volvo ec15b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volvo ec15b

hi ive recently bought a digger . it ran fine for a while. but now the revs drop and engine runs rough, when using hydraulics. i thought it might be the fuel pump. i replaced this and it ran fine for 3 hours , but it has started with same problem . any advice or ideas as i know nothing about diggers .
    cheers

Originally posted by bones View Post
    hi ive recently bought a digger . it ran fine for a while. but now the revs drop and engine runs rough, when using hydraulics. i thought it might be the fuel pump. i replaced this and it ran fine for 3 hours , but it has started with same problem . any advice or ideas as i know nothing about diggers .
    cheers
    I assume you mean the electric lift pump ?... have you changed the filters and checked for a flow at the injection pump by pulling the pipe off ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

volvo ec15b

hi muz yes i have changed all the filters and oils , but have not pulled pipe off injector pump. i will check this in the morning as it is pissing it down at the moment .but new lift pump is pumping fuel into clear filter although it is only one third full. not sure if this normal? thanks for reply.

Comment

hi muz yes i have changed all the filters and oils , but have not pulled pipe off injector pump. i will check this in the morning as it is pissing it down at the moment .but new lift pump is pumping fuel into clear filter although it is only one third full. not sure if this normal? thanks for reply.
        Normally you'd expect the filter to fill up .. some have bleed screws on them, if so .. close them, and take the pipe off where it enters the injection pump and fuel should pulse out of it a good half inch at a time after filling the filter .. if it doesent, youve a fuel restriction somewhere else like a kinked pipe or a blockage back at the tank, or its drawing air 'BEFORE' the lift pump. Earlier EC15's had a gauze on the suction pipe inside the tank .. its easy enough to get them out, there's a ring of 7mm hex bolts holds the 3 piece pipe assembly into the top of the tank, lift it out and inspect it .. be careful as you do as the fuel guage sender and float comes out at the same time
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

volvo ec15b

thanks for the info i will check in the morning and let you know the results cheers.

Comment

thanks for the info i will check in the morning and let you know the results cheers.
            Please do many dont... which really defeats the aim of us existing

Comment

volvo ec15b

hi muz checked inside the fuel tank. no gauze on end of pipe. pipe seems in good condition ,removed it ,blocked the end and blew in pipe .
              seems fine and about the right length to reach the bottom of tank. there are two filters after the lift pump one with bleed screws and then a disposable see-through filter. this is the one that only fills to about a third. the end of the pipe to the injector pump looked dodgy so removed end . been running most of day with no problem . hopefully thats the end of it
              cheers

Comment

Good ! thanks for letting us know. Mostly filters will run full but I have seen those small ones run half full too with no problems

Comment

vovlo ec15b

i have got the same problem as before with the revs dropping and engine running rough when i use any of the hydraulic controls . there does not seem to be fuel problem. get good flow from feed pipe to injector pump . any ideas or advice thanks again

Comment

It might be drawing air into a fuel line somewhere .. get a fresh bit of pipe and run it from the electric lift pump straight into the fuel tank through the filler neck and try running it again for a while .. that eliminates all the plastic malarky on the top of the tank. Cant remember if youve done it or not, but normally I'd replace all the fuel lines anyway because they get hard and dont seal properly at that age. From your original description it could also be something loading the engine ... does it smoke a lot when it does this ?

Comment

volvo ec15b

thanks for the reply mate . i will get some new fuel lines tomorrow. get a puff of grey smoke but thats all. i will let you know the results tomorrow night . cheers

Comment

thanks for the reply mate . i will get some new fuel lines tomorrow. get a puff of grey smoke but thats all. i will let you know the results tomorrow night . cheers
                        Well black smoke would suggest engine labour .. white is a fuel or compression issue .... If someone has rolled your digger .. it might have 'run' a big end hopefully not .. as always we try the simple stuff first

Comment

volvo ec15b

replaced all fuel pipes . did as you suggested and ran a pipe direct to the fuel tank. there seemed to be a better flow to the disposable filter. ran machine seemed ok but will run for longer tomorrow . do not think there a engine problem . as when running it revs fine and no smoke !
                          will let you know tomorrow. cheers

Comment

volvo ec15b

ran digger tonight for 2.5hrs no problems.with a pipe direct to the fuel tank via the filler neck.the problem must be the the plastic fittings for the fuel lines, will run as is for a few days to make sure. hopefully all will be ok!!!!!! thanks for the help with this. also hope this helps others . cheers

Comment

Good to hear you got it sorted .

Comment

Working...
                              X