Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifton 1 ton high tip dumper. Hydraulic Leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greeves View Post
    Cheers V8druid. Yes.Thanks for the reply. Hope you are right. Everythings gone a bit mad recently, as opposed to a few weeks ago,when everything was a bit quite.Hope to get this done whithin the next week or so. Will update whatever.

Best Regards,
    Greeves.
    well you know what they say ..... "make hay while the sun shines" ..... phone might stop ringing tomorrow? Never can tell !!
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Update.

I had every intention, of taking some photos of the work on the dumper, but i am afraid i forgot my camera, and once i had started, just wanted to get it done.

Many thanks for all the help on the forum, and you were correct, once the four bolts were removed, and shaft nut, it was relatively straight forward to access the seals.

The next problem, was to find replacements. i could not find any identification no`s on the motors, but thanks to a friend who is an experienced fitter, he was pretty sure they were Eaton motors,his inspired knowledge turned out to be correct.

Then on to suppliers, here i was very fortunate, [again]. I contacted quite a few companies with no success, then had the luck to contact Primary Fluid Power LTD, from Knowsley, Merseyside. Who were extremely knowledgable and friendly, in fact went more than the extra mile to help me.

The seals are now in place, and no leaks!

Once again many thanks to all who helped.

Comment

Excellent stuff glad to be able to help
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I had every intention, of taking some photos of the work on the dumper, but i am afraid i forgot my camera, and once i had started, just wanted to get it done.

Many thanks for all the help on the forum, and you were correct, once the four bolts were removed, and shaft nut, it was relatively straight forward to access the seals.

The next problem, was to find replacements. i could not find any identification no`s on the motors, but thanks to a friend who is an experienced fitter, he was pretty sure they were Eaton motors,his inspired knowledge turned out to be correct.

Then on to suppliers, here i was very fortunate, [again]. I contacted quite a few companies with no success, then had the luck to contact Primary Fluid Power LTD, from Knowsley, Merseyside. Who were extremely knowledgable and friendly, in fact went more than the extra mile to help me.

The seals are now in place, and no leaks!

great when the buggers are oil tight eh?
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Might have tempted fate.!

Thanks once again for all the help.

I am afraid i might have been a bit optimistic As i have said i have limited mechanical knowledge.

When i tested the dumper after fitting the seals, i only trickled it in an out of a shed to see if it was leaking. it seemed alright.

Took it out today, to load on to trailer. Good news no leaks.

Bad news will not run properly. The rear wheels are not turning properly,they feel as if they are resisting, so much so as to make the front wheels spin and engine to stall.

Its not the hand brake. Because it doesnt work......Another thing i have to get round to

Is there something obvious i have missed, like a valve or something,anything is possible as i am pretty ham fisted.

As ever. i appreciate any ideas and help.

Comment

Thanks once again for all the help.

I am afraid i might have been a bit optimistic As i have said i have limited mechanical knowledge.

When i tested the dumper after fitting the seals, i only trickled it in an out of a shed to see if it was leaking. it seemed alright.

Took it out today, to load on to trailer. Good news no leaks.

Bad news will not run properly. The rear wheels are not turning properly,they feel as if they are resisting, so much so as to make the front wheels spin and engine to stall.

Its not the hand brake. Because it doesnt work......Another thing i have to get round to

Is there something obvious i have missed, like a valve or something,anything is possible as i am pretty ham fisted.

As ever. i appreciate any ideas and help.
              I'm wondering if that hub was 'timed' somehow ? you said you got good help from a hydraulics shop .. might be worth having a word with them, what did you see when you took the hub off ? shafts ? gears? or was it a reduction hub ? Would probably need a picture . Was it gear oil that was leaking or hydraulic ?
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                I'm wondering if that hub was 'timed' somehow ? you said you got good help from a hydraulics shop .. might be worth having a word with them, what did you see when you took the hub off ? shafts ? gears? or was it a reduction hub ? Would probably need a picture . Was it gear oil that was leaking or hydraulic ?
                Muz. Thanks once again.

Sorry mate, gears..... reduction hubs....I am having a serious Homer Simpson moment...

It was definately hydraulic oil. I was going to give them a ring anyway, they were very helpful .

Having said that,i have already "phoned a friend". He is going to have a look.

My motto is.. always quit when your behind

Will update when i have news.

Cheers,

Comment

Muz. Thanks once again.

Sorry mate, gears..... reduction hubs....I am having a serious Homer Simpson moment...

It was definately hydraulic oil. I was going to give them a ring anyway, they were very helpful .

