Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B issues oil pressure switch and exhaust

Hi All

Recently brought a Volvo EC15B for some work around the house has 1700 hours on the clock

All has been running fine, but recently I have had a couple of issues with the engine stopping when fairly cold, but started again straight away and after a couple of times doing this it was not a problem.

Decided to give it a full works service as overdue from the last given date, changed the oil filter, hydraulic filter, fuel x2, and air.

Came out to do some work this morning and after around 10 mins the digger has stopped and I have an oil pressure warning light showing and a stop light showing on the console. Oil levels are correct and not over filled and I have used the specified oils.

The digger will start, but cuts out again after about 30 seconds, can't see that I have disturbed any wires or such.

Also noticed the metal work around the body getting very hot and smoking out of the engine area towards the back, not all the time but when it has been used for around 20 mins.

Had a look around and although the engine area is very dirty and oily, I can't see any spilts or leaks from the oil or hydraulic pipes but could this be connected to my issue above?.

Also as a separate issue. The exhaust has sheared in half and need to get this out to repair, this is contributing to the messy engine bay I realise that but can this be done without removing the engine.

Help appreciated in these areas.

Thanks

Originally posted by Noel_ Colledge View Post
    Hi All

Recently brought a Volvo EC15B for some work around the house has 1700 hours on the clock

All has been running fine, but recently I have had a couple of issues with the engine stopping when fairly cold, but started again straight away and after a couple of times doing this it was not a problem.

Decided to give it a full works service as overdue from the last given date, changed the oil filter, hydraulic filter, fuel x2, and air.

Came out to do some work this morning and after around 10 mins the digger has stopped and I have an oil pressure warning light showing and a stop light showing on the console. Oil levels are correct and not over filled and I have used the specified oils.

The digger will start, but cuts out again after about 30 seconds, can't see that I have disturbed any wires or such.

Also noticed the metal work around the body getting very hot and smoking out of the engine area towards the back, not all the time but when it has been used for around 20 mins.

Had a look around and although the engine area is very dirty and oily, I can't see any spilts or leaks from the oil or hydraulic pipes but could this be connected to my issue above?.

Also as a separate issue. The exhaust has sheared in half and need to get this out to repair, this is contributing to the messy engine bay I realise that but can this be done without removing the engine.

Help appreciated in these areas.

Thanks
    best guess ...... you're filling the engine bay with V hot exhaust gases from the broken exhaust and the temperature sensors are shutting the motor down.
    fix the exhaust and see if it cures the problem.
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

one down one to go

Thanks for the info, trying to fix the exhaust at the moment, but a bitch to get at with the engine still in, trying to drop it out through the bottom but fighting all the way. I do not have a hoist else it would be simpler to remove the engine I guess. It is the connection from the silencer to the back box that is sheared off, when it comes out the metal is good so going to try and weld up in the first instance, but if I have to buy new where is the best place to get on from. I have no idea where to buy parts for this from. Based in Hereford if anyone knows of a local dealer, otherwise internet purchases.

Fixed the other problem with the oil pressur light, when I researched and eventually found out where the oil pressure sensor was, I found the positive lead had snapped in half. New spade connector and all is well again

Comment

Thanks for the info, trying to fix the exhaust at the moment, but a bitch to get at with the engine still in, trying to drop it out through the bottom but fighting all the way. I do not have a hoist else it would be simpler to remove the engine I guess. It is the connection from the silencer to the back box that is sheared off, when it comes out the metal is good so going to try and weld up in the first instance, but if I have to buy new where is the best place to get on from. I have no idea where to buy parts for this from. Based in Hereford if anyone knows of a local dealer, otherwise internet purchases.

Fixed the other problem with the oil pressur light, when I researched and eventually found out where the oil pressure sensor was, I found the positive lead had snapped in half. New spade connector and all is well again
        Lousy images but the jist of it ........

mark up orientation of parts before removal and bear in mind that what might come out in bits may not go back in as a whole

I'm in Pandy between Hereford and Abergavenny

No idea on a dealer I'm afraid ..... have a Google

Oh and welcome to the forum, by the way
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          Lousy images but the jist of it ........

mark up orientation of parts before removal and bear in mind that what might come out in bits may not go back in as a whole

I'm in Pandy between Hereford and Abergavenny

No idea on a dealer I'm afraid ..... have a Google

Oh and welcome to the forum, by the way
          Do a search here I've posted before about getting these boxes off, they are a pain in the ass
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Love Pandy V8druid, favourite route down to the steel horse cafe between Usk and Abergavenny when having a ride out.

