No announcement yet.

Ukjays International 620 Digger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then after everything cooled and tested - I then set out to complete the fabrication of the cross brace over the top plate:

20160828_180737.jpg 20160828_180744.jpg

After fabrication finished and cooled down - put everything back together to check for movement, all looks good thus far.

Now, I have purposely left the the chassis connection braces to last, as this is what I will have to tack up and make certain everything is square and true, patch weld to reduce movement of the motor housing etc. I will therefore update the thread with final results once everything is up and running.

Hope you enjoy!!

Kind regards

Jay
    Last edited by Ukjay; 28-08-2016, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• I got competition

A1 Boyo .... looks the bollox .... sod all wrong with MIG and soooooo much faster .... I'd kill to be able to use one .. frequently ... like today !!

too breezy here 99% of the time .... blows the gas shield away. Shed required !!

Hardly ever used stick in my old workshop for prob.s 20+ odd years. With MIGs from 600 amp downwards it was always MIG. Used to average 75 to 90 kgs of wire consumption a week, when busy .... had to be pretty dire or desperate to resort to dragging a stick set out the corner.

All looks fine .... I'd back your wire feed speed down a little ..... will give you a smoother, more organic looking fillet....(like it grew there) and even better penetration

Are you going to cap the ends of the bridge? will reduce any torsional distortion in the box section.

Considering the paltry job that this has survived on for many years, it's going to be 'el solido' and some

keep up the good work that man
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        I got competition

A1 Boyo .... looks the bollox .... sod all wrong with MIG and soooooo much faster .... I'd kill to be able to use one .. frequently ... like today !!

too breezy here 99% of the time .... blows the gas shield away. Shed required !!

Hardly ever used stick in my old workshop for prob.s 20+ odd years. With MIGs from 600 amp downwards it was always MIG. Used to average 75 to 90 kgs of wire consumption a week, when busy .... had to be pretty dire or desperate to resort to dragging a stick set out the corner.

All looks fine .... I'd back your wire feed speed down a little ..... will give you a smoother, more organic looking fillet....(like it grew there) and even better penetration

Are you going to cap the ends of the bridge? will reduce any torsional distortion in the box section.

Considering the paltry job that this has survived on for many years, it's going to be 'el solido' and some

keep up the good work that man
        Hi Graham,

Thank you for the kind words, it is very much appreciated!!

The open ends of the bridge will be definitely be capped without question - my OCD would not allow myself to leave that open

Thanks for the note about feed speed, I had a massive issue with the wind blowing today too - I cobbled up some fire blankets to help shield the gas from blowing as much as I could, had to try numerous settings with the gas / reel feed etc, but I could not get it dialled in as I would have likes, hence the spatter today unfortunately

Also - I ran out of gas at one point, so had to cut, grind and re-do a join once new bottle fitted

Oh - and as for competition, my skill level is far from what you are able to achieve!!

Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by Ukjay View Post
          Hi Graham,

Thank you for the kind words, it is very much appreciated!!

The open ends of the bridge will be definitely be capped without question - my OCD would not allow myself to leave that open

Thanks for the note about feed speed, I had a massive issue with the wind blowing today too - I cobbled up some fire blankets to help shield the gas from blowing as much as I could, had to try numerous settings with the gas / reel feed etc, but I could not get it dialled in as I would have likes, hence the spatter today unfortunately

Also - I ran out of gas at one point, so had to cut, grind and re-do a join once new bottle fitted

Oh - and as for competition, my skill level is far from what you are able to achieve!!

Jay
          Credit where due Boyo .... tidy work.

The wind is a complete FPITA ..... as is porosity ..... grinding it all back out is so time consuming and hard work ... don't be tempted down the flux cored route .... the devils work .... hate the stuff and just don't get the same quality of weld.

Similarly don't be tempted to wind the gas pressure up either .... 6-8 PSI is more than enough ... much more and your chilling your weld ..... less even if you're using a torch smaller than a 250A with a little shroud (less than an inch). Should be just enough pressure in a still atmosphere to shield the weld and have no porosity evident .... much more is a waste of gas and a lot more will, as I say, affect the weld quality

You ain't the only one who got pee-ed on several times today either mate ...... was bloody bouncing a few times today

been having a go at me flail repairs this afters ..... gonna need it shortly ..... so the boss keeps informing me
          Oh and thank you for your kind words too
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Why don't you just put some ducks into the pit - they will look nice whilst you get on with your other jobs, plus you can eat em when the weather is fine and the pond dries up

Comment

don't be tempted down the flux cored route .... the devils work .... hate the stuff and just don't get the same quality of weld.
              Never tried it and never will. I have never been one for the Potions and Lotions to improve anything - for me, a bit of research and lots of practice makes for a reasonable end result. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say - perseverance will yield better results in time!!

