Ukjays International 620 Digger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ukjay View Post
    What were you fabricating there Graham, coz that is some lump of steel?
    sorry Jay ..... missed this ... yeh it was a hell of a lump .... IIRC I had about a 400mm off cut ..... which was more than enough at the price of it. I think from memory it was pushing 300kgs per metre

believe it or not that is a portal for a roof of a house ...... a big house .... a big timber framed house .... that the architect made a **** up on when he forgot to include any structural supports in the centre of the building.

so this supported the entire roof in one span from the outer walls.

Used to do a hell of a lot of steel work for a big timber frame outfit, mostly roof steel work, as it gave usable attic space instead of a loft full of trusses ........ have no idea just how many portals, semi portals and cranked rafters we made for them over the years, but could well run into thousands !!

they also did a lot of doctor's surgeries and a few care homes which had large open areas which also needed a fair amount of steel work in the form of 'goal-post' like structures ..... big ones , plus of course nice big open plan attics.
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

What were you fabricating there Graham, coz that is some lump of steel?
      How's the repair going Jay??????

Can't be any worse than me ATM ..... broke mine! .... or to be more precise ..... it ain't as co-operative as it usually is
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        How's the repair going Jay??????

Can't be any worse than me ATM ..... broke mine! .... or to be more precise ..... it ain't as co-operative as it usually is
        Hi Graham,

I have not been able to finish it yet, the weather held me back - plus whilst looking to buy the new happy stick machine, I was given an old 180amp Oxford Bantam that was FOC as it needs new lines, so obviously I accepted.
        I know the're no inverter, but they have stood the test of time, run all day and not trip the overload, plus - it saved me £££'s

Just got to order the new leads and some hot sticks, then I can crack on and get Rusty Bullet finished.

I have also been reading your dilemma on the other site who won't let me join (or should I say Post), - pita one woukd assume, so hope you get sorted soon. Your knowledge is amazing though, so cudos on how far you have got thus far.

Jay

Comment

I was given an old 180amp Oxford Bantam that was FOC as it needs new lines, so obviously I accepted.
          I know the're no inverter, but they have stood the test of time, run all day and not trip the overload, plus - it saved me £££'s
          Just put a new double thickness cutting edge on an 8 tonner 1.8m ditching bucket with mine today great wee welder
          IMG_0416.jpg
          Input cable was coiled and got a bit warm though
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Graham,

I have not been able to finish it yet, the weather held me back - plus whilst looking to buy the new happy stick machine, I was given an old 180amp Oxford Bantam that was FOC as it needs new lines, so obviously I accepted.

Just got to order the new leads and some hot sticks, then I can crack on and get Rusty Bullet finished.

I have also been reading your dilemma on the other site who won't let me join (or should I say Post), - pita one woukd assume, so hope you get sorted soon. Your knowledge is amazing though, so cudos on how far you have got thus far.

Jay
            You're too kind Boyo ..... always been a great believer in sorting it yerself ... all you need most of the time is the knowledge to do so ... attitude's always been .... someone, somewhere made it ..... therefore it should be sortable!! This 'un's stretched the old grey matter a bit though

the welder's a great tool and will last you forever .... treated right

'the other channel' is a bit of a PITA if you're trying to get on there ..... patience is a virtue .... as you've probably sussed

Originally posted by Muz View Post
            Just put a new double thickness cutting edge on an 8 tonner 1.8m ditching bucket with mine today great wee welder
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3312[/ATTACH]
            Least you didn't have it burst into flames Muz .... seen that before now .... inducted heat is ... or can be phenomenal

Good sets the Oxfords/Cytringens (re-badged Oxfords) ...... had a few of them in me time, I can tell yer

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]3312[/ATTACH]
              You got an Oxford then Muz?

Comment

always been a great believer in sorting it yerself ... all you need most of the time is the knowledge to do so ... attitude's always been .... someone, somewhere made it ..... therefore it should be sortable!!
                Thats my mantra too Graham, but I have been challenged a few times over the years which necessitated a walk away for a cuppa, clear ones head and then crack on

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                the welder's a great tool and will last you forever .... treated right
                Cleaned the outer case etc, opened the filling port to have a gander in the guts of the welder and the oil is quite clean considering, but might treat her to some new love juice to get her loins well lubed with a bit of a tickle

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                'the other channel' is a bit of a PITA if you're trying to get on there ..... patience is a virtue .... as you've probably sussed
                I cant understand why someone would want to have a forum, but then deny people the ability to use it

I'm bored trying now - so I'll just read the various posts.

