Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Longstroke

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd start off correctly, rather than forgetting to introduce myself!

I am a Marine Engineer in the Merchant Navy (no guns) and I work for BAS on a Polar Research and Supply Vessel.

Anyway, I've always been into machinery and have had a few different track machines and trucks, but currently some of the fleet are a Mitsubishi MS070 which needs some tlc, and an MF450 which is somewhat worse.
    Also have a Bombardier Muskeg for logging etc, a Peterbilt tractor unit I still in the process of getting plated, a tri-axle stepframe, 2 tucker sno-cats, Ford 8630, Kraz 6x6 etc.
    Gosh, there suddenly seem to be a lot when I type a list! None are mint, indeed some are very far from it!

Two young kids also fill my time at home, and we are currently building an extension with me doing all the easier bits I'm legally allowed to do.
    Being tight we have various eco bits like solar thermal, solar pv, log burners and boiler, pellet boiler, heat stores etc as sometimes spending a little more can save money in the long term.
    Much to the neighbours disgust (once I put it up and they see it!) I picked up a small 200W chinese wind turbine which is another little project to get round to.
    Am also extending the barn and as funding allows hope to get a pit and concrete in which will be bliss having been working on dusty/muddy floors in sloping lump sheds since getting into machinery at 13ish!

I love working with machinery, operating and maintaining, although my current job has taken me much more into paperwork.

Being away for 3 months at a time means time at home is all the more precious, especially with young kids, so I don't tend to post much, if at all, when at home. If its quieter when on the ship I try to post more, although we're just finishing a major refit and today is probably the last day of semi-peace before the last push starts on Monday which will go right through until whenever its all done, supposed to be by the 2nd Sept.

Regards
    Longstroke

Hi & welcome Do you get any internet connectivity aboard any BAS vessels ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hiya Luke,
      glad to see you got my link then. Yer's gonna like it here!
      You still in Orskov's yard then?
      'Bout time you finished that lil' job
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hi Muz,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes we do have internet, normally extremely limited (128kb/s) when at sea, although we are currently hooked in to a decent shore connection in refit.

Comment

Hi Longstroke , Welcome to the forum .The job sure isn't a run of the mill type of one .
          Massey 450 ,only seen one in the flesh. had a tilt on the top deck to level the machine if i remember correctly .

Comment

Originally posted by longstroke View Post
            Hi Muz,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes we do have internet, normally extremely limited (128kb/s) when at sea, although we are currently hooked in to a decent shore connection in refit.
            Well its better than nout .. bit of a mariner myself, have run 4 or 5 RIB's for the last 20 odd years .. You must have seen some amazing sights over the years, I know I have, just in the coastal waters off Scotlands west coast !
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
              Hi Longstroke , Welcome to the forum .The job sure isn't a run of the mill type of one .
              Massey 450 ,only seen one in the flesh. had a tilt on the top deck to level the machine if i remember correctly .
              450-1969.jpg

one I had a look at 'bout 2 years ago, local to me - got a full brochure for these scanned in somewhere

$(KGrHqVHJCEFBk+e6-gbBQfVguRl2Q~~60_58.jpg
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Mariner Muz - you seem to get around! Keeps it interesting doing all sorts.

IanOz - I haven't noticed the top deck (turntable/main body?) not being flat, but then I don't yet have flat concrete.

V8 - thanks for the link - I have arrived...!

I haven't got any pictures with me of the MF450, but I do know that the tracks historically come off for fun, which was a problem even when they were new.

The previous owner who has a lot of engineering nowse welded 'catchers' on at each end and side.

Sods law dictated that after pushing in a couple of gateposts (the only useful job I've done with it) I was tracking back to the yard and when turning the last corner to tuck it in a corner the track came off that was missing the catcher. Must weld it back on, although I'm in two minds whether to put time into it, or use it for parts to make a fast horizontal 4-6 way log splitter, as a Perky 6354 should get through some logs!

Just need to figure out valving to preferably have it latch in extend, and auto-return. Was then thinking of multiple rams to increase the max force - either one would drive 'pulling' the other 1 or 2 with it, and then when the pressure ramps up the idea was to have it then put oil into all three, tripling the splitting force.

Definitely a stand clear operation - fingers, or indeed limbs, to be kept well clear.

