Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 8 tonner to buy

Hi all.

We are looking for some advice on which machine to buy and I thought I would start the researh by logging in here to see if anyone has any advice. Our Takeuchi TB135 (3.5T) has been doing overtime over the last 2 years and whilst it just about does most of the bigger tasks we ask of it, we are going to break it if we carry on at this rate! When the Takeuchi is simply too small for the task, we nomally hire a 7 tonner or similar and this usually does most of the remaining tasks around an established site. So the plan is to buy an 8 tone machine to compliment the Takeuchi (itself an excellent machine in our view) and speed things up a bit/expand our scope.

We are fundamentally a building contractor and our projects range from large extensions/alterations, often requiring significant soil reduction schemes, to complete newbuilds (some being multi unit developments). As such, we get involved in root/stump removal, drives, large new site drainage schemes etc. We spent far too much hiring plant last year and buying an 8 tonner seems like the sensible thing to do.

As we normally work in close proximity to buildings, zero tail swing is essential as is a swing boom and dozer blade for levelling/backfill. So the obvious contenders are the Takeuchi TB280FR, CAT 308D CRSB or Kubota KX080.

If you have experience of any of these machines or something better, we would apreciate your feedback.

Welcome to the Forum ,
    To me there is no straight forward answer.
    Comes down to Dealer support and if you like the machine and it suits your needs .
    I have had an IHI 75F I liked operating it But it did give problems with Hydraulic pumps, {2 rebuilds in under 5000 hours .
    I have a JCB 8080 The list of problems is Looong and Expensive . Parts and service{Mainly because i am so far away from them } by the dealers here is expensive .It is a nice machine to operate ,But there is always something going wrong .
    I bought a Hitachi Zaxis 85. Loved operating it .Had an oil leak at the start , which was a fault in the centre joint casting .Fitters came and located the problem . Returned on a sunday and replaced it .
    The switch for the Quick hitch broke Nine dollars later a new switch in .
    Only other problem was the starter lost power , found a wire near the battery had carroded inside the crimped fitting , replaced the fitting and away it went .
    Anyway ,it is mostly operator preferance .What one will love ,another will hate .
    My son and myself help another guy out , he runs Komatsu 22 ton excavators .I like operating them , My son doesn't like them .
    As far as the machines on your list go ,Only one i have had anything to do with is a Cat 8 tonner .Had to cart away concrete from a house . Owner Hired the machine , ripped up the concrete .After watching him struggle to pick up lumps and get them into the truck ,I offered to load it for him .Also dug out a tree he was not game to do and tidyed the site up .My preferance , No i would not own one .
    I am sure Muz will sing the praises for Kabota and with out being on either it or a Tak , Kabota would probably be my pick.

Comment

I think the Takeeoochies are good machines . Ive never fancied one of those offset boom ones though due to all the tackle involved. Might suit an end user better than a hirer though as we get our kit knocked about a bit. As Ian was saying, good backup is always a good idea, not to mention getting something that has good resale value. Takeoooooochi dealers have never enjoyed the level of support other manufacturers seem to have, but saying that, they are reliable enough so you wont need to phone the dealer very often. For all those reasons I do favour Kubota, Ive still got 2 KX080's in my fleet, that were one of the first purchased in Scotland, they have about 4500 hours on them, so not the hardest worked, but they feel/dig like a machine half their age at the moment and apart from a rotten exhaust box, due to weathering and one that had a dodgy pump when new, Ive never thrown a spanner at them, and I can tell you they have taken dogs abuse from some clients. Last time I looked the Takeee's were very expensive too, if thats the case, your gonna set fire to a shed load of ££'s as the resales will even out over time .. HTH
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz/Ian. Our TB135 has only ever had a few hoses replaced in about 10 years since new - I think that's quite incredible. Admitedly, we have looked after it (never been hired out) but it's been a great machine and for this reason alone Takeuchi is high on the list. Like you though Muz, I have concerns about the reliability/strength of the adjustable offset boom on Takeuchi's FR range so if anyone can put my mind at rest on this (or otherwise), please speak up! So what's wrong with the CAT's then?

Comment

Been a while since I tried a CAT ... like Ian said .. it comes down to operator taste at the end of the day .... it can be as simple as that. Cant remember the CAT model ... think it was a 307 ? but it had the double speed travel swapped with the dozer lever function and you couldnt use one or the other IIRC .. absolute shite who ever designed that never operated a digger in all there days ?

What it did do very well was travel .. its undercarriage was like a magic carpet and very smooth to run on best Id ever seen
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I would have to agree with the lads in regards to the Hitachi and the Kabouta. I have operated the majority of yokes and as a #3 I say a Yanmar and for #4 a Hyundai followed closely by a Volvo.
            The Yanmar will dig the same as a 10tonner roomy cab which I need and the levers don't hit my belly while being used like the Kommie....... a machine I would put a head of the JCB.....................
            A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Thanks Stock, I'll look at Hitachi's offering. So Kabota is now definitely on the short list - a mate of mine recommends them too. There must however be a few people on this forum who have something to contribute regarding Takeuchi's offset boom system. Can anyone tell me if it is reliable or not. Does it get ever get full of muck and need cleaning out for example. Some of you must have used one!

Comment

Going to see one of them FR Takeuchi's next week. Got a Hitachi (see Stock, I'm listening) to look at this weekend too. Oh and to keep Muz happy I booked in a Kubota demo for next week too. Aparently, if you drive a Takeuci between two buildings with 6" on both sides, you can pick up a bucket of muck on one side, swing 180 and dump it on the other - now that's impressive in an 8 tonner ain't it!!! Anyway, open minded on em all at the moment. Finance in the order of a couple of percent too at the moment - handy cos I'm going to need it if we go ahead!!! I'll let you know how things stack up.

Comment

Dont bother about keeping me happy !!! Just you pull some levers and see what suits you .. I guess the main thing about the zero tail units for me is the compromise of performance when lifting, and unless the undercarriage is big enough .. 'nodding' whilst grading at full reach. Also when I ran an ECR88 it was really sore on tracks due to the point load on the idlers or sprockets when working at reach, because, you always needed the damn thing in line whilst working at reach due to its poor balance. The boom on that thing was massive and really heavy, and it felt like it. A full bucket of muck at much over mid way way and it would just coup over.. to me that is no good compromise for having a zero tail. I know the FR's are more than that, and the concept is quite cool.... I wouldnt like to have to do any spanner work on one though ... I think you would need the hands of a midwife to work on it ... I actually dont know of amyone thats got one either ? ... be interested to hear how you get on I hope when you say 'see' an FR it means you get the chance to throw it about, and not just look at it !

I never mentioned, but Ive run Hatachi EX 60's and 135's too .. and cant fault them really, lack of offset was the 60's problem, but thats going back a bit .. most newer ones have it now.

Comment

Working...
                  X