In conclusion. The exhaust came out and had a weld up and is now back in and running fine. But what a bitch, as you say Muz.

You definitely need universal joints on your fingers to get at the bolts on the back bracket.Trying to line things up again to get it all to fit was a challenge even with slotted holes it seems to have twisted somehow.

So much easier if they had put a removable panel in the firewall

But for anyone else that needs to get at this it can be done just persevere.

I am just glad it was the back box and not the front pipes as I still have no idea how you would get at this one with the engine in place

Comment

Its an utter 'Bastardorial' fact that the design engineers didn't do this .. I dont know whats in the heads of some of these ? (Edit damn the profanity filter .. I meant Fan.nies )

Anyway, its a while since Ive done one, but I've got one on the horizon. IIRC theres enough movement in the tray that holds the engine, to allow you round the back without taking the engine out.

Glad you've got it all sorted now, as its a decent enough wee digger when its going ... just MRV pressures to keep an eye on now , but again its all in 'here' on the forum when you get to that stage
              Last edited by Muz; 31-07-2016, 11:51 AM. Reason: :eek: = :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Love Pandy V8druid, favourite route down to the steel horse cafe between Usk and Abergavenny when having a ride out.

In conclusion. The exhaust came out and had a weld up and is now back in and running fine. But what a bitch, as you say Muz.

You definitely need universal joints on your fingers to get at the bolts on the back bracket.Trying to line things up again to get it all to fit was a challenge even with slotted holes it seems to have twisted somehow.

But for anyone else that needs to get at this it can be done just persevere.

I am just glad it was the back box and not the front pipes as I still have no idea how you would get at this one with the engine in place
                Do you turn left at Llangua, after the bridge on the border and come up over the top on the old road ... past my place,top of Penbidwal lane ... or stay on the 465?
                Narrow but nice lil' run and a bit of a shortcut, comes out by the Llanvihangel Crucorney turning, for the Skirrid pub and village.

What do you ride? Haven't even taken the cover off my Wing this year ...... too much to do !!

Not been in the Steel Horse, since before it was converted from the Charthouse pub

Glad you got the exhaust sorted .... has it cured the m/c shutting down issue?

Comment

Hi

Have been down the A465 and the short cut Druid, mainly the A465 these days though as my main ride is a BMW K1600 and little heavy around the narrow lanes much like your Wing I guess. My Sunday bike is a Yam Midnight star so very different. Must have a ride along the short cut again sometime soon last time I went down it I found my way all the way to Crickhowell, not sure if I could do it again though..

The steel horse is worth a visit great food and plenty of it, prices are good but don't be in a rush to leave its all fresh cooked.

Surprising after feeling the exhaust in working order how much hot air this engine creates and no wonder the metal work was getting hot in this tight little space with it having no place to escape. All working well now so back to the footings.

Did read one of your earlier posts Muz on removing the tray but could not work it out if it just slid and stayed or would slide and fall out on the floor and leave me Boll*%ed. It was going to be my plan B if all else failed. I found 4 bolts to undo the engine which are on the mountings including the one on the exhaust bracket which goes against the 3 you mentioned to remove the tray. I squiffed it a little to get the silencer out but not sure if this helped any. What I found ironically was that a struggled to find the right angle to get the box out of the hole at the bottom, but having done that and moving to put the thing back in again, I could not stop the bloody thing from falling out when trying to fit the two 15mm Bolts back on the bracket as I could not put them on first and offer it up whole. ..Go Figure...

So I ask myself if it was worth removing the engine bolts after all, and did this cause my problems with alignment afterwards anyway

Excuse my ignorance though but what is the MRV pressure you mentioned, what does it control and what do I need to look out for?

Unrelated point, but my Manual for servicing states to remove the suction head on the hydraulics every 1000 hours for cleaning but it is none too clear where this is situated, I suspect that this has never been done so want to check it out. Where can I find it?? I have looked around the oil tank as shown on the line drawing, but suspect it must be in the engine bay somewhere. I have changed the filter and oil, but guess I would need to drain down the oil again to do this. Any ideas??

Comment

Hi

Have been down the A465 and the short cut Druid, mainly the A465 these days though as my main ride is a BMW K1600 and little heavy around the narrow lanes much like your Wing I guess. My Sunday bike is a Yam Midnight star so very different. Must have a ride along the short cut again sometime soon last time I went down it I found my way all the way to Crickhowell, not sure if I could do it again though..

The steel horse is worth a visit great food and plenty of it, prices are good but don't be in a rush to leave its all fresh cooked.

Surprising after feeling the exhaust in working order how much hot air this engine creates and no wonder the metal work was getting hot in this tight little space with it having no place to escape. All working well now so back to the footings.