Comment

• Small update Folks - didn't get much done today, as the frikin wind put pay to further progress - it must have had some of Graham's Welsh Gales over ere today, which hindered the welding somewhat

Anyhoo, managed to get the side brace / support fitted, along with testing the rotation of the excavator under load (fingers were crossed there was not loud bag):

Scribed, Cut and Offered up the brace. I used the natural angle of the chassis as a butt support:

20160829_135714.jpg

Then once happy with the fit, I then cleaned all surfaces, including removing the paint from the chassis:

20160829_135532.jpg

The sum total of today's work:

20160829_165919.jpg 20160829_165847.jpg 20160829_165856.jpg front view.jpg

Just got to get my Arc Welder sorted, then I can complete the fabrication and add the final support brace to the boom ram fixing plate to ensure no movement caused by the motor twisting to turn the excavator.

Filled up hydraulic fluid and took Rusty through the motions - 'She's Alive'. Turned back off as I do not want to strain the structure as it is only supported one side currently.

Jay

Comment

• NICE !!

Comment

• Thanks Graham,

Just researching new welders to see what will serve me well, as to get it finished I need 'ye ole stick' as the wind is too temperamental on younder hill.

Jay

Comment

• Ahhh .. the Mig converts have tried to convert me.... but ... Ive got enough shitting gas bottles about .. and I can weld a car exhaust with a stick ... and if its really fine.... I go to gas .. who needs a MIG .. eh Graham ?

Nice work UK btw .. better get your bracing sorted though ...do what the manufacturer failed to do
                      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Ukjay View Post
                        Thanks Graham,

Just researching new welders to see what will serve me well, as to get it finished I need 'ye ole stick' as the wind is too temperamental on younder hill.

Jay
                        here you go mate ..... bought one for my BIL two years ago and he loves it ...... Thermodyne's version of the Esab Caddy I use .... bloody brilliant lil' bit of kit ..... 3.25mm (10swg) all day 100% duty cycle ... 4mms (8swg) 60% duty, but have never had the Esab cut out on me.
                        runs off a 13A plug .... IIRC draws 8-9 amps on 3.25s at 120 A and light enough to hang on yer shoulder up a ladder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THERMAL-AR...9k65_k07ydH62w

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Ahhh .. the Mig converts have tried to convert me.... but ... Ive got enough shitting gas bottles about .. and I can weld a car exhaust with a stick ... and if its really fine.... I go to gas .. who needs a MIG .. eh Graham ?

Nice work UK btw .. better get your bracing sorted though ...do what the manufacturer failed to do
                          I'll give you a shout next time I've a canal boat to weld up Muz .... have done 'em old skool with stick and MIG ..... know what you'd be begging for after a day's welding

DCP_0004.jpg

or banging some o' these together ....

DCP_0999.jpg DCP_1000.jpg DCP_0995.jpg DCP_0997.jpg

take a day or two with the stick ..... and totally noncompetitive

or perhaps a week or two with the sticks on this
                          DCP_3773.jpg DCP_3783.jpg DCP_3806.jpg DCP_3789.jpg DCP_3795.jpg DCP_3796.jpg

most expensive piece of steel I ever bought ... damned near 4 grand, 16.5 metres and 4500kgs .... there was some careful measuring 'fore I put the saw into that I can tell you

DCP_3748.jpg DCP_3750.jpg DCP_3757.jpg DCP_3758.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            Ahhh .. the Mig converts have tried to convert me.... but ... Ive got enough shitting gas bottles about .. and I can weld a car exhaust with a stick ... and if its really fine.... I go to gas .. who needs a MIG .. eh Graham ?
                            Personally I feel each tool has it's merits, as each can help get you out the shite. I have only used gas welding for lead work though, so not really a lot of experience for other materials.

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            Thanks Muz - but what bracing are you referring to, the part I am still left to do or another area?

Jay

Comment

here you go mate ..... bought one for my BIL two years ago and he loves it ...... Thermodyne's version of the Esab Caddy I use .... bloody brilliant lil' bit of kit ..... 3.25mm (10swg) all day 100% duty cycle ... 4mms (8swg) 60% duty, but have never had the Esab cut out on me.
                              runs off a 13A plug .... IIRC draws 8-9 amps on 3.25s at 120 A and light enough to hang on yer shoulder up a ladder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THERMAL-AR...9k65_k07ydH62w
                              Funnily enough, I have just been reading up about the Thermal Arc Inverters Graham, as well as the parweld xti range. Both have some good feedback, but I have personally not seen one in use, so was cautious of the lower end inverters in case they were cheap Chinese units.

Good to know they are comfortable welding for a reasonable time without cutting out.

Jay

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3301[/ATTACH]

most expensive piece of steel I ever bought ... damned near 4 grand, 16.5 metres and 4500kgs .... there was some careful measuring 'fore I put the saw into that I can tell you

What were you fabricating there Graham, coz that is some lump of steel?

Comment

Working...
                                X