Injector pump leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector pump leak

I have a CAT 302.5 which i purchased a few months back but have hardly used as yet. (Plenty to do when the weather gets better and the ground dries out a bit)
    Problem is, I have noticed a pretty bad leak at the injector pump housing. I have a lad coming round to have a look at it at the weekend, any one got any experience of this? What are the chances of it being a straight forward (and cheap) set of seals? or am I looking at an expensive rebuild/ replacement?

cheers

If the engine runs fine the leak probably wont be from the high pressure side, its more likely to be the leak off side which is a line that runs back to the tank, have a look at the hose that carries that line to make sure it isnt perished and that it is clamped properly
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      If the engine runs fine the leak probably wont be from the high pressure side, its more likely to be the leak off side which is a line that runs back to the tank, have a look at the hose that carries that line to make sure it isnt perished and that it is clamped properly
      Cheers Muz, All the hoses seem fine so it looks like it is a problem with the pump/seals. Apparently this can be a pig of a job as the timing is all combined within the pump housing, so it needs someone who is clued up to rebuild it, without there being ongoing problems.

Because I know nothing about the history of the machine, I don't know how long it had been running with a problem, so I will be getting a full health check done on it to make sure it will be fit for work. Then it is up to me and my maintenance programme!

Comment

Originally posted by Northerncrofter View Post
        Cheers Muz, All the hoses seem fine so it looks like it is a problem with the pump/seals. Apparently this can be a pig of a job as the timing is all combined within the pump housing, so it needs someone who is clued up to rebuild it, without there being ongoing problems.

Because I know nothing about the history of the machine, I don't know how long it had been running with a problem, so I will be getting a full health check done on it to make sure it will be fit for work. Then it is up to me and my maintenance programme!
        Can you dry it off and see where it's coming from ? Pumps are usually timed by gears to the engine but not all are, some Mitsubishi engines for example use a cam shaft to drive plungers in the pump so you can lift it out strip it and replace without issue
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
        X