchet strap round the track to take the pressure off the nut, so it's finger tight

ON EDIT
                              Just realised I'm talking bollox here Muz - the tensioner will still be pushing against the strap ..... and adjuster !!!
                              Last edited by v8druid; 22-08-2015, 10:38 PM. Reason: a der!!!! moment

Comment

Working...
                              X