Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for 1st day as a Dumper Driver ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for 1st day as a Dumper Driver ?

Hi all, been driving lorries and going in and out of sites for years, but not long did my tele & fwd dumper and got a start 2moz on dumper.

Just hoping someone has any inside tips of pitfalls to be avoided etc and general first day advice.

Thanks James

I would say take your time and don't try to be a hero

Comment

Originally posted by jamesd1981 View Post
      Hi all, been driving lorries and going in and out of sites for years, but not long did my tele & fwd dumper and got a start 2moz on dumper.

Just hoping someone has any inside tips of pitfalls to be avoided etc and general first day advice.

Thanks James
      what sort of dumper are you driving? Always wear the seat belt when moving, always leave the seat when being loaded!

Mick

Comment

Thanks Digger & Mick

Comment

So how's it going now your a month in ?
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Was wondering the same thing Myself .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
              Was wondering the same thing Myself .
              Plus one here too Ian
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Late reply

Sorry to all that responded for the late reply, the dumper contract went fine only lasted 4 days of 12 hour shifts was reinstatement of a railway bank.

Learned a few tricks not taught in training, like tipping upwards on a steep hill requires handbrake & held on footbrake while giving full revs and snapping the tipper lever back and forward as well as side to side to fully empty the bucket.

Shortly after that contract finished I moved on to a telehandler contract which I am still currently on, although can`t have long to go place is just about finished, hated this contract when I first started it is a pretty tight site with far to much machinery and goods in very little space, 4 telehandlers alone.

But being flung in at the deep end has stood me in good stead in the long run, just had to be careful and learn quickly, the company I am working for are doing the glazing so also ended up with probably most delicate telehandler job on site moving & offloading god knows how many arctic loads of glass, plus metal frames which come in massive 6 meter long stillages, then the fitting of the glass gets done by using a sucker attachment on the forks.

Comment

Definitely in the deep end with the glass job. Everything after should be a bit easier. All the tricks of the trade I've mastered over the years, I take for granted. Forgetting fresh lads have to start from scratch. Best way is watching other operators, and hopefully they know what they are doing.
                  Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely in the deep end with the glass job. Everything after should be a bit easier. All the tricks of the trade I've mastered over the years, I take for granted. Forgetting fresh lads have to start from scratch. Best way is watching other operators, and hopefully they know what they are doing.
                  Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely in the deep end with the glass job. Everything after should be a bit easier. All the tricks of the trade I've mastered over the years, I take for granted. Forgetting fresh lads have
                  Last edited by diggerjones; 01-07-2016, 05:07 PM. Reason: I

Comment

Originally posted by diggerjones View Post
                    Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely in the deep end with the glass job. Everything after should be a bit easier. All the tricks of the trade I've mastered over the years, I take for granted. Forgetting fresh lads have

WTF happened here Dylan ???? ..... I got 6 notifications!! ....... cat sat on the enter button on the lap top?
                    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

this bloody tablet. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by diggerjones View Post
                        this bloody tablet. Sorry
                        No probs Dylan ........ just couldn't see why

Comment

[QUOTE=diggerjones;17754]Definitely in the deep end with the glass job. Everything after should be a bit easier. All the tricks of the trade I've mastered over the years, I take for granted. Forgetting fresh lads have to start from scratch. Best way is watching other operators, and hopefully they know what they are doing.
                          Good luck.

Don`t know about watching most of the other guys on this site digger, only 1 of the other telehandlers is worth watching, the brickies telehandlers - 1st guy got sacked for crushing a load of metal fencing that was protecting a live cable & chose to do right as the site manager was only 2 feet away so he got sacked on the spot, now the replacement guy is a death waiting to happen, has hit countless things including 2 panes of our glass which lucky for him were 2 defective panes anyway, so as usual luck got him off with it, he drives far to fast around the site, uses his phone will driving & operating.

Comment

Working...
                          X