Impossible to get a start when new ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible to get a start when new ?

Having taken to the telehandler really easily since the start of the year, i was considering further training to do my 360 excavator, however having a site manager tell me it`s a waste of money because nobody will ever start me, i am now thinking again but surely ever digger driver was new at one point ?

So far the sites i have been on other than 1 the digger drivers did not do anything that seemed hugely difficult, surely a new operator can get a start on a basic site and build up to doing grading etc

Also any tips would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by ultimate driver View Post
    Having taken to the telehandler really easily since the start of the year, i was considering further training to do my 360 excavator, however having a site manager tell me it`s a waste of money because nobody will ever start me
    He sounds a bit presumptious ? .. the more irons in the fire the better as far as I'm concerned
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I think what the site manager is referring to is without experience , you will find it hard to find someone willing to give you a go .To be honest , watching a good operator on an excavator , he will make it look easy , and it is with time in the seat .
      I was lucky , got my tickets working for the local council .They had an old Hymac ,it was used to dig the hole at the rubbish dump , Dig the hole ,load it into trucks to stockpile for cover .So no real pressure for production , and learnt to make the machine flow as you dig .
      From there ,on the the backhoe that no one else wanted to operate .. Then on to the front line machine , but once again , as it was a 4 lever massey 50B , it was not popular with the other operators. But being the oldest machine , i was in the box seat for the brand new replacement . Got a new 3CX .
      Got headhunted by a contractor , Once again got to learn new skills with a different class of work .
      The secret is getting the hours up wiggling the sticks . My suggestion would be get the ticket , then maybe search out a farmer with an excavator .Offer towork for free , and gain those seat hours .Once you feel that you can handle the machine , then ask the site manager if you can get some seat time during lunch .I reckon he will watch you like a hawk , to make sure you don't break something . If he sees you look OK , I would think the first time someone calls in sickyou will be at the top of the list to fill the seat .
      I have no experience with the way things work in the UK as if what i suggest is possible ,But that is what i would try .

Comment

Agree with all of that Ian .. I just think some jumped up pks wont give guys a chance sometimes .. I mean I know its hard , and a chicken and egg situation sometimes but I'll give you a good example here

Some of my hires are from the 'self drive' side of things .. you hire a digger to a guy at the weekend to do his garden .. no experience .. some times you go back to collect it and the place looks like a nuclear test site .. but the guy is still smiling .. other times its like a bowling green, and the guy is like .. . I missed a bit ?

Every body takes it up at different speeds .. so go get the ticket OP
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i was planning to hire a mini digger to do my garden anyway and think this can give me not only some practice time on a small machine to get the basic controls, but also give me a guide as to how quickly i take to it

Allowing for the fact skilled experienced digger operator would make foundations and grading slopes look easy, quite a few of the sites i have been on including this one did not involve anything like that, it has been pretty simple work like filling my dumper with stone, simple digging of earth to remove boulders and skimming the ground to a roughly flat level, nothing that seemed very difficult

Surely that must be enough simple jobs like that where a new operator can gain control skills doing pretty basic work, i had hoped by gaining a few tickets it would make me stand out and also easier to get a start, like starting on a site as a telehandler etc then when a simple task came up like just filling a dumper, it would easy to say let him fill his own dumper

Obviously i am watching the digger operators like a hawk and asking hopefully the right questions to learn tricks that have picked up over time, i think i will have better idea after hiring the mini digger

Comment

go for it ..... everyone started at the bottom and climbed the ladder ..... aptitude is a huge factor IMHDO .... if you enjoy seat time and honing your skills ..... it shows . If you're a rough ****er with the machine and have no consideration for it or what you're doing that'll stand out too ...

Best m/c op I ever saw was so good his 20 tonner looked like a big animal about the site .... smooth as silk motions ... it looked alive and not at all like a piece of machinery .... you get to that level and you'll always be in demand.

IMHDO the key thing for a decent op is to be relaxed and in complete control of every aspect .... without having to even think about it .... an extension of your own body .... when you get to that level, you'll have made it Boyo
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
            X