Comment

Aye just a wee bantam .. its a cracking wee thing .. I should upgrade I know .. but .. I'm a died in the wool stick man, I learned the art doing things like welding up farm muck spreaders, with zero prep no cleaning, no buffing .. and you had to learn make a weld hold .. now I have better gear .. its a pleasure to lay down some good metal in my own workshop .. I'm still learning here too though I'm after one of V8's jig tables I think

Originally posted by Ukjay View Post
                  I cant understand why someone would want to have a forum, but then deny people the ability to use it

Ive made excuses for that forum before now, to appease their members, that their owner was probably busy ?.. and all I got was dogs abuse from a bunch of idiot members ...its a clique with a hierarchy .. we don't run things here, like that .
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

everyone's granny's got an Oxford tucked away somewhere Jay

Comment

Thats my mantra too Graham, but I have been challenged a few times over the years which necessitated a walk away for a cuppa, clear ones head and then crack on

aye been there a few times too Boyo

Cleaned the outer case etc, opened the filling port to have a gander in the guts of the welder and the oil is quite clean considering, but might treat her to some new love juice to get her loins well lubed with a bit of a tickle
                      hell I binned about 40 gallons of tranny oil when I cleared my old w/shop .... out of four 300 amp Murex sets, that no one wanted to buy ..... other than the scrappy at 2 quid a kilo for the windings . .... was all as good as the day it went in 'em ..... probably 40 years earlier ....... I shouldn't worry about it ...... just ensure the windings are covered and she's up to the mark ... might struggle to find some to top up with TBH

well you ain't alone mate ....... there're a lot of very frustrated folk ..... who eventually get activated ..... bombard the email address of a certain person, morning, noon and night ... look in the relevant thread for the details!!

Comment

Aye just a wee bantam .. its a cracking wee thing .. I should upgrade I know .. but .. I'm a died in the wool stick man, I learned the art doing things like welding up farm muck spreaders, with zero prep no cleaning, no buffing .. and you had to learn make a weld hold .. now I have better gear .. its a pleasure to lay down some good metal in my own workshop .. I'm still learning here too though I'm after one of V8's jig tables I think
                        that's what stick is for Muz, primarily...... weldng the shit that others can't !! a decent weld on good material is incidental

Better get me benches bolted down BTLs of it

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                        Ive made excuses for that forum before now, to appease their members, that their owner was probably busy ?.. and all I got was dogs abuse from a bunch of idiot members ...its a clique with a hierarchy .. we don't run things here, like that .
                        Oh aye ...... I remember that .... didn't you get some shit for it ... sod all changes there though Muz

Comment

This site gets my vote muz, you removed my restrictions without question whereby you could quite easily have been militant. I also understand how things can go pete tong, as I was involved with a site from a completely different interest, and that started getting very clicky and protective of the sponsors no matter how they acted on the site.
                          In the end I had enough and quit, as lifes too short. Help where I can, ask for help when needed and thank the ones who kindly help.

Comment

Better get me benches bolted down BTLs of it
                            Aye, best do that Graham - you got a load of goodies

Comment

• Soooooo ......... how's it coming Jay?

Comment

Soooooo ......... how's it coming Jay?
                                Hi Graham,

Apologies for the somewhat delayed update, been hectic around here clearing sh!te, wiring in additional CCTV equipment working out how much twin wall for my natural spring diversion route, getting muck aways etc, but hey - at least Ye Olde Rusty is back earning his keep.
                                Will get the final shots up as soon as I can, but not much to see to be honest.

Also got to get some new pins ordered, as the existing ones are bollaxed, and I only have 1 size, but the skinny bucket needs a shorter one, then my 2 foot bucket needs a smaller od one

Think I will have to get them specially made - as I doubt they would be a stock item

Regds

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X