Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We've just fitted 6 new washers and driers"

Not another launderette owner

Passed mine on to my son several years back.

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      That's terrific v8, thank you for making them appear on here! An excellent reference!

Realistically the money I'd need to put into mine to make it tight on the pins, replace most hoses, not sure how clever the track pins are, although the sprockets look pretty good, engine needs attention, unless its a deliberate Perkins ploy to stop engine left standing corroding in the water space by providing a nice black oil seal on top of the cooling water in the rad!

As I did say though - all the hydraulics do what they should - slew brake / travel motor brakes work, tracks pretty straight, strong pump etc so it has many of the basics!
      Would have to re-plumb the boom raise/lower and dipper in/out as they are swapped over which slows me down!
      The sticky but worn mechanical linkages to the valve blocks are a frustration as it makes doing anything delicate very difficult.
      With gear like a lathe and the right parts this is another thing that would be do-able, to be fair.

Will probably concentrate on the Mitsubishi 7 tonner as I'm much more likely to use that now I have it, and it needs some work.
      First thing was a starter motor which had dissapeared in a torturous story of time-wasters plaguing the PO.
      I rang the mitsubishi parts people who we use for the other ships genny's and they quoted the best part of 1500 delivered on an emergency order from Japan - would have been 52 days, although that was better than the standard 70+!
      Got a used but good one from the dealer for £400 delivered, which stung. But the digger price reflected that.
      It also had a supposedly duff injection pump, which I didn't believe as the history didn't ring true.
      Thankfully I had surmised correctly, and the issues others had thought were the pump, were actually a loose pipe letting air in the suction side of the lift pump.
      Glow plugs were another fun episode, of incorrect types, despite supposedly being the type fitted from an online seller.
      I was popping out 40 miles in the evenings to work on this, in the middle of winter, leaving home at 7pm when the kids were in bed, and getting back by 11. Took a few more trips than the two I had expected, but got it home.

The thing I've realised is that it isn't a patch on a servo controlled machine, which does show the improvement over the years. Although I did find that a Poclain 81ck on oil servo's was nice and precise to use, but having not driven a modern machine (that I wouldn't want to own with all that electrickery, and probably couldn't afford to own with the potential dealers bills) I don't know how much better they would be.
      Even with my in-experience I still notice how much more difficult it is to do the same job with an old machine as a more modern!

But I fear modern machines will be a bit like the current agircultural tractors - great until out of warranty at 5 years, then un-realistic to own.

Comment

Originally posted by longstroke View Post
        That's terrific v8, thank you for making them appear on here! An excellent reference!

Realistically the money I'd need to put into mine to make it tight on the pins, replace most hoses, not sure how clever the track pins are, although the sprockets look pretty good, engine needs attention, unless its a deliberate Perkins ploy to stop engine left standing corroding in the water space by providing a nice black oil seal on top of the cooling water in the rad!

As I did say though - all the hydraulics do what they should - slew brake / travel motor brakes work, tracks pretty straight, strong pump etc so it has many of the basics!
        Would have to re-plumb the boom raise/lower and dipper in/out as they are swapped over which slows me down!
        The sticky but worn mechanical linkages to the valve blocks are a frustration as it makes doing anything delicate very difficult.
        With gear like a lathe and the right parts this is another thing that would be do-able, to be fair.

Will probably concentrate on the Mitsubishi 7 tonner as I'm much more likely to use that now I have it, and it needs some work.
        First thing was a starter motor which had dissapeared in a torturous story of time-wasters plaguing the PO.
        I rang the mitsubishi parts people who we use for the other ships genny's and they quoted the best part of 1500 delivered on an emergency order from Japan - would have been 52 days, although that was better than the standard 70+!
        Got a used but good one from the dealer for £400 delivered, which stung. But the digger price reflected that.
        It also had a supposedly duff injection pump, which I didn't believe as the history didn't ring true.
        Thankfully I had surmised correctly, and the issues others had thought were the pump, were actually a loose pipe letting air in the suction side of the lift pump.
        Glow plugs were another fun episode, of incorrect types, despite supposedly being the type fitted from an online seller.
        I was popping out 40 miles in the evenings to work on this, in the middle of winter, leaving home at 7pm when the kids were in bed, and getting back by 11. Took a few more trips than the two I had expected, but got it home.

The thing I've realised is that it isn't a patch on a servo controlled machine, which does show the improvement over the years. Although I did find that a Poclain 81ck on oil servo's was nice and precise to use, but having not driven a modern machine (that I wouldn't want to own with all that electrickery, and probably couldn't afford to own with the potential dealers bills) I don't know how much better they would be.
        Even with my in-experience I still notice how much more difficult it is to do the same job with an old machine as a more modern!

But I fear modern machines will be a bit like the current agircultural tractors - great until out of warranty at 5 years, then un-realistic to own.

That sounds about on the nail there Luke - Love the drier story. Gonna be great getting a service agent out to 'em ....... when yer's moored off the Falklands eh?

PS
        If you want any of the original pix of the 450 stuff, I'll email 'em to you Boyo
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post

No, not a launderette owner!
          Sort of operator - when they break. Being on a ship we need some way to keep our clothes clean! The scientists get upset if we hang boiler suits over the back of the boat to wash them!
          And they sting like a base tart when you start sweating that salt into your skin :-)

I nearly brought home a pair of perfectly functional 25 year old Electrolux Wascator W75's, except they are 415, 3-phase.
          Hot fill is great when you have solar hot water too.

We still haven't got manuals for the new Electrolux's, and the drier is still putting itself back into Norweigan (I think).
          Must chase them again...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post

Sort of operator - when they break. Being on a ship we need some way to keep our clothes clean! The scientists get upset if we hang boiler suits over the back of the boat to wash them!
          And they sting like a base tart when you start sweating that salt into your skin :-)

I nearly brought home a pair of perfectly functional 25 year old Electrolux Wascator W75's, except they are 415, 3-phase.

We still haven't got manuals for the new Electrolux's, and the drier is still putting itself back into Norweigan (I think).
          Must chase them again...

Comment

Originally posted by longstroke View Post

Must chase them again...

- - - Updated - - -

Must chase them again...

'Net playing up mate????
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

When I sold one of my shops I was persuaded to keep one of the large 25 lb load IPSO machines so that the girl who kept her Clydesdale on our field could wash her horse blankets - so I installed it in my workshop. Well the horse is long gone (shot and fed the lions at Howletts zoo !) but the machine is still there - used it today to wash workshop overalls :) (I noticed today it was made in 1991 and still looking and working like new)

Not only are they 415v 3 phase, but 'gravity empty' - 2" dump valve underneath to get the water out fast to keep the cycle time short - hence having to be mounted on a 10" RSJ plinth.

Comment

Working...
              X