Having said that,i have already "phoned a friend". He is going to have a look.

My motto is.. always quit when your behind

Will update when i have news.

Cheers,
                  Ok let us know. Often a Hydraulic drive system (since you confirmed the leaking oil was hydraulic) is just a hydraulic pump in reverse .. in that, it gets powered from another pump driven by the engine.

On your machine the flow rate is controlled from the engine driven pump, by your foot throttle, not the revs .. so this in turn gives the propulsion speed of the vehicle. Your machine has its engine revs static IIRC ?.... and the flow must be equalised to each corner to obtain equal drive speed.

I do remember that machine had a flow divider that split the pump output between the front and rear axles .. because they used to bust now and again.

So if you've reassembled the drive with different timing , it wont generate the same speed on the opposite side leading to a pressure difference which will show up at the flow divider causing a pressure difference between each axle, hence lack of drive.

Jack up the front and rear axles at the same time, and I bet it runs fine, because there is no ground resistance, and you may even see a difference in rotation speed between axles, and your wheel at fault ....thats my guess .. fear ye not, if this is the case, they are like slew motors (also made by Eaton) and your local shop will know how to re time them . You will need to strip the whole motor out though to take it to them.... I'd prefer to see a picture of what you found when you took the hub off though to confirm this theory before you go to any trouble and all of this is assuming we are on about an LS750 or 850 ofcourse ... even a whole machine picture would be good before we go any further

Comment

Ok let us know. Often a Hydraulic drive system (since you confirmed the leaking oil was hydraulic) is just a hydraulic pump in reverse .. in that, it gets powered from another pump driven by the engine.

On your machine the flow rate is controlled from the engine driven pump, by your foot throttle, not the revs .. so this in turn gives the propulsion speed of the vehicle. Your machine has its engine revs static IIRC ?.... and the flow must be equalised to each corner to obtain equal drive speed.

I do remember that machine had a flow divider that split the pump output between the front and rear axles .. because they used to bust now and again.

So if you've reassembled the drive with different timing , it wont generate the same speed on the opposite side leading to a pressure difference which will show up at the flow divider causing a pressure difference between each axle, hence lack of drive.

Jack up the front and rear axles at the same time, and I bet it runs fine, because there is no ground resistance, and you may even see a difference in rotation speed between axles, and your wheel at fault ....thats my guess .. fear ye not, if this is the case, they are like slew motors (also made by Eaton) and your local shop will know how to re time them . You will need to strip the whole motor out though to take it to them.... I'd prefer to see a picture of what you found when you took the hub off though to confirm this theory before you go to any trouble and all of this is assuming we are on about an LS750 or 850 ofcourse ... even a whole machine picture would be good before we go any further
                    Thanks once again Muz. You are spot on again. I have given it to my friend, who thought it might be a timing issue. He also confirmed that with the very friendly people at Primary fluid Power.

He is going to have a go himself, if not Primary fluid power have kindly offered to do it, if all doesnt go according to plan.

BTW. I found a small plaque,which had been obscured by years of mud and grime. It was actually made by Powerfab,which i think is pre Lifton?
                    So makes it a bit of an antique like me.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
                    Greeves.

Comment

Well keep us posted .. I once buggered up a slew motor, that was an orbital lobe motor/georotor thing that had an eliptical shaft output .. it had about 8 plates about 4mm thick and 100mm diameter that looked like a bit like this

US6155808-6.jpg

How my hydraulics shop fixed ill never know ... it made no sense to me at all

Comment

Update

Thanks to everyone, once again.
                        The dumper is now running like a good"un again. Muz, You were correct it was the "timing" on the motor.
                        I am afraid i cant claim credit for the repair. It was all down to my friend,who persevered, until he got it right.
                        One other thing that has come out of this, is i did not realise how old it was,[think i will be entering a few steam fairs soon!!
                        Still plenty of life left in the old girl yet though.
                        Many Thanks once again.

Regards,
                        Greeves.

Comment

Excellent .. Just a minor hiccup in the repair... which happens to us all now and again, no matter how experienced we are

Comment

Well keep us posted .. I once buggered up a slew motor, that was an orbital lobe motor/georotor thing that had an eliptical shaft output .. it had about 8 plates about 4mm thick and 100mm diameter that looked like a bit like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3313[/ATTACH]

How my hydraulics shop fixed ill never know ... it made no sense to me at all

Jeeeeezus ..... that is some motor pack Muz ... degree in astrophysics required to time that ..... or a good book

Comment

Working...
                            X