Gardens and yard thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardens and yard thread.

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us that enjoy gardening and working in the yard. Since there are several of us on this forum that live in different parts of the world with varying climates this could be an interesting thread. I sadly don't have a garden this year as we just moved from the Province of Manitoba to Alberta this summer we didn't have much of a chance to plant anything. So I'll post some pictures from our last place starting with me breaking ground on a lumpy yard and all the heavy work that went with it.
    When we moved in four years ago the yard was very weedy and lumpy as at one time it had been one huge vegetable garden and as the previous owner aged she couldn't take care of it finally she went in to a home and the house passed through several tenants and owners before we started renting it and we started giving it some much needed love. One of the first things I did other than mow the grass...er weeds was I got agricultural grade Roundup from my father in law and sprayed it two or three times to kill everything off. I tried busting sod with my friends tiller but it was much to light duty and only scratched the surface, by this time it was late fall and I had already started construction on a small pond that I dug by hand and installed a rubber liner after ripping out the stump from a mostly dead shrub with the winch on my quad. Once spring came I rented a larger rear tine tiller and busted sod on the large rear section of the back yard which went much better but I did manage to smoke the belts on the tiller a couple times....oops!
    Attached Files

I also managed to get hold of several wheelbarrow loads of saw dust as our neighbor had cut down a lovely row (village idiot) of Chinese Elm that shaded our house and driveway so nicely. I used the sawdust for the footpath's in the garden. I had also sorted a large amount of rocks enough to fill a couple five gallon pails that I later used to line the pond. Also at about this time I finished raking and levelling the back part of the yard and seeded new grass.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well I'll keep adding pictures as I find them. Hey Muz is there any way you can change things so I can upload more than three pictures at a time?

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
        Well I'll keep adding pictures as I find them. Hey Muz is there any way you can change things so I can upload more than three pictures at a time?
        Just keep uploading and adding to the management window is what I do Bert - it was one at a time after the last upgrade, 'til Muz upped it to three, on request.

Looks like three might not be enough after all Muz?
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

I also managed to get hold of several wheelbarrow loads of saw dust as our neighbor had cut down a lovely row (village idiot) of Chinese Elm that shaded our house and driveway so nicely. I used the sawdust for the footpath's in the garden. I had also sorted a large amount of rocks enough to fill a couple five gallon pails that I later used to line the pond. Also at about this time I finished raking and levelling the back part of the yard and seeded new grass.

Well that looked different Bert - lot of work gone in there - need a 'Drema for turning some of that over

WP_20150504_13_07_22_Pro.jpg
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            Well that looked different Bert - lot of work gone in there - need a 'Drema for turning some of that over

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2801[/ATTACH]

Utter overkill in anyones book .............. EXCEPT a plantman
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Utter overkill in anyones book .............. EXCEPT a plantman
              Yeh ...................... could've done with a smaller bucket

WP_20150504_13_30_40_Pro.jpg

Comment

Its set that way to reduce server load Bert .. which keeps the forum running faster with quicker page loads etc ... Seems speedy enough at my end .. if I up it to 5 and things slow up it might have to go back .. so .. hold on to your butts .. I'll go and twiddle some knobs
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Its set that way to reduce server load Bert .. which keeps the forum running faster with quicker page loads etc ... Seems speedy enough at my end .. if I up it to 5 and things slow up it might have to go back .. so .. hold on to your butts .. I'll go and twiddle some knobs
                  Wondered why the upload suddenly stopped on't last one - Muz twiddling!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok lets not fook about ... Ive made it 6 ... see how that goes dude ?

Comment

Ok lets not fook about ... Ive made it 6 ... see how that goes dude ?
                      Don't get carried away now Boss

Comment

Aye thanks Muz I'll try it out. I wouldn't of minded having a compact diesel tractor for breaking ground when I did all that work, one with a tiller implement and a box blade with a front end loader would of worked just perfect for me and a Kubota KX-008 for the pond. However my yellow handled and red handled shovels, pick with mattock end, heavy rake, 36" landscaping rake, and leaf rake, and don't forget the wheelbarrow worked just fine.

On a side note I guess it didn't work I tried uploading but I guess it timed out?

Comment

On a side note I guess it didn't work I tried uploading but I guess it timed out?
                          No it just takes longer for the forum to resize lots of pics

Comment

Every iphone or Galaxy pic is like 2 -4 megs in size ... if we hosted all the pix of that size we'd need a massive server area to store them .. so the forum auto magically resizes them when you upload .. but it takes it a minute .. it gets them down to about 100kb without much loss of quality , but they are much smaller .. but they look the same size on a PC or Lappy or tablet etc

Comment

Well I'll try some flower pictures I'll just do the normal three pictures from here on in, could also be my internet connection to.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X