Then you need a wedge shaped splitting chamber to ensure that logs fall the the appropriate height to 2, 4 or 6 way splitting, bit worried that some would get turned over if they had one end thicker that the other.

Better get round to sharpening my pencil and jot down some more ideas!

Comment

Log splitters are a pet hobby round here loads of posts and pics of various home built excercises red neck stylee

Comment

My MF450 doesn't look like the one in V8's picture - I think 30 years in Devon has eliminated all but traces of the original tinwork!

Strangely, it doesn't leak anything, and all functions work, albeit a little stiff due to the mechanical linkage to the valve blocks being exposed.
                    Its been left for years at a time previously, onetime half underwater on its side. Apparently a few years later in a dru summer the PO thought it was worth a try and managed to get it out from where it had slid down into a ditch, after getting the track back on at a horrible angle!

I can't see any sign of the variable flow/power option that I found mentioned on the net, although perhaps that was a later development.

Can't see anyone being interested in it for anything but spares really.

Comment

My MF450 doesn't look like the one in V8's picture - I think 30 years in Devon has eliminated all but traces of the original tinwork!

Strangely, it doesn't leak anything, and all functions work, albeit a little stiff due to the mechanical linkage to the valve blocks being exposed.
                      Its been left for years at a time previously, onetime half underwater on its side. Apparently a few years later in a dru summer the PO thought it was worth a try and managed to get it out from where it had slid down into a ditch, after getting the track back on at a horrible angle!

I can't see any sign of the variable flow/power option that I found mentioned on the net, although perhaps that was a later development.

Hi Mate,

What a lovely old machine, rather be working on one of those than plugging the lap top in the the ECU's !!!

Welcome

Mick

Comment

just to possibly enthuse any restorative spirit you might have Luke ...

ind_mf450_01_01.jpg ind_mf450_01_02.jpg

ind_mf450_01_03.jpg ind_mf450_01_04.jpg

ind_mf450_01_05.jpg ind_mf450_01_06.jpg

ind_mf450_01_07.jpg

Comment

ind_mf450_03_01.jpg ind_mf450_03_02.jpg
                          ind_mf450_03_03.jpg ind_mf450_03_04.jpg

mf450001.jpg mf450002.jpg

mf450003.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            Log splitters are a pet hobby round here loads of posts and pics of various home built excercises red neck stylee
                            Excellent - there are some really good ideas but I've yet to see one which is exactly what I'd like to build!
                            Look forward to digging into the splitter threads!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick-the-fitter View Post
                              Hi Mate,

What a lovely old machine, rather be working on one of those than plugging the lap top in the the ECU's !!!

Welcome

Mick
                              HaHa - Mine looks a little different to V8Druid's pics!

It makes jobs hard work when every single bolt is rusted solid and wants to shear. If you've got all the gear and a good stock of materials then it isn't too bad as you can just cut stuff and replace when rebuilding.
                              It's when you're desperate not to wreck anything as it would be a pain to replace that it can be frustrating.

Totally agree about Laptop's and machines with brains, or 5 - every thing has them nowadays!

We've just fitted 6 new washers and driers, heavy duty Electrolux commercial machines, to replace 25 year old fully mechanical predecessors that are original fit.
                              The old ones took some abuse and occasionally a timer or bearing needs replacing, but in 25 years I don't think an actual motor, mech sequencer, drum etc actually failed. Just normal service parts.

In come the new ones and within 10 days of light use, as we don't have half the number of people aboard that we do for Science cruises, a drier has thrown up a fault code, and says call a service engineer.
                              I've already requested a set of manual, not the 15 pages of 'Operator Instruction Manual' in at least 6 languages, but the manufacturer doesn't want to supply them it would seem.
                              Therefore we have no idea what code 1215 means, apart from that when you put your damp undies in and press go nothing happens.

The only reason they were replaced was due to someone insisting that they were decrepit and about to fail. The only bit that was about to fail was the drier - because that same person had neglected to carry out the standard, 25 year established 2-monthly open and clean out of fluff.
                              And they love things that you can plug laptops into, perhaps as they can do that sitting down.
                              Of course, as we don't have the makers software, access codes etc, they won't be able to do it anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X