Did read one of your earlier posts Muz on removing the tray but could not work it out if it just slid and stayed or would slide and fall out on the floor and leave me Boll*%ed. It was going to be my plan B if all else failed. I found 4 bolts to undo the engine which are on the mountings including the one on the exhaust bracket which goes against the 3 you mentioned to remove the tray. I squiffed it a little to get the silencer out but not sure if this helped any. What I found ironically was that a struggled to find the right angle to get the box out of the hole at the bottom, but having done that and moving to put the thing back in again, I could not stop the bloody thing from falling out when trying to fit the two 15mm Bolts back on the bracket as I could not put them on first and offer it up whole. ..Go Figure...

So I ask myself if it was worth removing the engine bolts after all, and did this cause my problems with alignment afterwards anyway

Excuse my ignorance though but what is the MRV pressure you mentioned, what does it control and what do I need to look out for?

Unrelated point, but my Manual for servicing states to remove the suction head on the hydraulics every 1000 hours for cleaning but it is none too clear where this is situated, I suspect that this has never been done so want to check it out. Where can I find it?? I have looked around the oil tank as shown on the line drawing, but suspect it must be in the engine bay somewhere. I have changed the filter and oil, but guess I would need to drain down the oil again to do this. Any ideas??
                    Suction head is in the tank on the pick up pipe Noel .... catches anything big-ish floating about in't tank, 'fore making friends with the pumps
                    the real filtration is done by the return filter and catches any shite floating about the system, as it is returned to the tank .... so the suction shouldn't in theory have a lot to do!!

Have heard tell the scran is good in the cafe ..... must find some time to try it for meself ...... but have to be careful what I eat these days ... fry ups are a no no

Must've been some convoluted route to end up in Crickhowell from the Groesonnen Road (short cut) Boyo ..... but it is do-able .... I'd have to think about it though

had to look up the K1600

that must be a nice motor with a straight six ... the wings 'Boxer' 1500 six is awesome but a hell of a lump ..... 'til it's under way

Only bike I've ever had where tyre noise is an issue and I've worn out the front tyre .. well before the rear ..... it's not only the youths who can get a little over-exuberant in the twisty bits ... for such a lump it is quite chuck-able ..... given practice

Glad to hear the lil' un's performing OK now ..... imagine how hot it must've been in there with all them gases looking for a way out
                    bet it's a much happier Ovlov now

Comment

The Beemer is as smooth as silk mate, plenty of power and torque from standstill to whatever.

Never written a bike that has absolutely no vibration well over a tun before this one, probably very similar to the wing in that respect, and I have had a few.

Only problem I have is in the twisties sometimes, not that it won't handle them because its no issue. When moving from the big Twin for the first time and being used to having a lot of engine braking, this has next to non. Therefore have to plan a lot more before hand and ensure I am in the right gear, If you are not careful you can go into them a little hotter than you had hoped and that's when you are grateful for all the other little tricks it has. Works the other way as well though end up driving into the bends on the twin and changing down while trying to fly over the handlebars when I don't need too. Would post a pic of it but can't work out how to do it yet.

The route to Crickhowell was a little weird, and as mentioned I don't think I could find the same one again. A case of stumbling on it by accident rather than design I think.

Thanks for the info in the suction head, I did not remove any pipes so this explains why I missed it. Might leave this till next time then based on your comments.

Happy digging

Comment

The Beemer is as smooth as silk mate, plenty of power and torque from standstill to whatever.

Never written a bike that has absolutely no vibration well over a tun before this one, probably very similar to the wing in that respect, and I have had a few.

Only problem I have is in the twisties sometimes, not that it won't handle them because its no issue. When moving from the big Twin for the first time and being used to having a lot of engine braking, this has next to non. Therefore have to plan a lot more before hand and ensure I am in the right gear, If you are not careful you can go into them a little hotter than you had hoped and that's when you are grateful for all the other little tricks it has. Works the other way as well though end up driving into the bends on the twin and changing down while trying to fly over the handlebars when I don't need too. Would post a pic of it but can't work out how to do it yet.

The route to Crickhowell was a little weird, and as mentioned I don't think I could find the same one again. A case of stumbling on it by accident rather than design I think.

Thanks for the info in the suction head, I did not remove any pipes so this explains why I missed it. Might leave this till next time then based on your comments.

Happy digging
                        Need to have made 10 posts before you get piccy privileges Noel ....... get that post count up Boyo ....... and some pix ............. we all love pix

Comment

Ok Thanks that explains it.

Makes 6 now nearly there

Comment

Working...
                          X